Anytime dining Vista??

helene109

Very easy. You will check in on deck 5 and then walk down to deck three for a table of your own.

What? that is the dumbest thing I ever heard. What was Carnival thinking? I might pass on the Vista just because of this moronic idea. Can you imagine if a restaurant did something like this?

Great thanks is earlier better? When do the doors first open? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The MDR opens at 6:00 p.m. Just as with YTD dining on any other ship, The earlier you go, the better your chances are of being seated right away. If you wait until about 6:15 - 6:30, there'll be more people waiting to be seated.

What? that is the dumbest thing I ever heard. What was Carnival thinking? I might pass on the Vista just because of this moronic idea. Can you imagine if a restaurant did something like this?

It's because of the way the ship was designed. The dining room that has YTD is in the Aft of the ship, and there's a small area right outside the entrance to the dining room, about the same size area that you would find in the elevator lobby. There are several things I didn't like about the Vista, but I don't want to hijack this thread with my list of complaints. Let's just say I have zero plans to book a cruise on the Horizon.

They also did it this way on the Sunshine last September. I think it is coming to more ships near you as they move YTD to the AFT dining room.

We were kinda bummed that all they had left on the Vista was YTD when we booked (nine months in advance) because we prefer early dining. We had done YTD on the Freedom repo cruise and didn't like it at all. We had to stand in long lines and had to have a pager on elegant night.

On the Vista, however, it was much different. You checked in on Deck Five Aft by the coffee bar and then they gave you a little slip of paper with your name, table request (table for two, etc) and table number. Then you walk down two floors to Deck 3 in the Horizon Aft Dining room and hand the host your piece of paper and a waiter/waitress leads you to your table. There were always two or three people checking people in and more often than not we walked right up and there was no line. The only time there was a "line" was elegant night and by line I mean like two people ahead of me. Another thing to note was that you could check in at 5:30 p.m. We always checked in between 5:30 and 5:45 p.m.

My husband and I were trying to figure out why this YTD was so much smoother and we came up with two ideas. One: Maybe they have streamlined things and improved the process since we were on the Freedom and two: Vista has many for fee restaurants so perhaps people were more spread out (also on Lido) and not everyone was going to the MDR.

Just my .02! If you'd like to take a look at my Vista review, follow the link below. I have photos of ship (including food):

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2585335

I’m pretty sure you have made this type of comment on other threads about YTD on the Vista. Since you have never been on the ship, you obviously won’t know why this makes sense. It is NOT a big deal. Have you never been to a restaurant where the dining area is upstairs or downstairs from the waiting area?

Also for Platinum and above passengers, you can go right down to the dining area.

Personally, I was on the Vista for 33 days and loved it.

I

Also for Platinum and above passengers, you can go right down to the dining area.

Sadly not... This was allowed on our Med cruise but not this past June. They also didn't allow it on the Sunshine in September. Diamonds were the only ones that got to do this.

I’m pretty sure you have made this type of comment on other threads about YTD on the Vista. Since you have never been on the ship, you obviously won’t know why this makes sense. It is NOT a big deal. Have you never been to a restaurant where the dining area is upstairs or downstairs from the waiting area?

Personally, I was on the Vista for 33 days and loved it.

Agreed, My wife and I did YTD on the Vista and it worked flawlessly. This hate for the Vista is getting ridiculous and I think some folks aren't happy unless they're being nitpicky. ;)

Very easy. You will check in on deck 5 and then walk down to deck three for a table of your own.

Go ahead! More room for us. It was this way on the Sunshine and actually made things easier. If you had a wait, you could do so sitting in the Ocean Lounge with a drink, not crowded into the small elevator lobby that is right in front of the aft dining room. It was certainly no hardship to stop by on 5, check in, take your "ticket," and head down the aft elevators to 3. It eliminated a lot of the crowding that is often found at the front of the dining room as people are waiting to be seated.

We love it, that's the only dining we do! we get there usually there is a little line no big deal, go whatever time you like ask for a 4 top table, the only noticeable difference was on elegant night when I guess everyone goes to the dinning room, have been given a pager but never have i ever waited long than 30 mins. The freedom this allows you is awesome, getting back from excursion trying to get ready in time now its your time, you can stop at the taste bar if you want to go later on.

We loved YTD on the Vista. I find it hard to believe that people actually have a problem with stopping on Deck 5 to check in before going down to the dining room. It was so simple and really did relieve the congestion in the foyer in front of the dining room. Never a wait for us and we ate in the dining room 7 out of the 8 nights.

I've been on many cruises over the last 30 years and my husband and I felt the Vista was the best yet! Loved the food (especially Guys Burgers and BBQ). We loved it so much we just booked the Horizon for June!

I do not understand why you have to check in on one floor, and walk down to your restaurant. Why is this? We have anytime dining booked for our Breeze cruise in March 2019. We chose it because our most recent two cruises were on NCL and enjoyed the freedom of Freestyle Cruising, and decided we didn’t like being pegged into a strict dinner time. Does the Breeze make you check in somewhere other than the dining room? That is so stupid! On NCL, you have 3 MDRs to choose from (plus 2 other complimentary restaurants and a buffet) that you just show up to the hostess at whatever restaurant we want and ask for a table. And we never have waited for a table. Please, someone clarify of what to expect on the Breeze.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Having the check-in area somewhere other than right outside the dining room prevents a lot of congestion in the small lobby area outside the dining room. Instead of walking all the way to the dining room and then spending any wait time in a small area, you walk part way to the dining room, stop at the check-in desk for your table assignment in a more open area than the dining room lobby and then walk the rest of the way to the dining room when your table is ready. At most, having the check-in on deck 5 and the dining room on deck 3 on Vista made my walk 2-3 minutes longer. The longest line was at the check-in desk - 3 or 4 parties ahead of me. The longest wait was 5-10 minutes, and that was during the "busy" time. Most of the time there was no wait at all.

All that is open and we have never had it before, any tips. We are a family of 4 and prefer to sit by ourselves. We have only had early dining. Thanks! This is for July 6 day!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Your time dining on Vista is 5:45-9:30. This is our preferred time slot. We have been able to get the same wait staff just by asking. You may not get the same table, but you'll be in the same general area. You can request a table for just the four of you.

We like to eat when we're hungry or before or after events, so YTD works well.

Having the check-in area somewhere other than right outside the dining room prevents a lot of congestion in the small lobby area outside the dining room. Instead of walking all the way to the dining room and then spending any wait time in a small area, you walk part way to the dining room, stop at the check-in desk for your table assignment in a more open area than the dining room lobby and then walk the rest of the way to the dining room when your table is ready. At most, having the check-in on deck 5 and the dining room on deck 3 on Vista made my walk 2-3 minutes longer. The longest line was at the check-in desk - 3 or 4 parties ahead of me. The longest wait was 5-10 minutes, and that was during the "busy" time. Most of the time there was no wait at all.

All I'm saying, and got beat up for it, can you imagine a restaurant on land telling you to go elsewhere to get a ticket for a dinner reservation, they would have very short lines, possibly none. Why can't they just seat you and let you eat. I have looked inside the MDR when they are giving out beepers and have a 1/2 a full house, why? Even not on the Vista, why do they make you wait when the dining room is not full. This would alleviate all the confusion and clutter