Cruising out of Baltimore in the Winter

IMSAILING

I've only ever cruised out of Florida or San Juan - If we were to book the Pride for February - How long until we are in the warmth ?

depends on the luck of the weather, but at least the afternoon of the 1st full day, but more then likely it will not be until the second full day. It takes until close to midnight just to get out to the ocean from Baltimore, so its quite awhile before you get south. The pool will be enclosed, so you can swim the first full day, but it will probably be the second full day, or day 3 before you get nice warm weather.

depends on the luck of the weather, but at least the afternoon of the 1st full day, but more then likely it will not be until the second full day. It takes until close to midnight just to get out to the ocean from Baltimore, so its quite awhile before you get south. The pool will be enclosed, so you can swim the first full day, but it will probably be the second full day, or day 3 before you get nice warm weather.

This is my understanding but we haven't done this ourselves (and have 68 days before we do:)).

We sailed her in May once and it was colder than usual when we left. They cover part of the Lido deck so we could use the pool but there was plenty going on the rest of the ship to keep us occupied. We were in warmer weather when we woke up but it didn't get nice and hot until Florida. The crew really went out of their way to make sure we had plenty of indoor activities so we were never bored. I would do a winter cruise out of Baltimore again if I get the chance.

We have cruised several times out of Baltimore in January and February. All but one cruise we had nice warm weather by the middle of the first full day. However, the one cruise we didn't have warm weather at all except for 2 days. It was only 50 some degrees in Florida and the Bahamas.

Like someone else stated it really is based a lot on luck. :) But we love the Pride and the enclosed pool area is very nice.

We have decided we will only do longer 14 day cruises to the Southern Caribbean from Baltimore in the winter now.

Give it a shot and just be prepared for some cooler weather. Bring the appropriate clothes and have a great time. The Pride is an awesome ship and Baltimore is a great port. ENJOY!!

you might be saving money, but there is no way I would want to be aon a cruise and lose 2 days each way. I have heard stories of a foot of snow on the Lido deck, no thanks

For our trip in February there are 5 parties going with a total of 11 people. Getting south any other way is cost prohibitive for the group and we wouldn't be able to afford that plus a 7 day cruise (it would likely be two days on the road each way with a 4 day cruise in between). I would much rather be on a cruise ship for the trip down and back, more room and everyone can relax and have fun.

For our trip in February there are 5 parties going with a total of 11 people. Getting south any other way is cost prohibitive for the group and we wouldn't be able to afford that plus a 7 day cruise (it would likely be two days on the road each way with a 4 day cruise in between). I would much rather be on a cruise ship for the trip down and back, more room and everyone can relax and have fun.

We sailed on the Pride last NYE and the weather was not all that bad. Granted it maybe a crap shoot, but it was a great cruise, weather included.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I will be finding out in about 40 days. Cruising at the end of Jan.

Snow, no snow, cold, not cold. Doesn't matter to me. I will be on a ship heading south and not at my desk dreaming of being on a ship heading south.

There is an enclosure over the pool so you can feel like you're sunbathing even if you are technically not. The Pride is a great ship, food and crew great, the port is very easy. I have sailed the Pride from both Baltimore and Tampa, one time in the hurricane Joaquim when I never got off the ship. All my cruises on her have been great and mostly warm and sunny.

We go late Jan/or Feb most years. It might be wintery when we leave and until we pass the Outer Banks but most years it is warm afterwards. One year we came back from a great cruise and found Boy Scouts ready to dig out parked cars (7" of snow in B-more). That was a surprise for sure!

Big mistake!

Speaking from experience, I disagree that it is a "big mistake". You just have to adjust your expectations and understand that you will have some cold days. But the Pride is a great ship and Baltimore is a wonderful port.

Carnival (and Royal) have no issues filling their ships in the winter out of Baltimore. Plenty of people, myself included, don't mind cruising this time of year. :)

Give it a try and decide for yourself.

We have sailed the Pride 7 times, as others have said about mid afternoon if the weather is on your side it should be fine. During one of our sailing it was so cold and rainy we only had one nice day. The roof over the main pool cannot be opened until the first stop. If they open the roof they will close it on the last stop.

With all that said a day on a cruise ship is better than a day at work. (y)

• Like 1

as someone said, if airline tickets are your deal breaker, I guess Baltimore would be OK, but not for us. We cruise for the weather and always head south to cruise. There would be no reason to fly from Denver to Baltimore to cruise.