Naples Italy Excursion

IRdoc

Traveling on Symphony of Sea this summer. We stop in Naples and are looking for advice on making the most of shore excursion for the day.

Never been to this part of Italy.

Is it too much to do tour of Isle of Capri and Pompeii?

Alternative is we focus on Capri and make another future trip to Pompeii and Amalfi Coast?

Yes, too much for both Capri and Pompeii. I've only made it to Pompeii (we took public transport there and back and it was part of the adventure and fun - in addition to saving us some cash while avoiding the cattle call group transportation) and it was fantastic. We did debate between Herculaneum and Pompeii, but I'm glad we went with Pompeii. I'd love to head back as to get to Capri.

Second visit we didn't port in Naples, but instead the port near to Sorrento which made the Amalfi coast more accessible than Capri and it was AMAZING. I need to just go spend a week or two in Italy. I really don't think there is much you could pick that is "wrong" there.

Judy

We stopped at Naples last fall and went to Capri. It was one of our favorite stops and we did not have enough time to do everything that we wanted to do. No way I would suggest combining Capri with something else. We caught one of the earliest high speed ferries in the morning (short walk from where the ship docks). We immediately went up to Anacapri and did both Villa San Michelle and the chairlift to the top of Mount Solaro before the crowds hit. We had Villa San Michelle almost completely to ourselves (saw one other couple) and it was drop dead gorgeous. The views from Mount Solara are amazing. We ate near the Piazatta and had enough time to walk around and look in a few stores before taking the funicular back down to the harbor area and catch a ferry back. Check out capri.net to learn more about what the island offers. We easily did everything on our own...no tour group.

enhance

enhance

We don’t even have one day in Naples. What can we get in during that short time? Our ship is in port only from 11 AM to 9 PM. I think Pompeii or Herculaneum is at the top of our list.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We don’t even have one day in Naples. What can we get in during that short time? Our ship is in port only from 11 AM to 9 PM. I think Pompeii or Herculaneum is at the top of our list.

Capri would be very high on my list.

We stopped at Naples last fall and went to Capri. It was one of our favorite stops and we did not have enough time to do everything that we wanted to do. No way I would suggest combining Capri with something else. We caught one of the earliest high speed ferries in the morning (short walk from where the ship docks). We immediately went up to Anacapri and did both Villa San Michelle and the chairlift to the top of Mount Solaro before the crowds hit. We had Villa San Michelle almost completely to ourselves (saw one other couple) and it was drop dead gorgeous. The views from Mount Solara are amazing. We ate near the Piazatta and had enough time to walk around and look in a few stores before taking the funicular back down to the harbor area and catch a ferry back. Check out capri.net to learn more about what the island offers. We easily did everything on our own...no tour group.

enhance

enhance

very nice pictures. How long did you spend on the island; how long was your port time? Thanks

Traveling on Symphony of Sea this summer. We stop in Naples and are looking for advice on making the most of shore excursion for the day.

Never been to this part of Italy.

Is it too much to do tour of Isle of Capri and Pompeii?

Alternative is we focus on Capri and make another future trip to Pompeii and Amalfi Coast?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I see many responses about doing too much in one day, but we did the ship tour that included a boat ride past the Amalfi coast to Capri, then a delicious lunch then Pompeii. I don’t know when or if ill get back so we wanted to see all that we could.