Prepaid Gratuities

cflips7

If you have already made final payment can you add the prepaid gratuities and pay them right away? If so up until how long before you leave can you do this?

Yes, you can. As far as how close to the cruise, I'm afraid I can't answer that, but I would assume pretty close.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

As a side issue, we just got off Vista a week ago. When we checked in for YTD, the printed "receipt" which we carried to the dining room had our cabin number, our names and "Prepaid Gratuities--YES" written on in. Surprising to us. I guess it's Carnival's way to alert dining room staff. Hope they don't treat people worse if it said "NO" on it!!! We tipped our wait staff extra every night, as this was the first time we didn't request the same servers---disappointed with the service the first night, so we took our chances.

As a side issue, we just got off Vista a week ago. When we checked in for YTD, the printed "receipt" which we carried to the dining room had our cabin number, our names and "Prepaid Gratuities--YES" written on in. Surprising to us. I guess it's Carnival's way to alert dining room staff. Hope they don't treat people worse if it said "NO" on it!!! We tipped our wait staff extra every night, as this was the first time we didn't request the same servers---disappointed with the service the first night, so we took our chances.

I'm not sure why it was printed on your receipt, but whether you pay the gratuities before your cruise or wait for them to be applied to your S&S card the 2nd/3rd day of the cruise doesn't really reflect whether you're the kind of person who would have the tips removed... lots of people prefer to not prepay their gratuities so they can use OBC etc, so I'm pretty sure this note isn't for dining staff...

I'm not sure why it was printed on your receipt, but whether you pay the gratuities before your cruise or wait for them to be applied to your S&S card the 2nd/3rd day of the cruise doesn't really reflect whether you're the kind of person who would have the tips removed... lots of people prefer to not prepay their gratuities so they can use OBC etc, so I'm pretty sure this note isn't for dining staff...

Not sure why they would do it for YTD but one of the waiters for traditional seating told me they can see who has prepaid their tips. I know the Room Steward has it on their clipboard as I have seen it.

Now the speculation and debate can and will continue on whether or not people think you get better service one way or the other. Only thing I can say is I prepay and have always gotten excellent service in the MDR except my second time on the Conquest. It was SO slow. Room Stewards have been great.

If you have already made final payment can you add the prepaid gratuities and pay them right away? If so up until how long before you leave can you do this?

This past cruise I paid the gratuities 48 hours before the cruise. Took the email confirming it just in case, but no issues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We pre-pay our gratuities each time - and I haven't recognized any better service because of it: this Fall on the Dream, service was so awful from our cabin steward and so slow/bad tables in the MDR that we aren't even excited about sailing again. That's sad.

When we checked in for YTD, the printed "receipt" which we carried to the dining room had our cabin number, our names and "Prepaid Gratuities--YES" written on in.

I am curious, why do you take a receipt to the dining room with you? All of your meals are included in the MDR so you don't have to show them you've paid to eat. :confused:

On the Vista, if you have Your Time Dining you go to the 5th floor, check in and they'll give you a slip of paper to take to the MDR on the 3rd floor at the designated time- often there's no wait, they say, but sometimes you have to wait a bit before the MDR can accommodate you in YTD.

This is only true as far as I know on the Vista... all other ships you just go to MDR for YTD- if there's a wait they will give you a pager.

On the Vista, if you have Your Time Dining you go to the 5th floor, check in and they'll give you a slip of paper to take to the MDR on the 3rd floor at the designated time- often there's no wait, they say, but sometimes you have to wait a bit before the MDR can accommodate you in YTD.

This is only true as far as I know on the Vista... all other ships you just go to MDR for YTD- if there's a wait they will give you a pager.

ah gotcha. I was totally lost but that makes sense. Thanks!

Sunshine is the same way, check in on deck 5