Tropical cyclone Fehi

I have been watching Solstice as we have family on there. It looked like they missed Dunedin yesterday and were meant to be at the Fiordland today. I noticed last night that they were almost at the Fiordland area before midnight, then this morning out into the tasman, so it looks like they skipped Dunedin/Fiordland and headed back across the tasman early to try and avoid the worst of it.

The Solstice missed Dunedin yesterday, due to fog in the harbour, which closed the harbour.

They missed Fiordland, so they can get a jump on this bad weather.

A quick look at AIS shows several ships are missing ports today and are staying out at sea.

Oceanias Regatta - missed Lyttleon

Diamond Princess - missed Akaroa

Golden Princess - missed Fiordland

Seabourne Encore - Kaikoura ?

Yes, AIS now shows that Seabourne Encore has missed Kaikoura.

Where is all that information coming from about Solstice cruise? My son is on her. At Seascaner.com it shows current location as 1/3 way direct to Sydney and has travelled 318 mile since Milford sound. I see no changes due to cyclone

That site , **********, shows the proposed itinerary, and is not a live report. Any itinerary changes do not therefore show up.

The site you can google for Live reports is Marine Traffic AIS. That site is usually up to date but relies on the ships sending messages to the satellite and is sometimes a delayed report. Click on the blue icons ,cruise ships ,for the latest information.

Update from NZ

The West Coast on the South Island has now been declared a disaster area. Heavy rain and strong winds and King tides are lashing the entire country at the moment.

Where is all that information coming from about Solstice cruise? My son is on her. At Seascaner.com it shows current location as 1/3 way direct to Sydney and has travelled 318 mile since Milford sound. I see no changes due to cyclone

I can confirm all the information that has been posted about the Solstice, as I have been talking to a couple of passengers who are currently on her.

Here is where Diamond Princess, Oceanias Regatta, Seabourne Encore is from Marine Traffic AIS:

2l8wvia.jpg

30k83fo.jpg

kak9w8.jpg

I could not find Golden Princess on AIS.

Kiwi Kruzer forget about Viking Sun :),

Viking Sun has missed Napier, as the winds are too strong for the to dock, The Port posted on Facebook saying that they are getting 35knots wind gusts!

2ykciz6.jpg

Checked bridgecam re Diamond Princess, she is in heavy seas. Sea Princess cam not working, been tied up at Tauranga for 2 days. Golden Princess in some swells also. Sure is bad weather around NZ currently.:loudcry: Welcome to the 'shaky isles and its 'shaky seas.' !!

Checked bridgecam re Diamond Princess, she is in heavy seas. Sea Princess cam not working, been tied up at Tauranga for 2 days. Golden Princess in some swells also. Sure is bad weather around NZ currently.:loudcry: Welcome to the 'shaky isles and its 'shaky seas.' !!

Yes ..You would almost think its Queensland weather.

Some parts of Dunedin, South Dunedin , are actually below sea level, and have always been prone to flooding. Not helped by the moon at the moment and the king tides.

Diamond and Golden Princess are both due in Dunedin tomorrow. That should be interesting.:eek::eek:

Some parts of Dunedin, South Dunedin , are actually below sea level, and have always been prone to flooding. Not helped by the moon at the moment and the king tides.

Diamond and Golden Princess are both due in Dunedin tomorrow. That should be interesting.:eek::eek:

Blame it all on that bloody, blue , super moon.;p

Blame it all on that bloody, blue , super moon.;p

I dreamt about it, that's all. :') I did not see it, went out to Sams Pizzeria and the red wine got me. Or perhaps it was the balsamic vinegar in ye olde Greek Salad. lol.

Edited by NSWP

I was thinking more of the amount of rain that’s fallen. After almost drought conditions we get a seasons rainfall in a day...:eek:

True, when it rains in Qld, it sure does rain.

They need a lot of rain in Capetown, South Africa. The taps turn off on April 12.

Better send some rain over to those poor folk.

It will not be pleasant for those pax from Golden Princess and Diamond Princess in Dunedin tomorrow, the walking tour could be a snorkel and flippers job.

We are onboard the Celebrity Solstice and have just arrived safely a day early in Sydney.

Thanks to the wise decision made by Captain Tasos to miss the NZ Sounds and outrun Cyclone Tehi we avoided 10-12 m seas.

Today we are enjoying a day in Sydney and amazing Harbour views from our floating Hotel.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My husband and I got off the Sun Princess on Friday, January 26. We had quite the rocking and rolling ride crossing the Tasman Sea from Bay of Islands to Sydney on January 15, 16 and 17.

We took an extra day for the crossing (3 days instead of 2) to try to avoid the worst of a storm. Didn't really work as we still encountered 9 to 12 meter waves.

Thank you Scopalamine!

We are onboard the Celebrity Solstice and have just arrived safely a day early in Sydney.

Thanks to the wise decision made by Captain Tasos to miss the NZ Sounds and outrun Cyclone Tehi we avoided 10-12 m seas.

Today we are enjoying a day in Sydney and amazing Harbour views from our floating Hotel.

Good to hear you are having a great time after missing the sounds, a wise decision I would think.

My husband and I got off the Sun Princess on Friday, January 26. We had quite the rocking and rolling ride crossing the Tasman Sea from Bay of Islands to Sydney on January 15, 16 and 17.

We took an extra day for the crossing (3 days instead of 2) to try to avoid the worst of a storm. Didn't really work as we still encountered 9 to 12 meter waves.

Thank you Scopalamine!

I think I would rather be on the Solstice than the Sun Princess with big seas, sometimes size does matter

Good to hear you are having a great time after missing the sounds, a wise decision I would think.

Definitely the best decision, Captain Tasos kept us informed at all times. We are very pleased that we didn’t get caught in all the wild weather and huge seas.

I think I would rather be on the Solstice than the Sun Princess with big seas, sometimes size does matter

I agree. I've been on both ships in 5 metre seas and Solstice definitely handles them better than dear old Sun does.