Live: Jan 2 2018 Solstice Great Barrier Reef

mahdnc

22 hours ago, Holly2 said:

And they also have a Din Tai  Fung!

I have never heard of this restaurant before.  I guess it must be pretty good.  Thanks for mentioning.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/3/2019 at 10:39 AM, Motorcycle Gma said:

David, I'm with Marilyn.  Wow, you are an amazing guy!  I've never seen someone answer questions for strangers in such detail.  Your pictures of the Port Douglas tender landing area will be invaluable to me and the fact that you knew the exact time you got on and off the tender boat is amazing.

I'm a detail person, but you got me beat by tons!  I'm so happy your heart situation resolved quickly and you are back enjoying scuba and cruising.  My husband had quadruple bypass about 12 years ago.  I think the technology has changed greatly, because he was in the hospital a good 2-3 weeks and a couple months of rehab.  He is 71 now and I continue to push him with my joy for travel and adventure.  I'm hoping the travel to Australia (17 hrs from LAX in cramped Economy) doesn't cause him too much distress.  When we did China in 2016, his feet swelled larger than Fred Flintstones.  It was very scary, I was afraid he would have an embolism or something. So, we've learned he has to wear compression socks during trips.  His Dr. at the VA knows he's still scuba diving, but we don't really divulge his health on the waivers.  I know, bad bad.  If something happens, I will regret but this is bucket list for us!   We always travel with travel insurance bought privately online.

I am not finding enough time to plan this adventure, so I apologize for not responding to all your helpful tips sooner.  I think I will take a chance and book the scuba at PD with Poseidon and hope we make it.  If not, we will run over to Quicksilver and hope they transfer our money. I read really good reviews about Poseidon accommodating customers who miss flights, etc. and even refunding money when dive trips went bad.  Sounds like they have amazing customer service.  I'm just not going to tell them we're cruising.  (Little white lie...)

I am going to book the Arlie Beach scuba thru the ship, just so we don't miss.  Same with the zoo at Brisbane.  I'm grateful for that information also.  I was wondering if it was the Irwin zoo.  A fellow cruiser mentioned I should book it through the cruise line, so we will (not my favorite, but like you said, who wants to drive on the wrong side of the road!). Plus, I heard it's a long way from the ship.

I couldn't figure out the railroad and sky rail thing like Marilyn did, so I'm just going with some of my fellow CC people on a private tour.  I guess I'm getting there on tours, although it still feels very overwhelming.  I still have no solid plans in Sydney.  So much to see & do there!  I have lots of tips I'm keeping in a Word file.  Will have to narrow down sometime.  

Anyway, just wanted to extend my thanks to you, David, for continuing to help me and others out!  

Best wishes on your next adventure.

Motorcycle Gma aka Cindi 

Greetings, Motorcycle GMA and all the other wonderful posters here, David, and Suzi, and more. So helpful and encouraging. We have just booked the Celebrity Solstice for the April 2021 GBR cruise. I am beyond excited and happy to have such a great experience on the horizon. 

Cindi, interested in your comment about the air flight. My DH and I flew to Inchon (Seoul) from LAX a couple of years ago - 13 hours. We were pleasantly surprised by the relative comfort of the Airbus A380 we were on,  even though we were in the lowest class. No doubt you have already booked flights, but just in case , I recommend it - we were on Korean Air. I am going to look for the same type of air plane to go to Sydney. My husband is also not in the best of health and I want to get us there in as best shape as possible. Once again, thanks to all of you and happy future travels!

• 1 month later...
On 4/30/2019 at 10:58 AM, the mice said:

David,

Thanks again.   I will ask my DH if he wants to do one of them.  There are lots of choices (and prices!).    I remember your photos of the cheetah.    -  Marilyn

Marilyn,

I didn't want to crash your roll call, so I will say it here: I see your cruise is about 2 weeks away.  I hope you and your husband have a safe and awesome time with your B2B and the GBR.  I hope to hear from you afterwards on how well it went!

We will be back on Solstice come Dec 23rd as we spend Christmas and New Years sailing around New Zealand.

David

32 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

Marilyn,

I didn't want to crash your roll call, so I will say it here: I see your cruise is about 2 weeks away.  I hope you and your husband have a safe and awesome time with your B2B and the GBR.  I hope to hear from you afterwards on how well it went!

We will be back on Solstice come Dec 23rd as we spend Christmas and New Years sailing around New Zealand.

David

Hi David,

Great to see your good wishes.   Thank you for thinking of us.   

First off, I hope you are doing well and the heart is pumping away just fine.   Funny thing, I went for a physical in July - hadn't had one in about 4 years, and I was about to turn 70 (in August).  Well, now have mild hypertension and a "possible" heart valve issue so now I'm on 2 meds.  Will be good and take the meds while I'm away, then talk to cardio doc upon return to get more definitive answer on the valve issue.  Might be nothing, but need another test to confirm.  Consolation is I got to 70 being med free - and maybe there's really not a problem heart-wise.   Thinking positively.   And I feel great.   

Anyway, we leave next Sunday for a week pre-cruise (3 days Melbourne, 3 days Sydney).   Hoping I manage the 10 sea days - I like sea days, but I'm not sure about 10 of them!!!!   Hopefully seas won't be rough so we can hit the fitness center (dumbells and treadmills and high seas don't mix well :classic_biggrin: ).   Have a bunch of different activities planned so we should have a great time.    Will be happy to share info and answer any questions when we get home.  (BTW, Karen, whom you met on a previous cruise, says she's been corresponding with you.   We will meet her and her husband for some of our adventures).

Not sure of your ports, but in the meantime, some tours we are doing that you might want to check out - some of these are mentioned on the roll call:

Hobart -  Eyeseetasmania  tour to Mt Field & Bonorong Wildlife sanctuary

Dunedin -  Castlecruiser tour of Dunedin and Larnach Castle

Akaroa - EStours  (Dermot Hall)

Picton - an Aussie on the roll call who is used to left-hand drive has rented a van and we are going to Omaka Aviation, Makana Chocolates and a winery

Tauranga - Archer Tours (Jim Archer is Maori)

Bay of Islands -  no plans til we get there

Auckland -  Jim Archer tour on disembark day.   Staying 2 nights at the Hilton right on Princes Wharf (where ship docks) and 

doing DIY and/or free walking tour, Kelly Tarlton Sea Life aquarium

Pete opted out of an animal encounter at the Australia zoo, but I'm sure we will have plenty to do there.    We are doing the GBR with Celebrity on Day 1 in Cairns.   In Port Douglas, we are going with Quicksilver to the Low Isles which is better suited to a poor swimmer like me.   We've got a whale watch cruise in Newcastle, doing the Kuranda Skyrail/Train,  a saltwater croc safari in Airlie Beach.   Since Pete can get motion sick, he decided not to book a helicopter or fixed wing flight over the reef - stiff cancellation penalties and he didn't want to risk it.  (my wallet is a bit grateful  :classic_wink: ).  

Getting excited -  but first I better get packed :classic_biggrin::classic_biggrin::classic_biggrin:.

Best wishes, enjoy the fall, Happy Halloween, thanks for thinking of us, and will let you know how it all goes.

-- Marilyn

1 hour ago, the mice said:

Hi David,

Great to see your good wishes.   Thank you for thinking of us.   

First off, I hope you are doing well and the heart is pumping away just fine.   Funny thing, I went for a physical in July - hadn't had one in about 4 years, and I was about to turn 70 (in August).  Well, now have mild hypertension and a "possible" heart valve issue so now I'm on 2 meds.  Will be good and take the meds while I'm away, then talk to cardio doc upon return to get more definitive answer on the valve issue.  Might be nothing, but need another test to confirm.  Consolation is I got to 70 being med free - and maybe there's really not a problem heart-wise.   Thinking positively.   And I feel great.   

Anyway, we leave next Sunday for a week pre-cruise (3 days Melbourne, 3 days Sydney).   Hoping I manage the 10 sea days - I like sea days, but I'm not sure about 10 of them!!!!   Hopefully seas won't be rough so we can hit the fitness center (dumbells and treadmills and high seas don't mix well :classic_biggrin: ).   Have a bunch of different activities planned so we should have a great time.    Will be happy to share info and answer any questions when we get home.  (BTW, Karen, whom you met on a previous cruise, says she's been corresponding with you.   We will meet her and her husband for some of our adventures).

Not sure of your ports, but in the meantime, some tours we are doing that you might want to check out - some of these are mentioned on the roll call:

Hobart -  Eyeseetasmania  tour to Mt Field & Bonorong Wildlife sanctuary

Dunedin -  Castlecruiser tour of Dunedin and Larnach Castle

Akaroa - EStours  (Dermot Hall)

Picton - an Aussie on the roll call who is used to left-hand drive has rented a van and we are going to Omaka Aviation, Makana Chocolates and a winery

Tauranga - Archer Tours (Jim Archer is Maori)

Bay of Islands -  no plans til we get there

Auckland -  Jim Archer tour on disembark day.   Staying 2 nights at the Hilton right on Princes Wharf (where ship docks) and 

doing DIY and/or free walking tour, Kelly Tarlton Sea Life aquarium

Pete opted out of an animal encounter at the Australia zoo, but I'm sure we will have plenty to do there.    We are doing the GBR with Celebrity on Day 1 in Cairns.   In Port Douglas, we are going with Quicksilver to the Low Isles which is better suited to a poor swimmer like me.   We've got a whale watch cruise in Newcastle, doing the Kuranda Skyrail/Train,  a saltwater croc safari in Airlie Beach.   Since Pete can get motion sick, he decided not to book a helicopter or fixed wing flight over the reef - stiff cancellation penalties and he didn't want to risk it.  (my wallet is a bit grateful  :classic_wink: ).  

Getting excited -  but first I better get packed :classic_biggrin::classic_biggrin::classic_biggrin:.

Best wishes, enjoy the fall, Happy Halloween, thanks for thinking of us, and will let you know how it all goes.

-- Marilyn

I can highly recommend going to the Waitangi Treaty Grounds when you are at the Bay of Islands.   It is about a 5 minute walk from where the ship tenders in and had one of the best Maori dance shows we have ever seen.  It is where the original treaty was signed between the Maori people and the Europeans.  We were shown around the grounds and informed of the history of NZ and the treaty by a Maori guide.  We found it fascinating.

Hi Suzi,

Thanks for posting and also thank you for all your help, esp. about the Kuranda Skyrail/Train.

While I have read many recommendations for the Waitangi Treaty Grounds, I'm not sure if we will go there.  Why?  Because the previous day in Tauranga, we have a tour with a Maori guide who is taking us to another Maori cultural center and will be conveying a lot about his culture and history.   And we plan to go to the Auckland War Memorial Museum that also focuses on Maori history and culture.  So that's why I haven't planned anything in Bay of Islands.   Want to see how that tour goes.   Then we can decide if we go to the Treaty Grounds or pick up a tour to the Kawiti glow worm caves (closer than the long drive to Waitomo), do a boat tour out to Hole in the Rock and/or Russell, or just do the coast walk and wander around. 

CruiseCritic has been a great help for planning, and you and David have been super helpful.

Thanks again,

Marilyn

We have caught the ferry out to Russell as well.  It was a nice day trip.  We just wandered around and took photos, then had a look at the market at Paihia.  I found the old church and the headstones interesting.  They have a marked walking tour you can do around the town as well.  Mind you, we got to the little town hall which is just the same as the one we use as our theatre here at home and both my husband and I were "Look at how they have made the stage larger!"

20190317_115119.jpg

20190317_121718.jpg

20190317_122017.jpg

@the mice,

thank you for your words. I saw my cardiologist this past week (I get to see him twice a year for the rest of my life) and got the thumbs up although I have to begin exercising more. 

I sincerely hope that your heart is ok and that you get good news on your next visit. Perhaps a pair of cruises along with the 10 sea days will help (and the treadmill and barbells). 

Your trip sounds well planned and budgeted. I hope things go smoothly and that any surprises are pleasant ones!

David

PS. Karen and Mark are great people. You'll enjoy meeting them. 

Edited by mahdnc

• 3 years later...
2 hours ago, janetmojo said:

I know this is an old thread but I just wanted to say how extremely helpful it has been for my planning for our 2024 GBR cruise.  Thanks again!

Even though it was published a while a go, it is good to know that some one still finds it useful.  So thank you for saying that.  I presume that you also found the Photo Review that I posted later--there are a couple of links to it in this thread, but in case you missed it, I have reposted it below.  I found it very challenging to plan our GBR cruise, so I wrote the Photo Review with that in mind.  It was an awesome trip and I know you will have a terrific time.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, janetmojo said:

I know this is an old thread but I just wanted to say how extremely helpful it has been for my planning for our 2024 GBR cruise.  Thanks again!

When is your cruise?  We're on the Feb 25, 2024 GBR cruise. 

4 hours ago, mahdnc said:

Even though it was published a while a go, it is good to know that some one still finds it useful.  So thank you for saying that.  I presume that you also found the Photo Review that I posted later--there are a couple of links to it in this thread, but in case you missed it, I have reposted it below.  I found it very challenging to plan our GBR cruise, so I wrote the Photo Review with that in mind.  It was an awesome trip and I know you will have a terrific time.

I need to check this out.  Our roll call is having a difficult time finding a charter for Airlie Beach that will provide a full refund if our port is cancelled.  They all want 50 payment up front and they won't mention anything regarding missing the port. 

• Like 1

@mahdncHow fun to see your wonderful thread ‘resurrected’! Hope you and your family are doing very well 👍🏻 

We recently returned from a fantastic 35-nights of vacation to NZ & Australia, including the 11-night NZ cruise on the Eclipse (out of Sydney) March 26-April 6.

April 12-20 We did something new and amazing with our daughter Theresa and her fiancé Chris, along with his family. We flew from Melbourne (where they live) to Airlie Beach (airport= Proserpine) and rented a sail-yourself 50-foot catamaran for the week to sail in the Whitsunday Islands. It was an incredible sailing, which included snorkeling whenever we wanted, hiking on the many different national parklands of the different islands, and the most amazing starry skies we’ve ever seen- while moored in dark bays/ inlets. We even anchored near the famous Whitehaven Beach late one afternoon, and essentially had it all to ourselves to enjoy- after the numerous helicopter tours had finished for the day. 

It was different than our usual cruise (we had ‘work’ to do), but all the work (sailing, anchoring/mooring  process, cooking, etc) was shared among the nine of us, and the benefits of the serenity and adventure were worth it.

If anyone ever has any questions about such an adventure, let me know 

sharonbaranick at yahoo dot com

I’ll attach a few pics:

IMG_1344.jpeg

IMG_1405.jpeg

IMG_1790.jpeg

IMG_1141.jpeg

11 hours ago, WeBcruisingMN said:

@mahdncHow fun to see your wonderful thread ‘resurrected’! Hope you and your family are doing very well 👍🏻 

We recently returned from a fantastic 35-nights of vacation to NZ & Australia, including the 11-night NZ cruise on the Eclipse (out of Sydney) March 26-April 6.

April 12-20 We did something new and amazing with our daughter Theresa and her fiancé Chris, along with his family. We flew from Melbourne (where they live) to Airlie Beach (airport= Proserpine) and rented a sail-yourself 50-foot catamaran for the week to sail in the Whitsunday Islands. It was an incredible sailing, which included snorkeling whenever we wanted, hiking on the many different national parklands of the different islands, and the most amazing starry skies we’ve ever seen- while moored in dark bays/ inlets. We even anchored near the famous Whitehaven Beach late one afternoon, and essentially had it all to ourselves to enjoy- after the numerous helicopter tours had finished for the day. 

It was different than our usual cruise (we had ‘work’ to do), but all the work (sailing, anchoring/mooring  process, cooking, etc) was shared among the nine of us, and the benefits of the serenity and adventure were worth it.

If anyone ever has any questions about such an adventure, let me know 

sharonbaranick at yahoo dot com

I’ll attach a few pics:

IMG_1344.jpeg

IMG_1405.jpeg

IMG_1790.jpeg

IMG_1141.jpeg

W O W ! !

I know that COVID kept you guys separated, but it looks like you have really made up for it in a really big way.  I am very happy of all of you.

Sailing the Whitsundays sounds like an awesome immersive experience--and maybe the only real way to see them--and it has me drooling just thinking about it (except I don't know how to sail).  Your pictures look terrific.  I am sure you will be doing this again, but I wonder where.  I had friends at work that did something like this in the British Virgin Islands and they had a great time.

Who in your group had the sailing skills?

When does your daughter get married and which continent will it be occurring?

David