Onboard Seaside: Ship B+ to A- everything else C- to C+

The Admiral

Exactly. MSC SEASIDE actually has a space ratio of 37. Quite respectable. I don't know why people keep using the double occupancy of other ships while comparing the TOTAL occupancy of SEASIDE. It's not apples to apples. It's almost as if they are trying to make SEASIDE look worse than it actually is. FYI space ratios are ALWAYS calculated using the double occupancy figure, not total occupancy. That is industry standard.

Apples to apples comparison:

Harmony of the Seas: (33.9 when maxed out at 6,687 total occupancy/ 226,963 gt)

MSC Seaside: 30.0 (5,179 pax total occupancy / 160,000 gt)

Apples to apples comparison:

Harmony of the Seas: (33.9 when maxed out at 6,687 total occupancy/ 226,963 gt)

MSC Seaside: 30.0 (5,179 pax total occupancy / 160,000 gt)

Space ratios are not calculated at max capacity. They are calculated based on the double occupancy. That goes for all pax ships. Industry standard practice. You will never see your space ratios quoted anywhere. You seem to be coming up with your own statistics to make Seaside look as bad as possible. Just go with the industry standard. It’s what everyone uses and it’s what is printed in anything official.

Anyway not sure what your point is? I’ve sailed HARMONY and it’s a great ship, but the space ratio is inflated because of massive amounts of unusable interior volume.

I’ll be on SEASIDE in two weeks. Thankfully a non-holiday sailing so the ship won’t be maxed out. The same can be said of my HARMONY sailing a couple months ago. I’ll be happy to compare when I return, although I think a more appropriate comparison would be to something like NORWEGIAN ESCAPE or CARNIVAL BEEEZE which I have sailed as well.

I’ll also add the space ratio is only a statistic and not always telling of reality. I’ve sailed on ships with high space ratios that felt much more crowded than those with a lower space ratio. I would be more concerned with the design of the ship and how much study was put into passenger flow. I’ll say the Oasis Class are excellent in this regard. Early reports on Seaside would suggest the design is not as well thought out, but again so far its only been jammed packed holiday sailings. I’ll be much more curious to see how pax rate her following the cruise that departs today. It’s really the first “normal” cruise.

Edited by eroller

I’ll also add the space ratio is only a statistic and not always telling of reality. I’ve sailed on ships with high space ratios that felt much more crowded than those with a lower space ratio.

This is very true- space ratios are only numbers and sometimes don’t tell the whole story.

One thing to consider when booking is whether or not a kids sail free promo is applicable. From personal experience (in addition to common sense), ships with kids sail free promos often “feel” much more crowded. Since MSC often uses kids sail free promos, it’s something future cruisers may want to consider.

If your sailing January 20th, that is a kids sail free promo week so you can report back :).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is very true- space ratios are only numbers and sometimes don’t tell the whole story.

One thing to consider when booking is whether or not a kids sail free promo is applicable. From personal experience (in addition to common sense), ships with kids sail free promos often “feel” much more crowded. Since MSC often uses kids sail free promos, it’s something future cruisers may want to consider.

If your sailing January 20th, that is a kids sail free promo week so you can report back :).

Good point and absolutely true. Disney ships have high space ratios, but can feel crowded because of all the 3rd, 4th, and 5th beds filled. None the less I love them and they are a favorite cruise line.

I’ve sailed late January before on several different mass market lines. There are still kids yes, but much fewer than most dates. All schools are in session, and the kids just finished their winter break. Most parents don’t want to take them out of school so soon after.

Anyway I’ll let you know. I am in the YC as well so hopefully the kid exposure will be fairly minimal.

First of all, "food is not subjective", as this is a cop out for poor quality used by cheerleaders.

The buffet on Divina was the worst buffet I have been on (other than Posea) of any line, including Carnival & NCL. What is the point of naming future build classes, "World Class", if MSC has no intention of even coming close, to that standard?

First of all, "food is not subjective", as this is a cop out for poor quality used by cheerleaders.

The buffet on Divina was the worst buffet I have been on (other than Posea) of any line, including Carnival & NCL. What is the point of naming future build classes, "World Class", if MSC has no intention of even coming close, to that standard?

With over 50 cruises under my belt, I can safely say the Divina is nowhere near the worst buffet of any ship I have been on. All of the main lines have their strengths and I think they all have pretty solid buffet offerings. Divina had some really great and unique options. If you are the type who prefers to only eat American food like fried chicken, hot dogs, hamburgers, mac and cheese, etc. I could see how it might be disappointing. I loved the Indian and Mediterranean offerings at the buffet. Of course there was the amazing pizza and pasta which hands down were better than any buffet I have been to.

I will say that anything you paid for on Divina/Posea was outstanding. I bought the four Specialty Dining Meal package and had two Black Card dinners. The meals were outstanding, my favorite was the Mediterranean Dining Room, on the top of the ship and the Pizza place: on Posea the best place was the Japanese sushi bar.

With over 50 cruises under my belt, I can safely say the Divina is nowhere near the worst buffet of any ship I have been on. All of the main lines have their strengths and I think they all have pretty solid buffet offerings. Divina had some really great and unique options. If you are the type who prefers to only eat American food like fried chicken, hot dogs, hamburgers, mac and cheese, etc. I could see how it might be disappointing. I loved the Indian and Mediterranean offerings at the buffet. Of course there was the amazing pizza and pasta which hands down were better than any buffet I have been to.

I have done a lot of cruising, over 100. However, we do like the Divina in many ways. Going back on again next month. Personally, I rate Divina food (variety, quality, taste, temp.) the lowest out of the past 5 cruise lines we were on in 2017. That was RCI Harmony OTS, MSC Divina and NCL Escape. As for the better Buffets we consider Celebrity Reflection and Princess Regal to have the best selection and variety.

We are not basing this on whether it is American style food or not. As we have traveled around the world and sampled and love different ethnic food.

Food is very subjective as some people like bland food, others spicy. Some like their food well done others more rare. Some like their vegetables over cooked and others like them a little crunchy/crispy.

Food is not what we base a cruise choice on as you can always find something to eat and never starve.

Food has changed over the years on all the cruise lines. Quality, variety, preparation, etc. Now the cruise lines want you to pay for the Specialty Restaurants to get better food. Sooner or later you will be charged to eat anywhere on the ship. Seen it coming over the years. We accept it and go with the flow. Happy Cruising!!

Food is absolutely subjective and has nothing to do with cheerleading. In my 120+ cruises I've sailed on MSC twice. I'm certainly no cheerleader. For all I know you might think Olive Garden is excellent cuisine and authentic Italian. I think it's crap.

What is not subjective is how long it takes for food to be delivered, the temperature (hot food should always be hot), and certain quality issues (a tough steak is a tough steak). Flavor and if you think it tastes "good" or not, is certainly subjective to the taster.

Just don't ride it. Problem solved. Your $10 richer.

This is absolutely the best way to show your displeasure with something. With your pocketbook. Simply don't ride the zipline or even better, don't book MSC. There are plenty of other cruise lines.

I know if my experience on SEASIDE is not great in two weeks, I won't be back for a long time. Too many other lines that would love to have my business that I know offer a great product. I'm willing to give anything chance though, and SEASIDE looks like an amazing ship in so many ways. I also never say I'll never return. I actually like to return to cruise lines that I've sworn off after a few years have passed. Things evolve and many times they redeem themselves (but not always).

Food is absolutely subjective and has nothing to do with cheerleading. In my 120+ cruises I've sailed on MSC twice. I'm certainly no cheerleader. For all I know you might think Olive Garden is excellent cuisine and authentic Italian. I think it's crap.

What is not subjective is how long it takes for food to be delivered, the temperature (hot food should always be hot), and certain quality issues (a tough steak is a tough steak). Flavor and if you think it tastes "good" or not, is certainly subjective to the taster.

I totally agree with you! With our 200+ cruises we know what food is good and what good food is. LOL

What date I’d the snapshot cruise compass from? I just got off the seaside and the slide boarding and zip line were free

I can't see the date, but I'm pretty sure it's from the cruise that left today. So a very recent change.

I can't see the date, but I'm pretty sure it's from the cruise that left today. So a very recent change.

the sad thing is that’s it’s a beautiful,ship with hardworking staff....it’s the bad management decisions on food choices and things like this that are keeping Seaside from shining.

the sad thing is that’s it’s a beautiful,ship with hardworking staff....it’s the bad management decisions on food choices and things like this that are keeping Seaside from shining.

It is a shame and does make you feel bad for the staff. I felt this way a little on DIVINA a few years back. The ship was gorgeous, but service, organization, and cuisine were lacking. Not enough to make me avoid the line, but clearly substandard to even lines like Carnival which is much more polished when it comes to organization, policies, and even cuisine. I think MSC is probably fine so long as everything is ok. But if you have a problem good luck.

I don't think some things will ever change on SEASIDE even with time. It's just the way MSC is run. Hopefully the really bad stuff will improve, and they get the correct staffing levels as it's not fair to the staff or passengers to be understaffed.

The next couple months will be easier on the staff as pax loads will be lighter with the holidays behind us. It will pick up again for Spring Break but hopefully by then things will be a bit more routine and polished for the crew.

In my 120+ cruises....

With our 200+ cruises ...

DANG... you folks are putting up some big numbers today! I’m still up for adoption ;-)

I’m betting this $10 per ride fee is gone within a month. Besides, the zip line looks amazingly lame. See how slow it goes?

DANG... you folks are putting up some big numbers today! I’m still up for adoption ;-)

I’m betting this $10 per ride fee is gone within a month. Besides, the zip line looks amazingly lame. See how slow it goes?

I hope you're right!

I can tell you it took me a long time to get to those 120 cruises. I started when I was 11, and lets just say I'm a lot older now! LOL

The Seaside zip line is not a thrill ride unless its your first time on a zip line. I went on it twice during the TA. No line at all and that was when it was free! It has 2 speeds - slow and slower.