What really is a Sale???

Do you think the pricing on May 1 2014 was correct or did someone just forget to up the base prices?

I think it was a real sale, in the sense that they discounted the prices from what they were the day before.

There are still some bargains out there but you have to look for them. Last week we booked a 6 nighter on the Freedom Promenade cabin for a total of $808 (for 2 people, port charges a taxes included) There are some balcony deals on the big ships for Sept/Dec 2018. I booked a couple trips for as low as $1224 (total for 2) plus $200 obc Balcony discount is included in my price.

I was looking for a different cruise line when I decided to drop Carnival. We booked the Oasis and have read so much on here about these fake sales and how deceitful RC is. I held off on ordering Voom but knew I would eventually. I checked the price and was fine with it but just didn't take the time to buy it. I received an email about a "sale". I checked and the price is several dollars more per day under this lie/sale. I wish they wouldn't lie.

I was looking for a different cruise line when I decided to drop Carnival. We booked the Oasis and have read so much on here about these fake sales and how deceitful RC is. I held off on ordering Voom but knew I would eventually. I checked the price and was fine with it but just didn't take the time to buy it. I received an email about a "sale". I checked and the price is several dollars more per day under this lie/sale. I wish they wouldn't lie.

It really is not lying at all. Everything is pretty much always on sale, just different sales. Items also get priced differently depending on demand. If there is high demand for a particular sailing on say voom, the price will probably go up because it is in demand. If people stop buying, the price goes down to try and spur demand.

This is no different than all of the department store (kohls comes to mind). If you buy anything at less than approximately 30% off at Kohls, you probably paid higher than msrp on the item. Jewelry stores do this, car dealerships do this. It has been proved time and again, that having a higher price and then doing a "sale" gets more people to buy.

In the end, just like with the cruise itself, buy it when the value is there for you compared to the price. If it is too high, then do not purchase it. With things like drink packages, internet and shore excursions, if the price goes down, simply cancel, and rebook at the lower price. You have the advantage there.

• 3 months later...
Never pay the brochure price. Look at 3 discounters and compare their prices. What? you don't use discounters????

I haven't been able to cruise in awhile, but I had been under the impression that RCCL prices were never discounted. I thought that the only benefit to be had was some freebies added on by TAs. Was I wrong, or has that changed??? Thanks in advance

I haven't been able to cruise in awhile, but I had been under the impression that RCCL prices were never discounted. I thought that the only benefit to be had was some freebies added on by TAs. Was I wrong, or has that changed??? Thanks in advance

Travel agents may have group space reserved at a time when prices were lower.