12 Night Anthem (partially live) Review

Bubbis3

A quick note on San Juan and St. Maarten:

As everyone is aware, these two ports were heavily damaged due to hurricanes this summer. I did see significant damage in Old San Juan but not enough to stop me from going into town. I’ve heard others make mention of the lack of power in PR. This did cause some people to have delays getting back to the ship for departure. So if you’re going on an excursion not sponsored by RC, plan ahead and leave extra time to get back to the ship.

This is the first time Anthem has been back to St. Maarten since the hurricane. The shops at the end of the pier were wiped out. Dimonds International had their grand reopening yesterday while we were there. There were several reconstructed shopping buildings there. Some have not been completed yet but shouldn’t be to long before ready. A lot of vegetation is gone. Having been to this port several times, I can remember lush, tropical vegetation on the hill sides. A lot of it is now brown. There are still many, many buildings with significant damage to them including many hotels. I did a shore excursion on a catamaran and was able to see a lot of the damage first hand from the crew. They had before and after pictures they were showing everyone onboard. If your the type of person who is bothered by distruction and people living through hardship, you may want to stay on the ship. But like I said, the shopping at the end of the pier, the government has done a good job to date restoring that area. Also, in the past, there’s been 3 water taxi’s between the ships and the town. I only noticed 2 running yesterday.

A quick note on San Juan and St. Maarten:

As everyone is aware, these two ports were heavily damaged due to hurricanes this summer. I did see significant damage in Old San Juan but not enough to stop me from going into town. I’ve heard others make mention of the lack of power in PR. This did cause some people to have delays getting back to the ship for departure. So if you’re going on an excursion not sponsored by RC, plan ahead and leave extra time to get back to the ship.

This is the first time Anthem has been back to St. Maarten since the hurricane. The shops at the end of the pier were wiped out. Dimonds International had their grand reopening yesterday while we were there. There were several reconstructed shopping buildings there. Some have not been completed yet but shouldn’t be to long before ready. A lot of vegetation is gone. Having been to this port several times, I can remember lush, tropical vegetation on the hill sides. A lot of it is now brown. There are still many, many buildings with significant damage to them including many hotels. I did a shore excursion on a catamaran and was able to see a lot of the damage first hand from the crew. They had before and after pictures they were showing everyone onboard. If your the type of person who is bothered by distruction and people living through hardship, you may want to stay on the ship. But like I said, the shopping at the end of the pier, the government has done a good job to date restoring that area. Also, in the past, there’s been 3 water taxi’s between the ships and the town. I only noticed 2 running yesterday.

Were you on the Golden Eagle catamaran? I booked it for my 1/28 cruise. How was it? Was the beach OK that they brought you to? How much time do they give you at the beach? Thanks.

Were you on the Golden Eagle catamaran? I booked it for my 1/28 cruise. How was it? Was the beach OK that they brought you to? How much time do they give you at the beach? Thanks.

Yes I was. There are 2 catamarans. If yours is captained by Sam, she’s fantastic. You snorkel for a half hour. No experience necessary. They will teach you everything you need to know. Then you head down the coast to the beach. You have to swim in from the boat to shore. They have noodles if your not a strong swimmer. They give you about 45 minuets at the beach. Then on the way back, they serve sandwiches. It’s more of a snack. Also, they will keep you hydrated with a soda or adult beverage. And you can drink as much as you like. Hint for you. If you’re on Sam’s boat, I sat in the front of the catamaran and absolutely loved it up there. I come from an ocean community town and love being out on boats. It was choppy coming back so you will get splashed if you sit up front and that’s the case. If that’s not your thing, the other option is under cover below deck.

The beach was great. It’s just past Majo beach. Lots of sand. Again, there’s high end hotels in that area that are completely destroyed.

Yes I was. There are 2 catamarans. If yours is captained by Sam, she’s fantastic. You snorkel for a half hour. No experience necessary. They will teach you everything you need to know. Then you head down the coast to the beach. You have to swim in from the boat to shore. They have noodles if your not a strong swimmer. They give you about 45 minuets at the beach. Then on the way back, they serve sandwiches. It’s more of a snack. Also, they will keep you hydrated with a soda or adult beverage. And you can drink as much as you like. Hint for you. If you’re on Sam’s boat, I sat in the front of the catamaran and absolutely loved it up there. I come from an ocean community town and love being out on boats. It was choppy coming back so you will get splashed if you sit up front and that’s the case. If that’s not your thing, the other option is under cover below deck.

I'm also from an ocean community. I live on the beach at the Jersey Shore. I love being in the water, but I'm not really a swimmer. How far is it to the beach? Can you just wade in? I would be happy just floating around with a noodle by the boat.

Bob: How was traffic in the Bayonne Bridge area on the way to the port? I know they have a big roadwork project going on there and last time we cruised out of there, about 1 yr ago,,they had some detours in place and traffic was heavy. Just wondering how the progress was going on the roadwork there.

Bob: How was traffic in the Bayonne Bridge area on the way to the port? I know they have a big roadwork project going on there and last time we cruised out of there, about 1 yr ago,,they had some detours in place and traffic was heavy. Just wondering how the progress was going on the roadwork there.

Here's the website for the Bayonne Bridge construction updates (bridge between Staten Island and Bayonne, not the NJ Turnpike I78 Bridge from Newark to Bayonne) - https://www.panynj.gov/alerts-advisories/advisories-bayonne-bridge.cfm

In recent months the closures have been primarily overnight.

Was the catamaran excursion booked through Royal Caribbean or outside company?

Thanks for the update on San Juan and St. Martin.

Donna, Its' the Golden Eagle tour through Royal. I booked it last week. Not sure if I'm keeping it. It depends on if anyone else is going.

Following...I'm on the Anthem a little less than a year from now on a 12 night. I'm in one of the teeny tiny cabins with a balcony - the price was right for a solo cruiser when I booked it last spring.

Glad to hear that St. Maarten is coming back - love Maho Beach and the airport. The catamaran cruise sounds perfect too! I've never been to San Juan so won't have anything to compare it too.

Thanks for the review!

Recently I headed to Jersey City from Parsippany on a quiet work day morning and it was less than 45 min to,the exit. On a normal work day morning during rush hour add more time. No detours coming from I-78 east onto the turnpike extension to exit 14A. We sail on the 28th, which is a Sunday, so I don't expect a problem. Heading home on a weekday will be different.

Recently I headed to Jersey City from Parsippany on a quiet work day morning and it was less than 45 min to,the exit. On a normal work day morning during rush hour add more time. No detours coming from I-78 east onto the turnpike extension to exit 14A. We sail on the 28th, which is a Sunday, so I don't expect a problem. Heading home on a weekday will be different.

The Bayonne Bridge, from Staten Island, is on the opposite end of Bayonne from the 14A Turnpike exit. Two totally different routes.

I have never seen traffic on the Bayonne Bridge, unless there is an accident or a temporary closure due to construction. Right now most of the construction is done at night, and it no longer closes during the day

We will be on Anthem 8/23/18 9 night sailing to Canada. We have My Time Dining. I don't like to make reservations. Do you know if Diamond + are allowed to bypass the wait line to get into the Dining Room? I recall on our last Oasis cruise, that was the case. Oasis was not busy, so it wasn't an issue. I certainly don't want to tick off fellow cruisers. Having MTD, and then having to make reservations for each night, kinda takes away from the spontaneity of the cruise.

Following...I'm on the Anthem a little less than a year from now on a 12 night. I'm in one of the teeny tiny cabins with a balcony - the price was right for a solo cruiser when I booked it last spring.

Glad to hear that St. Maarten is coming back - love Maho Beach and the airport. The catamaran cruise sounds perfect too! I've never been to San Juan so won't have anything to compare it too.

Thanks for the review!

These cabins are small but not "teeny" with the balcony and ocean view. They have a double bed.

Donna, Its' the Golden Eagle tour through Royal. I booked it last week. Not sure if I'm keeping it. It depends on if anyone else is going.

Hi Gail,

This Ellen not Donna. Not on until the 5/3. I have been looking at some of the ports when it is stormy or cold. A little distraction.

I am disappointed about Orient beach and the repairs not being done by then. It is so beautiful there. The last time I was in St. Maarten, I did a tour of the island and going in the submarine.

Hopefully, the recovery in St. Maarten starts 5 speed up for the residents sake.

Have a great weekend.

Ellen

I'm also from an ocean community. I live on the beach at the Jersey Shore. I love being in the water, but I'm not really a swimmer. How far is it to the beach? Can you just wade in? I would be happy just floating around with a noodle by the boat.

My estimation is about 100 yards in to shore. If your not a strong swimmer, use the noodles provided.

Peter, I did notice the road work. Especially just past the toll both. We traveled down on a Sunday morning. There really wasn’t any traffic to speak of at that time. No construction going on. I drove straight to the terminal without delay. I’m expecting Friday morning, when we return, to be a completely different story.

Bob

We will be on Anthem 8/23/18 9 night sailing to Canada. We have My Time Dining. I don't like to make reservations. Do you know if Diamond + are allowed to bypass the wait line to get into the Dining Room? I recall on our last Oasis cruise, that was the case. Oasis was not busy, so it wasn't an issue. I certainly don't want to tick off fellow cruisers. Having MTD, and then having to make reservations for each night, kinda takes away from the spontaneity of the cruise.

From what I can see, on this class ship, Dimond+ doesn’t get the same type of benefits that you can get on an Oasis class ship. The separate line for check in’s is for suite and pinnacle members.

From what I can see, on this class ship, Dimond+ doesn’t get the same type of benefits that you can get on an Oasis class ship. The separate line for check in’s is for suite and pinnacle members.

The perks that happen inside the cruise terminal can vary by terminal, some have more facilities than others. However, once onboard, your perks should be the same.

Donna, It's the Golden Eagle tour through Royal. I booked it last week. Not sure if I'm keeping it. It depends on if anyone else is going.

Gayle, I'll do it with you. Email me if you like. Link in signature. Or CC name, no underscore, at aol dot com