Protein Powder ?

Noreen411

No we're not flying and just got this reply back from RCCL. Since the original container is HUGE  and has 45 servings in it, not sure what I'll do now...:

Good Afternoon,

Thank you for contacting the Access Department.

You are allowed to bring, non-perishable food items such as cookies, crackers, chips, energy bars, etc.  These items must not require refrigeration and be sealed in the original store bought containers.

Best regards,

Yavonna Thames-Harvey
Access Advocate

Yes, that is fine.

But the next time you MIGHT have issues.  The rules state unopened container.

And while it seems they do not enforce it on a regular basis, the CAN enforce it at any time.

• 4 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Canmilitarywife said:

I don’t do powder but the premixed protein drink. Will it be ok if I bring like 14-20 of them?

Rule says only 12 containers of non-alcoholic beverages in carry-on.  Your experience may vary.

We took a 30 oz. container of protein powder with us (unopened) on our Freedom cruise out of San Juan last year, no issues. We also took a small blender (magic bullet type). I even called RCCL prior to ask about the blender because I was afraid of it being confiscated, and RCCL had no definitive answer. They said "well it doesn't say anywhere in the rules that it's not allowed, but it's up to the individual port." 

You said you're not flying so not an issue, but in airports, I have had my carry-on separately screened even with individual packets of protein powder. They test it and give it back as long as it comes back 'clean' - but it does take some extra time. Not sure if they are as rigorous at the cruise terminals.

8 minutes ago, Canmilitarywife said:

I’m going to call RCI, because it’s something I need for medical reasons. I even carry a doctors note when flying so I don’t have issues. Thanks

You can also try special_needs@rccl.com

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Canmilitarywife said:

I’m going to call RCI, because it’s something I need for medical reasons. I even carry a doctors note when flying so I don’t have issues. 

While you may not have issues once the containers are on board, if you go through the terminal security line with them in your carry on, they may questions them there - they don't work for RCI.

2 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

While you may not have issues once the containers are on board, if you go through the terminal security line with them in your carry on, they may questions them there - they don't work for RCI.

I was only going to carry 1 in my carry on and the others in my suit case checked. That way any issue in security I will drink it right on spot. Since they are 11oz, not allowed in carry on in airports. Thanks for heads up tho

1 minute ago, Queen of Oakville said:

On Symphony - they were included with the refreshment package.  

Even with the protein powder?  All reports I've seen up to now excluded beverages with protein powder.

20 minutes ago, Canmilitarywife said:

I was only going to carry 1 in my carry on and the others in my suit case checked.

Realize that the new soda policy expects the customer to carry on the beverages. You might be OK, but may end up in the naughty room to collect your luggage.

Just now, Host Clarea said:

Even with the protein powder?  All reports I've seen up to now excluded beverages with protein powder.

Yes.  I should clarify that this was at the Vitality Spa.  There was a meal replacement power shake and a Muscle Building Shake.  Creatine and Protein Powder could be added to any juice or smoothie, and covered on the refreshment package.

Just now, Queen of Oakville said:

Yes.  I should clarify that this was at the Vitality Spa.  There was a meal replacement power shake and a Muscle Building Shake.  Creatine and Protein Powder could be added to any juice or smoothie, and covered on the refreshment package.

Thanks for the update.  We've asked that on Oasis and Allure and they said beverages with protein powder were not included with any package.  Yet another RC inconsistency.

2 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Realize that the new soda policy expects the customer to carry on the beverages. You might be OK, but may end up in the naughty room to collect your luggage.

I will email special needs and ask A) if allowed and B) should I carry on or if it’s ok to put in luggage

3 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Thanks for the update.  We've asked that on Oasis and Allure and they said beverages with protein powder were not included with any package.  Yet another RC inconsistency.

it might have something to do with how the beverages are priced.  The entire menu at Vitality Spa was priced at 6.25 - perhaps it was covered because of the price?  YMMV and my experience on Symphony may not be representative 😞