4* dining discount for guests?

luvn2cruzzz

I did, for eight others. Because we were ten, celebrating a significant birthday, I called Ship Services a couple of months prior to departure, to book the large table in the PG. I paid full price for all ten at time of booking. And got the discount back as OBC during the cruise.

I have read of others not being able to get the discount for their guests, though. Hopefully, that was a one off.

Wondering if our discount applies if we take friends for dinner who are not 4*. I thought I heard somewhere it did but wanting to hear from anyone who has experience with this. Thanks!

If you pay, you get the discount. If your guests pay, there is no discount.

Sometimes you get the discount, sometimes you don't. When I invited a guest to join me in the Pinnacle, expecting he would use my second 'free' dinner, I was charged at his 4* rate.

Since our dinner was on the last night, and it didn't show up charged until I got my bill as I was disembarking, I let it go.

Based on many posts I have read on this board, others have gotten the discount, though.

Sometimes you get the discount, sometimes you don't. When I invited a guest to join me in the Pinnacle, expecting he would use my second 'free' dinner, I was charged at his 4* rate.

Since our dinner was on the last night, and it didn't show up charged until I got my bill as I was disembarking, I let it go.

Based on many posts I have read on this board, others have gotten the discount, though.

I wonder if that was because "you" get the free dinner (being a 5 Star)?

Based on past experiences, I think you need to make it very clear to the table staff if other diner's upcharges will be charged to your room. Before we were 4-star, friends would always pay for our dinners in the Pinnacle or Caneletto, get the 50% discount on all charges, and then we would pay them back at the discounted rate. Twice we had two other rooms (four diners) charged back to the same 5-star Mariner's room. No HAL staff ever questioned it or raised an eyebrow, and frankly none of us ever gave it a second thought that it would not be approved.

The only time we ran into a problem was when the reservation was made through the Neptune Concierge, and they were given the instructions to charge everything to one room, but the instructions were not passed on to the table staff. Then everyone got charged for their own meals, at their appropriate discount rates.

I wonder if that was because "you" get the free dinner (being a 5 Star)?

I would expect the 3, 4, and 5* benefits to follow the same process. If the *Mariner is paying the bill, and the guests' dinners are given the cash discounts, then discount of the full dinner should be given as well.

It's not as if I had already used my 2nd free dinner that week.

But since when has HAL been consistent with anything???