End of August and Cruising with Kids

LuCruise

Anyone done a cruise in August or September? If so, are the seas rough due to hurricane season? Is it 'party' time for cruising?

We have a week cruise booked in March 2019 on Royal's newest ship with our kids who will be 13 and 9. We're looking at a mini vacation end of the summer between camp and start of school (we're Canadian so our kids start after labor day) and I noticed a 4 day cruise on Mariner of the Seas. It's apparently getting refurbished and think our kids would love this ship too . They have been on Allure.

We are also looking at the option of doing a land vacation with visiting Chicago for the similar number of days. The flight is cheaper for us to Chicago but when I price out the whole trip, the cruise will probably be less (or similar as its hard to say since Chicago would need food + tourist attractions ontop of it...but for a cruise, we would need a hotel for night before).

So this is the big debate. I'm voting for the cruise since we love cruising, but am concerned of the weather (heat is perfect for swimming and beach weather at the ports, but concerned of rough waters)...Also...since it's a 4 day cruise I'm concerned of a 'party' cruise with college kids. My husband is leaning towards Chicago since we have a cruise booked already plus we've never been to Chicago.

Any comments about cruising that time of year? Or votes either way? ;) As a note...I am happy with Chicago too, but am just looking at options.

Since you are considering RCI I would post there to get others who have taken a four day RCI cruise during that time period to comment.

My experience is that four day cruises tend to have a bit more partying but again I would ask on the RCI Board.

Keith

Anyone done a cruise in August or September? If so, are the seas rough due to hurricane season? Is it 'party' time for cruising?

We have a week cruise booked in March 2019 on Royal's newest ship with our kids who will be 13 and 9. We're looking at a mini vacation end of the summer between camp and start of school (we're Canadian so our kids start after labor day) and I noticed a 4 day cruise on Mariner of the Seas. It's apparently getting refurbished and think our kids would love this ship too . They have been on Allure.

We are also looking at the option of doing a land vacation with visiting Chicago for the similar number of days. The flight is cheaper for us to Chicago but when I price out the whole trip, the cruise will probably be less (or similar as its hard to say since Chicago would need food + tourist attractions ontop of it...but for a cruise, we would need a hotel for night before).

So this is the big debate. I'm voting for the cruise since we love cruising, but am concerned of the weather (heat is perfect for swimming and beach weather at the ports, but concerned of rough waters)...Also...since it's a 4 day cruise I'm concerned of a 'party' cruise with college kids. My husband is leaning towards Chicago since we have a cruise booked already plus we've never been to Chicago.

Any comments about cruising that time of year? Or votes either way? ;) As a note...I am happy with Chicago too, but am just looking at options.

I have cruised twice in August/ September. The first time to the Caribbean and we didn't make a stop in two of the island because of hurricanes. The second was to Bermuda from Boston and the weather was great. Weather can be unpredictable as I've cruised in December and the ship was very rocky because of the waves.

Sent from my SM-J320P using Forums mobile app

First of all, I would not be concerned with the weather or the seas as both are impossible to predict and can be equally calm or equally rough at any time of the year. This past season not withstanding as it was unusually severe, the fact that it is hurricane season does not mean the weather will be bad - it just means that conditions are right for the possibility of hurricanes.

As to a "party" cruise, most shorter duration cruises are more of a party atmosphere as they tend to attract more younger cruisers who tend to fit that profile. But that too does not mean for certain it will be on that itinerary.

Regarding cruise v land vacation, that is entirely up to you, but IMO I would typically not book a cruise under 7 days as that length or longer better suits our cruising preferences.

We have not done a 4 day cruise nor at that time of year. Those saying you will have a lot more party types- colleges/universities tend to go back mid-August, unless a Wisconsin state school (we too start after labor day, both University and K-12, state law). However, those poor folks in Illinois go back in mid-August. You will find Chicago kids all back in school :) Lake Michigan will be lovely temp wise and the museums and aquariums will be less crowded.

Thanks for the replies. The mariner looks like a great ship and apparently they are adding watersides which is a bonus (if article i read was correct). Good to know last week in August isn't as much of a concern for US states as school has started. Canada (or Ontario) starts Sept but not sure how many would fly down to cruise...so sounds like that's not a huge concern.

So it's a matter of the weather as I don't want my kids to get sick. Chicago would be more museum, walking around, sight seeing, etc....cruise would be more sun holiday with stuff on the ship and food galore and night time shows. Hard choice.

P.S - we always get travel insurance

Seas are no "rougher" than any other time, assuming there is no hurricane near you! "Hurricane" season simply means the conditions are favorable for a storm to form. Otherwise, there is no difference in the seas. It could be calm...or rough...but that's ANYTIME of year!

Thanks. Btw...I guess I should mention that the ship sails from Miami and is in Bahamas. Don't think I specified where the ship is going. If we miss a port, then it's not a huge deal (only 2 stops on the short cruise..lol). So it's more of my kids feeling sea sick. They were fine on Allure but it's a huge ship and we went in April when seas were calm (and less chance of hurricane)

The water is not any rougher in the summer than it is any other time of year, unless of course there is actually a tropical system in the area. After about the 10th of August a lot of the summer cruises are over and almost all of the college partiers are gone because they start back no later than mid August.

Thanks. Btw...I guess I should mention that the ship sails from Miami and is in Bahamas. Don't think I specified where the ship is going. If we miss a port, then it's not a huge deal (only 2 stops on the short cruise..lol). So it's more of my kids feeling sea sick. They were fine on Allure but it's a huge ship and we went in April when seas were calm (and less chance of hurricane)

Again, the fact that the waters were calm on your Allure cruise has nothing to do with the time of year - seas can be calm or rough any time of the year depending in large part on the weather at the time. Relatively speaking Mariner is quite a large ship as well - and all ships today are stabilized to minimize the effects of motion. I think you will be fine with the sea conditions on your cruise. Enjoy.

There is no way to predict sea conditions more than a few days in advance. It could be calm, rough, or anything between. As to Hurricane season you are talking about early June through the end of November. The risk is not great....but there is always a risk.

Hank

Thanks again for the replies. Not sure which one we'll do but feel better about the option of sailing in August. My husband and I have been on Voyager before and as mentioned, at least it's a good size ship.

I saw a great price for a hotel in Chicago for the area we want so we booked it (refundable). Too bad Royal added non-refundable and refundable options. If they didn't, then I may have just booked the Mariner too so we could watch for price drops on the Chicago hotel and on the cruise cruise and then see what we decide. So we'll see...

Thanks again for the replies. Not sure which one we'll do but feel better about the option of sailing in August. My husband and I have been on Voyager before and as mentioned, at least it's a good size ship.

I saw a great price for a hotel in Chicago for the area we want so we booked it (refundable). Too bad Royal added non-refundable and refundable options. If they didn't, then I may have just booked the Mariner too so we could watch for price drops on the Chicago hotel and on the cruise cruise and then see what we decide. So we'll see...

While the stateroom rates will likely be higher, you can still book RCI with the refundable option and watch for price drops on both as you suggest.

I'd go for the land trip to Chicago. As you say, it is sightseeing and museums (some of the greatest for kids!). Since the trip is only 4 days, it's a great way to expose the kids to something other than mindless entertainment without getting into museum overload. This NYTimes piece is a little dated, but still relevant. http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/17/travel/travel-guide-chicago-for-kids.html?pagewanted=all.

Why not try something different since it's only for 4 days. Save the cruise for a longer vacation.

Thanks for the Chicago link. I'm sure we'll end up with Chicago. We're from a big city (Toronto) so museums and stuff aren't novelty to us, but we've done New York type holidays before and loved it. So Chicago would be another great city to explore.

Also, I just checked again and looks like you can't book refundable for it. Not sure if that's because it's a 4 day cruise? So will just look for price drops...but since they are refurbishing the ship I don't expect it to go down.

And we do have a cruise booked in 2019 so we still have that if we don't make it on Mariner.

Thanks for the Chicago link. I'm sure we'll end up with Chicago. We're from a big city (Toronto) so museums and stuff aren't novelty to us, but we've done New York type holidays before and loved it. So Chicago would be another great city to explore.

Also, I just checked again and looks like you can't book refundable for it. Not sure if that's because it's a 4 day cruise? So will just look for price drops...but since they are refurbishing the ship I don't expect it to go down.

And we do have a cruise booked in 2019 so we still have that if we don't make it on Mariner.

All RCI ships undergo regular maintenance and refurbishment. That's not related to pricing and does not mean prices won't drop. If the prices drop it would be related to remaining unsold stateroom inventory. Keep watching.

Thanks leaveitallbehind (love that alias as perfect for booking vacation!). I check our existing cruise everyday...and will do so with Mariner too. Good to know it's not related to having to pay back for the refurbishments, and depends on # unsold staterooms. We're flexible until we select one and book flights.