Umbrella or other shade on an aft balcony

Griff61

Hi Aft Rat cruisers.

Has anyone rigged up some type of sun shade on an aft balcony be it an umbrella or something else. DW and I are sailing on one for our first ever cruise and we are heat lovers but just in case it gets to hot was wondering if there is a way to rig something up. Deck 7 on Freedom

TIA

The only way I have figured out to get partial shade is to book the deck directly below Lido on your particular ship.

The overhang from Lido provides partial shade a good part of the day.

I thought of that before booking but thought that it would be noisy from the deck chairs and activity above

Sent from my SM-G950W using Forums mobile app

From Carnival's FAQ's:

EXEMPTIONS (ITEMS FOR PORT USE ONLY)

The following items may be brought on board but can only be used off the ship, for port use only. All items must be stored in the guest’s stateroom.

• Drone Cameras
  • Snorkel gear
  • Segways
  • Skateboards
  • Golf clubs
  • Fishing rods
  • Tennis rackets
  • Kites
  • Roller blades or skates
  • Collapsible Wagon *
  • Metal detectors
  • Boogie Boards (maximum 42 inches in length)
  • Beach chair
  • Umbrella
  • Portable Folding Bicycles (maximum 20 inch tires)

* For the safety of our guests, the collapsible wagon cannot be rolled onto/off the ship during embarkation and debarkation and cannot be rolled off/onto the ship while in port.

Please Note - It is the responsibility of the guest to check with the local laws of each port as Carnival will not be responsible for confiscated items by Foreign Governments.

Before you pack, please review Carnival Corporation Prohibited Items and Carnival Cruise Line Additional Prohibited Items, Exemptions and Other Considerations.

For your reference, these items cannot be taken off the ship in the United States during the cruise or debarkation day.

From Carnival's FAQ's:

EXEMPTIONS (ITEMS FOR PORT USE ONLY)

The following items may be brought on board but can only be used off the ship, for port use only. All items must be stored in the guest’s stateroom.

• Drone Cameras
  • Snorkel gear
  • Segways
  • Skateboards
  • Golf clubs
  • Fishing rods
  • Tennis rackets
  • Kites
  • Roller blades or skates
  • Collapsible Wagon *
  • Metal detectors
  • Boogie Boards (maximum 42 inches in length)
  • Beach chair
  • Umbrella
  • Portable Folding Bicycles (maximum 20 inch tires)

* For the safety of our guests, the collapsible wagon cannot be rolled onto/off the ship during embarkation and debarkation and cannot be rolled off/onto the ship while in port.

Please Note - It is the responsibility of the guest to check with the local laws of each port as Carnival will not be responsible for confiscated items by Foreign Governments.

Before you pack, please review Carnival Corporation Prohibited Items and Carnival Cruise Line Additional Prohibited Items, Exemptions and Other Considerations.

For your reference, these items cannot be taken off the ship in the United States during the cruise or debarkation day.

Thanks Already have seen that

Depending on the direction of travel you will have shade or full sun. You can bring an umbrella but you will not be allowed anything that attaches to any part of the balcony.

I think you picked the wrong cabin because if it's shady on the way out it's going to be sunny on the way back. Hope for cloudy skies.

Take care,

Mike

Depending on the direction of travel you will have shade or full sun. You can bring an umbrella but you will not be allowed anything that attaches to any part of the balcony.

I think you picked the wrong cabin because if it's shady on the way out it's going to be sunny on the way back. Hope for cloudy skies.

Take care,

Mike

Hi Mike

Thanks for the reply. DW and I both like it hot, we spend 8 months a year in Thailand, but my Dw's major concern is getting browner. She spends a lot of money , as most asian women do to get lighter skin, so it's the sun for her.

I will just have to keep her in the air conditioned Redfrog pub [emoji6] [emoji6]

I thought of that before booking but thought that it would be noisy from the deck chairs and activity above

I have read that too. My personal experience, three times on the Magic, was that it is a non-issue. Out of all those days/nights I may have heard it two or three times, for less than two or three minutes duration, and it wasn't loud enough to be bothersome.

Whatever you choose, I hope you love it. You simply can't beat the 180 degree view.

I have read that too. My personal experience, three times on the Magic, was that it is a non-issue. Out of all those days/nights I may have heard it two or three times, for less than two or three minutes duration, and it wasn't loud enough to be bothersome.

Whatever you choose, I hope you love it. You simply can't beat the 180 degree view.

Thanks for that info. I will move up a deck next time.

Take care,

Mike

Hi Mike

Thanks for the reply. DW and I both like it hot, we spend 8 months a year in Thailand, but my Dw's major concern is getting browner. She spends a lot of money , as most asian women do to get lighter skin, so it's the sun for her.

I will just have to keep her in the air conditioned Redfrog pub [emoji6] [emoji6]

There are three things you can do that would help. #1 Be generous with the sun block. #2 Have plenty of icy cold beverages on hand, either in an ice bucket or cooler. #3 When the sun and heat become a too intense, take a break and go back inside your cabin for a little while.