Photos of Old Baked Alaska vs. New Baked Alaska

lovestocruise19

That does look good :)

I made it years ago in Home Economics, and honestly that was better than the few "professional" ones I've had since. I found the science of it cool (yep, a bit of a nerd) how the merengue insulated it all and the ice cream didn't melt. On my last Princess cruise I had a merengue cookie that was just as good, but the actual Baked Alaska was disappointing. Hopefully this will be better - at least I'd enjoy the berries!

That does look good :)

I made it years ago in Home Economics, and honestly that was better than the few "professional" ones I've had since. I found the science of it cool (yep, a bit of a nerd) how the merengue insulated it all and the ice cream didn't melt. On my last Princess cruise I had a merengue cookie that was just as good, but the actual Baked Alaska was disappointing. Hopefully this will be better - at least I'd enjoy the berries!

I gave the berries to DH. :D

All kidding aside, the only time we had this was on our Destiny cruise with our girls back in 2006. Since it was mostly a locals Puerto Rican cruise, the MDR was relatively empty most nights. Don't ask me why, but I think the locals tended to eat at the buffet rather than the MDR. As a result, our waiter and assistant waiter spent a lot of time doting on our two girls.

Baked Alaska was on the menu one night and the waiters asked our daughters if they would like some for desert. They said 'yes' and then brought the entire Baked Alaska out to them. Got everyone's attention! (They cut them their own piece)

Needless to say great MDR experience and I remember that moment every time Baked Alaska is on any menu.