Missing Oceania Badly!

curtdesilets

Our last cruise was a Thanksgiving Cruise on Emerald Princess with over 3500 pax and over 700 children! The only saving grace was the sanctuary we were able to retreat to called "Club Class". Looking forward to a much more refined and civilized experience on Regatta this coming summer! :)

Our last cruise was a Thanksgiving Cruise on Emerald Princess with over 3500 pax and over 700 children! The only saving grace was the sanctuary we were able to retreat to called "Club Class". Looking forward to a much more refined and civilized experience on Regatta this coming summer! :)

Probably not a good idea to sail on any cruiseline that has a younger demographic during a time when children are off school (holidays, spring break & summer). It's not the total number of passengers as much as the fact that you chose a time when many of those passengers would be children. What other time can families sail together?

If you want to avoid children, sail during times when kids are in school or on cruiselines that have predominantly older passengers (luxury lines or HAL). That will likely cause you less stress. ;)

700 children. That is more than the R ship (lower berth) capacity. One day I'd like to try one of those huge ship recognizing it will be a very different experience but I would not go during a holiday or school break. Though I know many families have little choice and multi-generational travel means having to go when the vacation time aligns. You are far braver than I am. Being able to escape to some more private area would be wonderful I think.

Welcome back to O. It will feel even better now.

...One day I'd like to try one of those huge ship recognizing it will be a very different experience.....

I usually sail on large (not huge) ships and haven't had a very different experience than I did on O. On larger ships there were lines at some places but sometimes there were crowds at Insignia's buffet. There may be more passengers on a large ship but there will also be more space for them.

I think a cruise is what you make it; I've enjoyed all of mine, even on Carnival. ;p

I usually sail on large (not huge) ships and haven't had a very different experience than I did on O. On larger ships there were lines at some places but sometimes there were crowds at Insignia's buffet. There may be more passengers on a large ship but there will also be more space for them.

I think a cruise is what you make it; I've enjoyed all of mine, even on Carnival. ;p

If that statement is true, then you would be crazy to pay Oceania's prices. :o

Why is it still in the mix?

We seem to have a small very vocal cadre of posters that strive to avoid not only our youth but even adults under 55-60! That sentiment is not shared by all O cruisers.

On the O cruises I’ ve been on with children and young adults, it has always been the older crowd that has been more unruly, ill mannered, in polite, and demanding than the younger passengers. Perhaps the old geezers find watching the better behaved youth to infuriating to deal with!

I think it is VERY unreasonable to label "unruly,impolite,demanding" crowds according to age....Those characteristics can show up at any 'adult' age, and it varies from cruise to cruise ...

So I believe both sides of arguments are waste of time,and create un-necessary , "unpleasant" conversations

Those aside,I would never want to be on a cruise with 700 children!!

If that statement is true, then you would be crazy to pay Oceania's prices. :o

Why is it still in the mix?

Because their Cuba and world cruise itineraries were the ones we liked best. :halo:

My answer to the poster was actually a comparison of large vs. small ship experiences, not about the cost of a cruise. ;)