Standby, last minute cruises?

Kustomcars

I always hear stories form some folks that live near cruise ports that very last minute cruises are sometimes available for very good rates. How does one go about requesting info on these? Do you have to go through travel agents, or the cruise lines themselves? Or online agents? Do they also accept a single cruiser?

Thanks in advance!

Many years ago I knew someone who showed up same day at San Pedro and got on a short Mexico cruise for next to nothing. That was a large number of years ago. I suspect the same couldn't be done today.

I've received emails from cruise lines with some decent discounts applying to cruise dates not that far out. Maybe ask to get on their mailing lists?

I always hear stories form some folks that live near cruise ports that very last minute cruises are sometimes available for very good rates. How does one go about requesting info on these? Do you have to go through travel agents, or the cruise lines themselves? Or online agents? Do they also accept a single cruiser?

Thanks in advance!

Typically, you can book a cruise up to the day prior. Some cruiselines will allow a booking on the day of embarkation. BUT, the reservation must be made via phone call, not just showing up at the terminal.

Of course, they'll book a single passenger. If there's availability.

Thanks in advance!

I use ncl.com :cool:

I have booked Thursday night for a Friday cruise with them.

A few 2 / 3 day's before at good price.

Typically, you can book a cruise up to the day prior. Some cruiselines will allow a booking on the day of embarkation. BUT, the reservation must be made via phone call, not just showing up at the terminal.

Of course, they'll book a single passenger. If there's availability.

I like this. When my wife decides to retire we will have the flexibility to take advantage of these kinds of opportunities. Thanks.

You can sign up for e-mail promotions through each cruise line. Once in awhile you may hear about a last minute deal but remember the challenge might be the cost of flying and a hotel. It could be booked though with a TA or directly though the line.

Keith

I'd be skeptical of some of the claims on great last minute rates. The people who brag want the listener to believe that their superior intellect, masterful fact finding ability, and shrewed negotiation skills got them the lowest price on board. Not too long ago we had a post where somebody claimed he had gone to the cruise terminal the day of sailing and booked right there! (That doesn't happen.)

The truth is that the cruise lines are masters at managing their capacity. Many use an automatic algorithm that adjusts pricing to demand and the lowest price may actually be right after final payment would be due rather than last minute. Unless a sailing isn't selling well there are not very many cabins left last minute. Of those that are left they are likely to be in the worst locations.

Somebody here outlined five things to keep in mind for a last minute booking:

1) Lowest price, over and above any other consideration, is your goal.

2) You accept that the price might instead go up.

3) You accept that the ship might sell out while you wait.

4) You can accept a category guarantee.

5) Airfare is not an issue.

I like this. When my wife decides to retire we will have the flexibility to take advantage of these kinds of opportunities. Thanks.

While you are waiting for your wife to retire, why not do a little research? It might take some length of time, but instead of watching the stock market, watch cruise prices. Test some last minute bookings on lines you may be interested in and see what comes up. Secondly, do a dummy booking now for a trip you might want to do in the future....say in June. Price it and jot down the price. When the final payment date is past (usually 75 days pre cruise date), check pricing and availability for the same cabin category...and then jot it down. Then 3, 2,1 day before sailing - do the same. Granted the pattern will most likely change for every cruise, but at least you learn something about the dynamics of cruise sales.

Blueband's 5 points are spot on, by the way.

While you are waiting for your wife to retire, why not do a little research? It might take some length of time, but instead of watching the stock market, watch cruise prices. Test some last minute bookings on lines you may be interested in and see what comes up. Secondly, do a dummy booking now for a trip you might want to do in the future....say in June. Price it and jot down the price. When the final payment date is past (usually 75 days pre cruise date), check pricing and availability for the same cabin category...and then jot it down. Then 3, 2,1 day before sailing - do the same. Granted the pattern will most likely change for every cruise, but at least you learn something about the dynamics of cruise sales.

Blueband's 5 points are spot on, by the way.

Aw shoot - a homework assignment. LOL. Not a bad idea. We like taking last minute/drop everything trips.

Last time we were traveling in Florida we signed up on Wednesday for a Saturday Caribbean trip. Good cruise, and about half the price of staying on land for the week. We did something similar when travelling in Europe and again in Australia.