Saguenay, Canada

gaunerdog

We have the Summit scheduled for the 9/9/18, 14 day New England/Canada cruise. I need to find out if there is a port stop in Saguenay. It is listed on the itinerary but I saw a prior post from 9/17 that omitted the port call due to the ship speed /whale safety. Could anyone share any information?:confused::(

We were on Summit in September and it skipped Saguenay because of last minute speed restrictions by the Canadian government to protect the Atlantic Right Whales. The ship now has a year in advance to figure this all out timing-wise so maybe you will be OK.

Be prepared not to get to Saguenay. We were on the 9 /24/17 Summit cruise and they canceled this stop because of the speed restrictions and we got an extra sea day.

Also I just read that the problem with the Right Whales is even worse than first thought, so I am sure the speed restrictions and maybe even stricter regulations will be kept / put in place.

We really wanted to go to Saguenay and were very disappointed they canceled the stop, but fully understand why.

Yes, there is a fine small port facility and it is a personal favorite. A few years ago, while on a HAL Canada/NE cruise we were informed that a major Atlantic storm would prevent us from even leaving the safety of the St Lawrence River. We would have to skip 2 ports at Prince Edward Island. So, with only 24 hours notice, our itinerary was changed and we cruised up the river to Saguenay. The town folks, having less than a days notice, had fully staffed the small terminal building, set up all kinds of stands selling regional arts and crafts (some were quite amazing). They also provided free shuttle buses to get us into town, and put a local citizen on each bus to talk about their area and help anyone with questions. The local on our bus said they actually had a local "telephone chain" which they used to summon all kinds of volunteers to welcome the cruise ship and cruisers. Nearly everyone left that port with a big smile...thanks to the wonderful Canadians.

Hank

to summon all kinds of volunteers to welcome the cruise ship and cruisers.

Welcomers.

36bf801463c936487b102b72f7464f21.jpg

50119e206374d3e5e7051f435e9d21a3.jpg

571ed6db3a9d7e3c516742182a5d6563.jpg

7aa1b9a5b4866ff33f02b69c8adca5a4.jpg

c9d78a4c69c678bc53b3b78cad8ff505.jpg

Saguenay is one of the cleanest towns I have ever seen. The Wi-Fi in the Terminal building was fast.

8b624280f6598bb8c34aa7649abefdd3.jpg

Edited by upwarduk

We LOVED this port and the people who live there! As mentioned many town folks come down to the dock and provide booths and interactive events. And the town puts on a show that is just wonderful ...all about the history of the area. Don't miss it!! LuAnn