Feedback Requested: Holland America Triple Denali Differences D1C vs D2C

CleverEuphemism

We are planning a cruisetour to AL this summer. We are traveling in a group of five, two of whom are older but still very active. Important to us: we would like to have adequate time in Denali but still see as much of Alaska as possible, including Glacier Bay. Cost is a factor because we are paying for another couple to travel with us a gift, so twenty day extended tours are not in the budget, unfortunately. These are the least expensive HAL trips that have two full Denali days. A nice ship would be a plus but as long as there are hot tubs and good food we are happy.

I have read the trip reports stickied at the top but not seen a lot of reviews with these cruisetours, so I am hoping that the experts here can weigh in on whether one would be more appealing or if there are any pitfalls I am missing. The prices are very similar, I think we will go in very late May early June due to cost but do land second to ensure Denali is open in June. The main differences I can see:

D2C is on the Westerdam (recently renovated, I understand, so that is a plus) and has a drive to Denali with the McKinley explorer train to Anchorage. How long is that drive? Eight hours? My research tells me the train from Denali to Anchorage is about the same--eight hours? Tour ends in Anchorage and is one day shorter.

D1C is on the Noordam and has a train to Denali--looks like two trains, I guess there is no direct train from Seward to Denali, and there is a layover in Anchorage? Does that mean there is a half day to explore Anchorage? I am concerned two train rides in two days might be too much? The Anchorage to Denali train is 7-8 hours, it seems. There is also an extra day on Riverboat Discovery (with good reviews on Trip Advisor) and the tour ends in Fairbanks, I understand the drive from Denali to Fairbanks isn't too long. Flights seem a little more expensive but we live in Philly/NYC area so flights should not be hard to find.

Right now I am leaning towards D1C because it includes the riverboat tour and has less time on a bus, but any input is greatly appreciated. Cruises on each trip are the same.

HA D2C Westerdam

Day 1:

Vancouver

Day 2:

At Sea

Day 3:

Ketchikan

Day 4:

Juneau

Day 5:

Skagway

Day 6:

Glacier Bay

Day 7:

At Sea (Gulf of Alaska)

Day 8:

Denali National Park

Disembark and enjoy deluxe motorcoach sightseeing to Denali National Park for a three night stay at this majestic national treasure (lunch included)

Day 9:

Denali National Park

Today features the unforgettable Tundra Wilderness Tour. This 6-8 hour fully narrated sightseeing excursion is a deep dive into Denali National Park — the very best chance of seeing both the mountain itself and Denali’s iconic wildlife (snack included)

Day 10:

Denali National Park

Explore on your own or take optional excursions with an entire free day in Denali

Day 11:

Anchorage

This morning, board the luxurious domed rail cars of the McKinley Explorer bound for Anchorage

Day 12:

Anchorage

Your Land + Sea Journey concludes this morning in Anchorage

HA D1C: Noordam

Day 1:

Vancouver

Day 2:

At Sea

Day 3:

Ketchikan

Day 4:

Juneau

Day 5:

Skagway

Day 6:

Glacier Bay

Day 7:

At Sea (Gulf of Alaska)

Day 8:

Anchorage

Disembark and enjoy a scenic rail journey along Turnagain Arm aboard the cruisetrain en route to Anchorage

Day 9:

Denali National Park

Board the luxurious domed rail cars of the McKinley Explorer to Denali for a three night stay at this magnificent national treasure

Day 10:

Denali National Park

Today features the unforgettable Tundra Wilderness Tour. This 6-8 hour fully narrated sightseeing excursion is a deep dive into Denali National Park — the very best chance of seeing both the mountain itself and Denali’s iconic wildlife (snack included)

Day 11:

Denali National Park

Explore on your own or take optional excursions with an entire free day in Denali

Day 12:

Fairbanks

Today you’ll head for Fairbanks, Alaska's Golden Heart City, and take a step back in time aboard the Riverboat Discovery (lunch included)

Day 13:

Fairbanks

Your Land + Sea Journey concludes this morning in Fairbanks

Thank you for posting the details.

One significant negative with both of these choices, is they completely miss Seward. Be certain you want to bypass this opportunity? It is a gem.

I find the Westerdam a poor choice. Seward to Denali in a single day is gruesome- you're looking at 10 hours with stops, and nothing more than seeing shreds out a window. Have you determined WHAT you want out of your Denali visit? Know what you will use the time there for your touring? Have you looked at the NPS web site?

On the Noordam, It's not clear what train they use, if contracted- you leave around 7am and arrive before noon. Next day, you leave at 8am for the 8 hour ride to Denali. In my opinion, with any Fairbanks cruise tour visit- "always" you need to add days there, because you essentilly see too little of the area. A car rental is nexcessary, in my opinoiin. Some excellent touring is available. What is it, that you plan to see/do there?

Frankly, all HAL is offering you is simple to also arrange piecemeal. Could offer you a superior visit especially if you'd like to take advantage of being in Seward, (jackpot for varied wildlife and glacier boat tours of Kenai Fjords).

Take a look at each section of the tours and be certain, they offer you what your group is looking for. Realize, a TWT is triple the cost, of the superior Eielson shuttle bus, as example, since you mention costs.

I'd also just suggest, considering a van rental and packing reasonably. Should have no problem fitting 5. Then you could have a whole lot more touring, meal, and lodging options. I'll speculate you'd get far more for your money perhaps. Point to point touring in Alaska, sees the least.

As BQ has stated, a DIY trip would be the best use of your time and save substantial money.

You could disembark the ship in seward, spend a night, then take the train to Anch for a nite or 2. Maybe explore sights along the Tirnagain Arm. Then drive to Denali for a few nights. Drive to Fai to fly home, or the most economical option would be to return the car to Anc for the flight home.

If you dont want to drive, look at a pkg tour offered on the Alaska Railroad web site. Perhaps disembark the ship in Seward, overnight, take the train to Anc where you could begin the pkg tour. Similarly, you could get yourself to Anc and book a pkg tour thru the Princess Lodge web site. Or look at pkgs by Alaska Tour and Travel at alaskatravel.com. i believe they can customize pkgs.

Cruisetours are very expensive so if it doesnt meet all your needs and priorities, consider other options.

Edited by mapleleaves
Typo

As a veteran of several HAL cruisetours I recommend D1C. You have several included activities and enough time to add some extra things in Denali. The cruisetrain to Anchorage will be very scenic and you will have an overnight in Anchorage before moving on to Denali. The bus to Fairbanks is very nice with lots of leg room. You will enjoy the sternwheeler Discovery excursion and possibly have some extra time in Fairbanks.

HAL will handle all of the arrangements and luggage for you but you will still have some extra time to do other activities. The trains and the bus will be a narrated journey and you will learn a lot about the Great Land. You will be responsible for most of your meals on the land portion.

I can’t vouch for cruisetours being expensive. I am pretty careful about how I spend my money and I have found them to be wonderful ways to see Alaska without the stress of having to discuss and plan every part of the journey. The cruisetour gives you the structure and you can plan other activities within that time.

I would not recommend the Direct to Denali D2C option......too much time on the bus.

I was on the D2C June 2017.

The bus ride from Seward is eight hours which includes a 90-minute stop for a good sandwich buffet lunch (yummy chocolate chip cookies) in Wasilla. There was also 30 minutes at the Iditarod HQ to pet the dogs and take cart rides before lunch. The eight hours included three additional restroom breaks. Passengers are collected in the Vista Showroom and released when the D2C buses are parked beside the ship. If you want a good seat, wait in the back of the Showroom and be one of the first to board. Lots of time to sleep.

The train ride from Denali back to Anchorage is eight hours as well and includes a few stops to allow other trains to pass as well as 15 minutes in Talkeetna. Seats are assigned. The dining car food was quite good. Photos taken through the very thick glass dome will have a prism effect band of rainbow-like colors that will require an extensive knowledge of Photoshop to remove. No time to sleep as there is almost a non-stop narration.

Skip the meal plan as is it is not cost effective. There are cheaper meals at the same restaurants.

There are a lot more flight choices from Anchorage than Fairbanks so the difference is cost is for the extra day in Fairbanks from D2C and D1C. The cheaper flights out of Fairbanks start at 1:30 AM and many connect in Anchorage.

So is the extra day in Fairbanks and the more expensive flight home worth the extra cost?

There is a problem with the HAL website as it does not list any aft staterooms available on the Denali cruise tours. You have to ask your TA or HAL Personal Cruise Consultant for them if that is your preference.

I booked the same D2C for June 2019 now that I know what to expect and what is available.

There are pros and cons to cruisetours but you probably will hear more cons on this forum. I am working on my 4th trip to Alaska and have done cruisetour and DIY land tours. You have to be really careful that the cruisetour has what you want (activities) but I didn't find the DIY to have significant price differential. I have HAL cruisetour booked for July similar to D2C but on the Noordam and doing land portion first. This worked for me since I didn't want to drive over 1200 miles, Anchorage flights cheaper/more options and the Noordam had the only accessible cabin for summer. I have been on TWT and park shuttles and plan on doing TWT this time along with park shuttle on free day. I am not sure if I will miss the flexibility of driving and doing what I want, but there are advantages to letting someone else drive and take care of the details. If you haven't been to Alaska before, it is easy to plan a DIY (and Seward kenail fjord tour is great). I never saw any wildlife from a train or bus but I did from a car (driving from Anchorage to Seward) and you can stop to take pics. Only you know what you want to see and how you like to vacation. Good luck.

Thank you all for your responses, it gave me a lot to think about.

I can’t vouch for cruisetours being expensive. I am pretty careful about how I spend my money and I have found them to be wonderful ways to see Alaska without the stress of having to discuss and plan every part of the journey. The cruisetour gives you the structure and you can plan other activities within that time.

This is the reason I was leaning towards the cruisetours. I understand we are paying a premium and giving up flexibility, but the convenience and knowing my luggage is being taken care of, any transportation problems or other issues will be resolved by someone else, etc. is very appealing. I am the trip planner for the group so I am not relishing the idea of doing all the planning and keeping everything on track for a DIY tour.

I looked at the options on the Alaska RR as Mapleleaves suggested, their Denali/Kenai package is $1400, almost the price of the entire cruisetour package (D2C) with an oceanview cabin so there doesn't seem to be much of a savings there, unfortunately. I am open to any group tour type option but to me the cruisetour seemed like a good value. I understand there is definitely a tradeoff in freedom and the extra cost. Rereading this makes me feel like I sound lazy, I am really not, just trying to make it as stress-free as I can. :)

Budget Queen, for Denali I wanted to see wildlife and maybe do an airplane tour on the second day. Other members of our party will probably want to hike, zipline, or take in historical sights. For Fairbanks I do not have any specific plans/wants except the Steamboat.

I would like to see the Kenai glacier, I didn't see an option with two full Denali days that included that. So much to see and hard to choose. I hate to sacrifice anything but I know I have to since we only have about two weeks and I would like to spend a day or two in Vancouver before we leave.

This is the reason I was leaning towards the cruisetours. I understand we are paying a premium and giving up flexibility, but the convenience and knowing my luggage is being taken care of, any transportation problems or other issues will be resolved by someone else, etc. is very appealing. I am the trip planner for the group so I am not relishing the idea of doing all the planning and keeping everything on track for a DIY tour.

I looked at the options on the Alaska RR as Mapleleaves suggested, their Denali/Kenai package is $1400, almost the price of the entire cruisetour package (D2C) with an oceanview cabin so there doesn't seem to be much of a savings there, unfortunately. I am open to any group tour type option but to me the cruisetour seemed like a good value. I understand there is definitely a tradeoff in freedom and the extra cost. Rereading this makes me feel like I sound lazy, I am really not, just trying to make it as stress-free as I can. :)

Budget Queen, for Denali I wanted to see wildlife and maybe do an airplane tour on the second day. Other members of our party will probably want to hike, zipline, or take in historical sights. For Fairbanks I do not have any specific plans/wants except the Steamboat.

I would like to see the Kenai glacier, I didn't see an option with two full Denali days that included that. So much to see and hard to choose. I hate to sacrifice anything but I know I have to since we only have about two weeks and I would like to spend a day or two in Vancouver before we leave.

I have not read the details of all the posts but one quick comment. I have done the steamboat tour in Fairbanks. It was fun but not that much fun. I would not make any trip decisions based on taking the steamboat tour. Actually, I enjoyed the Fountainhead Car Museum - http://www.fountainheadmuseum.com/ - which is a world class car musuemm and the Alaska State Museum - http://museums.alaska.gov/ - more than the steamboat tour.

DON

I have not read the details of all the posts but one quick comment. I have done the steamboat tour in Fairbanks. It was fun but not that much fun. I would not make any trip decisions based on taking the steamboat tour. Actually, I enjoyed the Fountainhead Car Museum - http://www.fountainheadmuseum.com/ - which is a world class car musuemm and the Alaska State Museum - http://museums.alaska.gov/ - more than the steamboat tour.

DON

Thank you for the suggestions, Don. If we end up with that tour I will look into an extra day for the car museum. One person on our trip is a total gearhead and would love that.

There is no "Kenai Glacier", so not sure if you are referring to Knik Glacier or Kenai Fjords? Unfortunately you can't do either unless you are independent.

I suggest you look more at at Fairbanks and the areas you list. It's hardly worth the effort to go all the way to Farbanks and just do the boat ride.

Yes, Kenai Fjords--our top interests are wildlife and glaciers. After everyone's comments I did some more research and realized if we did land first we could add some time in Anchorage to see them (aka my "DUH" moment). :o

This cruisetour starts in Anchorage so we could arrive a day or two early to add a DIY day trip to the Fjords (I see the Alaska RR has one). We would miss out on the riverboat in Fairbanks but if it increases my chance to see orcas then I am okay with that. We would also fly into Anchorage (cheaper flight than leaving from Fairbanks) so with the savings we can put that towards extra time in Anchorage and still have two full days in Denali. The Denali to Seward bus ride is long (8-10 hours?) and less than ideal but I am looking at as a chance to rest and recharge prior to the cruise.

Also, another question about the Denali tours: this trip includes the Tundra Wilderness Tour. Is it possible to upgrade to Kantishna Tour on HAL and pay the difference via the cruise line or would we have to skip the TWT and pay for the Kantishna tour on our own? I understand it may be possible with Princess but what about HAL?

D2L on the Westerdam

Day 1:

Anchorage

Arrive at your downtown hotel

Day 2:

Denali National Park

Board the luxurious domed rail cars of the McKinley Explorer to Denali for a three night stay at this magnificent national treasure

Day 3:

Denali National Park

Day 4:

Denali National Park

Day 5:

Seward

Enjoy some of Alaska's most spectacular scenery via deluxe motorcoach to Seward (lunch included) where you will embark your ship

Day 6:

At Sea (Gulf of Alaska)

Enjoy a leisurely day of cruising

Day 7:

Glacier Bay

Cruise the ice-studded fjords of this national treasure for a full eight hours as a Park Service Ranger narrates

Day 8:

Haines

The best of two ports — stay in Haines for an uncrowded experience,

Day 8:

Skagway

or go to Skagway for excursions and shopping

Day 9:

Juneau

Enjoy a full day of exploring Alaska's capital — choose from exciting shore excursions and still have time to shop

Day 10:

Ketchikan

Explore this uniquely Alaskan port, famous for its rich native culture, salmon fishing, and scenic Misty Fjords

Day 11:

At Sea

Relax and enjoy a full day of scenic Inside Passage cruising and immerse yourself in Holland America Line elegance

Day 12:

Vancouver

Your Land + Sea Journey concludes this morning in Vancouver

I'm sure someone will correct me if needed, but I thought that a whale watching cruise out of Vancouver would be more reliable for seeing orcas at the time you are likely to be there.

There are some resident pods in the area around Seward, but the migratory pods are there in May. Because of that May is when Major Marine has an Orca Quest tour. For access to Denali you want to be there in June or later. May is too early as the tours deep into Denali don't start until June.

The Kenai Fjords boat trip was a highlight of the trip for me. I think your plan is a good one, but probably only provides a small increase in your chance of seeing orcas. We did see humpbacks, puffins (the only place I saw them during our cruise), lots of other water birds, sea otters, sea lions, glaciers up close.

Be aware that the Alaska RR day trip to Seward is a long day. The morning train leaves something like 6 AM and the evening train gets back around 10 PM (very approximate times from my recollection of the schedule).

The Kenai Fjords boat trip was a highlight of the trip for me. I think your plan is a good one, but probably only provides a small increase in your chance of seeing orcas. We did see humpbacks, puffins (the only place I saw them during our cruise), lots of other water birds, sea otters, sea lions, glaciers up close.

I love this tour, but never saw any whales (but only been on a couple of times). Like the wildlife (especially the puffins) and glacier. I also enjoyed the 26 glacier tour in Whittier but like the one in Seward better.

I just wanted to mention that in Fairbanks, if you have the time Dredge #8 was a good excursion for us. They show you what they had to go through to get the gold with a monster gold catching dredge. You can go out on the dredge and explore and a docent is there to answer any questions.

They also give everybody a sack of paydirt to pan and we all got gold. We got $24 worth. It's touristy and the water trough is heated but it was still fun. lol

Also, The Alaska Pipeline runs through the property and a docent is there to tell you all about how they built it and maintain it. Very interesting.

It was the provided tour in Fairbanks from HAL on our cruise tour.

I just wanted to mention that in Fairbanks, if you have the time Dredge #8 was a good excursion for us. They show you what they had to go through to get the gold with a monster gold catching dredge. You can go out on the dredge and explore and a docent is there to answer any questions.

That sounds really interesting. I am thinking we are going to have to choose between Anchorage or Fairbanks, we only have about two weeks to work with and with the cruisetour and travel time from the East Coast we are pushing the limit,

Frankly superior itineraries are always via independent touring. It is a SIMPLE process and offers way more. You have the least options with cruise tours.

In my opinion, thinking a Kenai Fjords as a "day trip" is a poor plan, by bus, it's usually about 7 hours of transit time, by train it's 8.5 hours. You only have the chance for ONE Kenai fjords tour. I find my preference is always the Aialik/Holgate combo or Northwestern Fjords. Both are longer- longer always means "more". :). Whales are NOT given and certainly not the resident orcas. Figure on a 50% chance. Of course going out multiple times, increases the chances, but these tours clearly are NOT whale watches. They are route trips. IF orcas are the priority, then I'd be sure to add time out of of Victoria for a few days, or head to Port Hardy/Telegraph Cove (my preference). I'd also suggest, IF returning to Vancouver you park yourself out on deck with a good pair of binoculars- from late afternoon - on, forget about dinner. :) I've had fairly good success of catching the northern Vancouver Island pods. Meaning - hours of "looking" for a 2 minute view. :) (yep, I'm trilled to always take advantage of this)