Power outage in Atlanta

njkruzer

A day later and 26 posts into it and not one fellow Cruise Critic member stopped by to say they were effected by the power outage... good news for sure.

Also have to consider that it all started around noon. Most cruisers should have been at the pier by then.

This is exactly why I never, ever fly in on the day of my cruise.

I can relax knowing I have at least a day between.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Same here, but in this case you still might be SOL. Hard to believe the world's busiest airport doesn't have adequate back up electricity.

Same here, but in this case you still might be SOL. Hard to believe the world's busiest airport doesn't have adequate back up electricity.

They have a redundant system. Too bad the cables for it are right next to the main system cables...so when there’s a fire they both go.

Poor planning.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A single point of failuredoes not a redundant system make....

Hopefully they've learned their lesson, but it doesn't help thepoor people who spent hours on the tarmac or had to sleep in the airport. Could take days to get all flights back to normal. I feel so sorry for all those folks who've had their travel/vacation plans disrupted. Monetary reimbursement from travel insurance is nice (if lucky enough to have it) but doesn't make up for all the inconvenience.

No sleeping in the airport, they were all taken outside.

We were stranded and flying from DTW; but plane from Atlanta and crew didn't arrive plus all flights were booked with all airlines so could not get out. Flying in the day before didn't help if you had a flight after noon like we did plus neither did having insurance with Allianz, or most other insurance companies. It does not cover power outages. Trip interruption must be mechanical by plane ; not airport or due to weather conditions. Even worse; we were in touch more than a dozen times with NCL and told they would not hold ship as few had notified them that they were delayed ( But they could see many were but didn't have proof why... largest power outage to hit but cruisers did not call in to let them know) but told us to get there as fast as possible as they would overlook the two hour prior that you should be on board. ; we arrived at MIA port at 3:40; (called them at 3:15 and told them we had landed and was on our way; ship was to depart at 4 but didn't leave till 4:30 but would not let us on; and we are platinum plus. Could not gamble and spend more to fly and wait for ship in Grand Caymen which was a tender port as last itinerary they didn't stop there due to high winds so Delta... nice Delta gave us a flight home BUT Norweigan nor insurance company will even talk to us. Any advise?... except fly in three days early or drive. Out all our cruise money and home for Christmas.

Veteran cruisers.

Any advise?... except fly in three days early or drive. Out all our cruise money and home for Christmas.

I'm afraid you're kind of SOL on this one. As I suspected earlier in this thread, travel insurance generally only covers delays by medical, weather, and sometimes the common carrier (the term they use for the airline, or cruise line, or train company, etc).

I'm not sure there is anything more you could do for the future. There may be more comprehensive policies, but I have a feeling you'd need the "cancel for any reason" coverage for something like this and that only covers at most 75% (still better than 0%). The cost is far higher though.

On the bright side, the odds of something like this happening to you again are extremely low...

ship was to depart at 4 but didn't leave till 4:30 but would not let us on; and we are platinum plus.

You could try arguing for a future cruise credit, but sounds like you've already gone down that road. Goes to prove the point though that there is no reason at all to be "loyal" to a corporation, because they're loyalty is to the stockholders and stockholders only.

....nor insurance company will even talk to us.

Veteran cruisers.

I am frankly amazed that this wasn't covered under your insurance policy. Isn't this one of the points of insurance? This was, by no means, anything in your control, was a problem with the common carrier, and should be fully covered. At least the "trip interruption" portion should kick in and you should be reimbursed for portion of the trip you missed and cost of catching the boat. I'm really surprised.

We were stranded and flying from DTW; but plane from Atlanta and crew didn't arrive plus all flights were booked with all airlines so could not get out. Flying in the day before didn't help if you had a flight after noon like we did plus neither did having insurance with Allianz, or most other insurance companies. It does not cover power outages. Trip interruption must be mechanical by plane ; not airport or due to weather conditions. Even worse; we were in touch more than a dozen times with NCL and told they would not hold ship as few had notified them that they were delayed ( But they could see many were but didn't have proof why... largest power outage to hit but cruisers did not call in to let them know) but told us to get there as fast as possible as they would overlook the two hour prior that you should be on board. ; we arrived at MIA port at 3:40; (called them at 3:15 and told them we had landed and was on our way; ship was to depart at 4 but didn't leave till 4:30 but would not let us on; and we are platinum plus. Could not gamble and spend more to fly and wait for ship in Grand Caymen which was a tender port as last itinerary they didn't stop there due to high winds so Delta... nice Delta gave us a flight home BUT Norweigan nor insurance company will even talk to us. Any advise?... except fly in three days early or drive. Out all our cruise money and home for Christmas.

Veteran cruisers.

Have you posted this on the NCL boards. Maybe someone there has contact information for some of the executives that you could plead your case to and hope for a FCC.

Have you posted this on the NCL boards. Maybe someone there has contact information for some of the executives that you could plead your case to and hope for a FCC.

Thanks Ken; will post there. Have sent NCL a registered letter but of course; no reply.

I'm afraid you're kind of SOL on this one. As I suspected earlier in this thread, travel insurance generally only covers delays by medical, weather, and sometimes the common carrier (the term they use for the airline, or cruise line, or train company, etc).

I'm not sure there is anything more you could do for the future. There may be more comprehensive policies, but I have a feeling you'd need the "cancel for any reason" coverage for something like this and that only covers at most 75% (still better than 0%). The cost is far higher though.

On the bright side, the odds of something like this happening to you again are extremely low...

You could try arguing for a future cruise credit, but sounds like you've already gone down that road. Goes to prove the point though that there is no reason at all to be "loyal" to a corporation, because they're loyalty is to the stockholders and stockholders only.

I agree geomancer.. think we are SOL but will keep fighting and yes; no loyalty companies have.

I am frankly amazed that this wasn't covered under your insurance policy. Isn't this one of the points of insurance? This was, by no means, anything in your control, was a problem with the common carrier, and should be fully covered. At least the "trip interruption" portion should kick in and you should be reimbursed for portion of the trip you missed and cost of catching the boat. I'm really surprised.

Everyone is quick to say this but check your insurance policy and I am pretty sure; you don't have it either. If there's a computer glitch and airlines can't check to make sure you are screened for correct identity; which happened once a few years ago; not covered. Only 26 reason when insurance pays when your trip is interrupted. As policies state: premium would be unreal if they covered every reason... so BE AWARE.