First time on Princess Questions

cheriberi

After 6 cruises on Celebrity, I have booked my first Princess cruise on the Regal Princess to New England/Canada. I know what the policies are on Celebrity, but wonder if they are the same on Princess.

1. I know I can bring soda & water on embarkation day, but since we are flying and taking the Princess transfer to the ship, I won’t have the opportunity to purchase my soda before I arrive at the ship. Will Princess permit me to purchase soda at our first port & bring it back onboard?

2. When does boarding begin so I can check flight schedules?

3. Is the MDR open for lunch on embarkation day? Port days?

Thanks for the help. I am really looking forward to my first Princess cruise. The Regal looks like a beautiful ship!

Like the above post says; you can bring soda onboard. One of the dining rooms will be open on embarkation day; they will list which one will be open. Boarding will start with suite and elite guests first then all others. I would say 11-noon for boarding.

3. Is the MDR open for lunch on embarkation day? Port days?

There are usually three MDRs on Princess ships (can also be 1, 2, or 5). One of those MDRs will be open on embarkation day (but only 12:00-1:25), and it's an FAQ around here about it. Here's why:

If you ask a crewmember "where's lunch?", they're programmed to say "Horizon Court, deck <##>". However, if you ask "which MDR is open for lunch?", they say "MDR <blah> deck ##/<location>, but you should go to Horizon Court, deck <##>".

They can, in theory, move it around. Lots of easy ways to figure it out:

1) As you enjoy the line to get aboard the ship, look into the windows of the MDRs (if you're in line after 12:00 but well before 1:25) and look for people. First in usually gets window seats.

2) Ask a crewmember.

3) Grab the Princess Patter in your stateroom and check the back page for lunch location/times.

4) Swing by Passenger Services and grab a fresh Patter if your room didn't have one or you've skipped going to the room.

5) Visit the MDRs directly. Be sure to check the "main" doors though; if you find a door marked "Club Class" and you aren't in a suite or premium mini-suite, expect to get turned away (and of course, the crew is programmed to tell you to go to Horizon Court). If you found the Club Class doors, you can probably just walk to the other side of the ship and find a set of open MDR doors where you'll be able to get lunch (CC MDR is the MDR they use for breakfast daily and lunch at sea).

If you ask a crewmember "where's lunch?", they're programmed to say "Horizon Court, deck <##>". However, if you ask "which MDR is open for lunch?", they say "MDR <blah> deck ##/<location>, but you should go to Horizon Court, deck <##>".

Yeah, but...on our first cruise (already on CC and KNEW there was lunch in the MDR), as we boarded asked the first crew member we saw..."which dining room is open for lunch?"

Crew member: Horizon Court go to Lido deck.

Me: No, I want to know which dining room is open.

Me: walk and ye shall find.:D

One caveat regarding embarkation day lunch in MDR:

If it is a cruise that has departed from another port and is continuing on with the same passengers as part of a longer cruise it is considered a "port day" and there is no MDR open for lunch. For instance we boarded in SF and there was MDR lunch available as it was a "departure port" and then more passengers came aboard in LA to continue on through the Panama Canal. The people who boarded in LA did so on a port day rather than a main embarkation day. There was no MDR lunch available. No biggie but something to be aware of just in case.

One caveat regarding embarkation day lunch in MDR:

If it is a cruise that has departed from another port and is continuing on with the same passengers as part of a longer cruise it is considered a "port day" and there is no MDR open for lunch. For instance we boarded in SF and there was MDR lunch available as it was a "departure port" and then more passengers came aboard in LA to continue on through the Panama Canal. The people who boarded in LA did so on a port day rather than a main embarkation day. There was no MDR lunch available. No biggie but something to be aware of just in case.

Good point

We were on the Regal in December and highly recommend Alfredo's for lunch on first day or any day. We actually went there as soon as we checked out our cabin. Started boarding process at 11.

I always take diet cokes and water aboard; if arriving by car I strap them , put a luggage tag on them, and unload at the dock with other luggage. If I have to buy at the port, I just walk aboard with all I can carry.

The Regal is beautiful, but I'm not sure if they have the medallion up and working yet or not. We asked for and got $100 OBC because medallion was advertised but not available for our cabin. Your agent can check for you.

• 4 months later...

Here is another vote for Alfredo’s on embarkation. Good hours and a variety of items in addition to the Pizza. Generally no wait but occasionally a few minutes at most to be seated. To the OP, if Newport is your first stop, I believe it is a tender port and that might affect how much soda you feel comfortable carrying.

Thank you so much. So, if our first port is Newport, Rhode Island, I can purchase soda & bring it back to my cabin? This is good to know.

Yes, but Newport is a tender port, so you may want to limit it to a 6 pack per person for the sake of logisitics. Easier to bring on a case when you are alongside.

Yeah, but...on our first cruise (already on CC and KNEW there was lunch in the MDR), as we boarded asked the first crew member we saw..."which dining room is open for lunch?"

Me: No, I want to know which dining room is open.

Me: walk and ye shall find.:D

I have heard that so many times that I have quit asking but rather go in search of the MDR usually in midship. On the Regal/Royal and any other ship with an Aflredo's, I go there instead as it is good and very much overlooked.