HAL Alaska port excursion alternatives

DeeAndKevB

You need to study and post the timing of your Denali stay. Time permitting you want the five to six hour tundra wilderness tour of the park. Some packages only provide the natural history tour which doesn’t go far enough into the park. This topic is discussed extensively on the Alaska board, budget queen is the expert.

Privately vehicles are not permitted beyond the visitor center. Everyone must ride the park school bus and there are several options, National history, tundra wilderness, the shuttle or kantisha experience.

Time permitting you can book the independent operators around Denali for flightseeing, kayak trips, etc.

Time permitting you can independently visit the park visitor center for activities like dog sledding exhibitions.

Again study your cruise tour package, post it for advice. I don’t think budget queen reads here, she is the expert on the Alaska board.

For myself only, I am somewhat of an anxious traveler. We always book with HAL because they promise to get you to the next port, if you’re late. Those fears were realized when a couple missed the boat in Ketchikan and we had to leave without them. [emoji33][emoji33]. We whale watched in Juneau and did a wonderful speed boat harbor thing in Sitka ( my favorite port). We just walked around in Ketchikan. Have a great cruise no matter what you wind up doing

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There are many who tout only taking private tours. We choose to mix our choices. It is worth mentioning that if you are late returning from a ship excursion the ship will wait for you.

We made a general rule for ourselves.

If the tour goes into areas where we could grab alternative transportation back to the ship - we book independent.

If a tour goes back into "wilderness" where no other transportation (ie taxi) is available we book a ship excursion.

For us, it's not worth the few dollars worrying about making it back in time .... but that's just us.:)

I generally prefer independent excursions due to smaller groups and longer times than similar ship excursions. There can be cost savings, but not much in Alaska. I take ship excursions if time / distance may be an issue in returning to the ship in time for departure.

The best advice is to use this site and others to research the ports and find things that interest you. Six months out is not too soon to be planning and booking. Many here would consider that late and book a year out (or more) [emoji846].

Here are excursions we did and enjoyed in your ports:

Juneau - Tracy Arm Fjord with Adventure Bound. Requires port times of at least 8:00 to 6:00 PM. May also be offered through HAL as a Small Boat Tour of Tracy Arm and Sawyer Glacier.

If this is not an option, consider a Whale Watching Tour and trip to see Mendenhall Glacier.

Ketchikan - We did a kayak tour and then walked Creek Street, Married Man's Trail and saw the Fish Ladder.

We originally booked a snorkeling excursion just to say we snorkeled in Alaska, but were concerned it would be too cold in May even with thick wetsuits. It's not rated as great for ?lots of fish, but it is a unique experience that most will never do.

Skagway- We did the combo bus / train tour to Emerald Lake with Chilkoot Tours that included lunch and a Dog Cart ride. We had a long port day, so still had time to walk around town and do some shopping.

Another option is the Kroschel Wildlife Center in Haines. We did this from Haines and this is sometimes offered as an excursion from Skagway via the Fast Ferry.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was looking into that! Though, I've capsized my kayak on more than one occasion... I bet the water will be just as chilly in the beginnig of June. I'll have to pay atention this time around!

The hardest thing for me was being in a double kayak with my husband! I really think that if it had been a new relationship it would not have survived. I doubt we would do well on a bicycle built for two either. He does have his good points though, so I have decided to keep him around :D

We took a Harv & Marv whale-watch trip and it was wonderful. Only five of us on the boat and we saw a great number of whales. Very personalized experience. We also took a helicopter ride and landed on a glacier. Expensive but great excursion.

Thanks all!

Djett, was the helicopter ride to the glacier through Harv and Marv? That’s one I wouldn’t mind splurging on. Even though I have read about two tourist plane crashes in as many weeks.

Sea42... I definitively understand where you’re coming from! If my husband and I were in a double kayak we’d end up going around in circles and flushing the sea!

Has anyone done the zip line?

JT 1962

I’ve read about the Mendenhall Glacier. I’ve read a lot about that one!

Well, now I have an excuse for sitting in the couch by the fire today and surfing the internet!

Happy New Year

Juneau: Highly recommend this zip line tour: https://www.alaskacanopy.com/ We did as a ship shorex through Princess. Price was same through ship or independent. Really fun. Boat to island; 6 wheel all terrain truck; 11 zip lines; two rope bridges; short rappel off of the last platform. I have done this trip two times. Small group-one time was 6 or 8 people. Alaska Ale-sampling.

Skagway: Rail trip is fun and scenic. Have also done a lake kayak trip (Princess again). Chilkoot lake.

Ketchikan: Walk to the local shops. Bus or taxi to see totem poles. Sea kayak trip is fun too. (Eagle Island?)

In Juneau we went whale watching with Captain Larry at Orca Enterprises. Didn't even have to cruise out of sight of the town to see the whales.

In Skagway we went on ship tour - a raft trip down the river in the eagle preserve. Picnic lunch at the end. Peaceful and Awesome - eagles everywhere!

Ketchikan we walked around town to historic sites and shops. The have a very nice local museum noted on most maps. Finished off by having a beer at a local bar where you could see the ships in port.

I feel your pain!! This is not our first cruise ever, but it is our first time in Alaska and our first time ever booking excursions in ports. On our Caribbean and Bermuda cruises, we just took buses or taxis to beaches!

First, take a deep breath! Relax and enjoy reading these boards! There is lots of great information over on the Ports of Call-Alaska board as well as on TripAdvisor. I used both of these a lot and found some great excursions for half the price or less than what you quoted in your original post.

Happy planning!

For quick answer:

Skagway: train up bus down. (More narrative going up quiet on downhill) and sit on left going up. Ketch: Deadliest Catch Crab tour. Easy access and eagle feeding.

Juneau. Helo glacier landing with Coastal. Whale watch tour. Back up plan Mendenhall Glacier and AK museum.

Can't help with Denali much.

Check youtube for videos of tours you are interested in.

Wish I was going. sightcrr

In Skagway my husband went on the train and loved it! I went horseback riding. While I love to ride it wasn't overly scenic but it was overpriced! I wouldn't recommend it.

Sitka we went on a small boat wildlife tour. It was great. Beautiful scenery and lots of otters, seals, eagles and of course whales. We had enough time after to walk to the totem park. Besides the totems, which were very interesting, it was spawning time and the river was just rolling with fish. It was an incredible sight but June is the wrong time of year.

In Ketchikan we took a float plane trip to Misty Fjords with Michelle at Island Wings. (Best.Trip.Ever!) Never a moment's concern about flying with her.

Yessssss, we did this too. Pricey but what a fantastic way to see Alaska. Fun to fly in these smallcrafts but probably not for the faint of heart.

Hello! Like you, our very first cruise was a round trip Alaska cruise from Vancouver on board Oosterdam. Like you we also had to read various CC forums to assist us obtaining the best cruising, shore excursion and on-board experiences.

One CC advice which stood out was that for first time cruisers and for those who are first time visitors to the port of call (both apply to us), it would be more prudent to avail of shore excursions offered by the cruise liner because they guarantee that you will be back to the ship on time, and also it is easier to refund payment if excursions are cancelled by the cruise line. A bit pricier but worth the peace of mind.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 5 months later...

I posted this in an established Thread in the Alaska Board, but haven’t yet received a response, so I thought perhaps fellow HAL passengers might have some advice. Thanks!

Ketchikan Rainforests, Parks and Trails Questions

I visited Ketchikan once before and enjoyed the downtown area. When we return, our objective for the day is to see the Rainforest and beautiful scenery.

I have a few questions about some activities I have seen for Ketchikan: The Rainforest Island Adventure, the Rainforest Sanctuary tours, Totem and Potlatch Parks + Rainbird Trail. The Shore Excursions Reviews page merges both of the Rainforest excursions on the page and opinions are mixed.

We were considering the Island Adventure, but after reading some reviews, see that it takes 30 minutes to get to the raft, 30 minutes to get to the Island and only 30 minutes to 1 hour walking the trail. Most people enjoyed it, but there were also a number that said if it was raining, it might not be the best excursion due to getting very cold in the rain and possibly getting drenched (I am prone to get sick in such a situation). If anyone has experiences to share, I would love to read your honest opinion.

While I was on the reviews page, I also read about the Rainforest Sanctuary tours. Would you recommend the Sanctuary tour?

For those who have done both tours, which one was the best one?

I am also exploring perhaps taking the local bus out to Totem Bight State Park and Potlatch Park---I have heard there are some nice things to see and the trails are lovely---and then later in the day walk the Rainbird Trail. What are your opinions on these activities?

Are there any other Rainforest trails you would recommend?

THANKS in advance!!!

Edited by syesmar
spacing

We did the local bus to Totem Bight and thought it was well worth the effort to get there on our own.

It is sited in a beautiful rain forest so you get a bit of both, plus a chance to see the real Ketchikan where the locals live, shop and work. "Tom's Port Guide" (google) gives you picture directions to find the local bus stops across from the dock. One thing to note is the return bus schedule may give you extra time and if it is cold and rainy, there is no place in the park to wait for the next bus - I think they run every hour. Good to get the history of the place from the visitor station (limited hours but there is a park fee station)

When you leave the park entrance if you have a wait, walk up the path/road to your right, there is a charming old style cabin souvenir shop that offers free hot coffee and a good place to wait out for the next bus out of the cold - it is set back from the main road so be sure to keep your eyes out for it on the secondary access road.

Plenty of time to walk around the historic tourist area as well as make the trip out to Totem Bight. We were there in May so not sure how impacted the place will be when it is high season. I suspect bus tours go out there taking most of the crowds, but that would not impact the local buses to get you there and back but ask at the Vistor Center downtown to make sure.

Some on the local bus got off at an intermediate stop to hike into a lake (Ward Lake Trail), and were quite enthused about this option. Might be something else to explore and ask the bus drivers about this stop. http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=southeastviewing.ketchikanwardlakearea