Suggest check-in times and why they're ignored - a theory

lstone19

All theories aside. Everyone knows the real reason for staggered check-in times is simply to give Cruise Critic members one more topic to argue, theorize and suggest a better way to manage it.

Because after all.... after awhile it does become monotonous limiting threads to just beverage policy and dress code.

:loudcry::loudcry::loudcry::loudcry::loudcry::loudcry:

Add to that, that the people who are doing the actual check-in don't work for the cruise line, they work for the port.

No, that's actually not correct, at least not at all the ports. The company doing the check-in contract directly with the cruise line involved and work for them, not the port. At least that is the case for Princess and at least 4 other cruise lines at a number of ports. May not be the case at all cruise lines or all ports.

Tom

I would suggest the main reason they are ignored is that hotels require guests to check out by a certain time in the morning, usually between 10am and midday depending on the hotel. Most people would prefer to go straight to the cruise terminal after leaving their hotel, and to board the ship as soon as they can...

Exactly. I would much rather be on the ship than hanging around a hotel lobby. And that is nothing to do with self importance!

I am of the belief that if I am given a check in time, that's when I'm supposed to be there! I wouldn't dream of arriving earlier or later, because I'm following the well-planned orders - presumably to make everyone's life easier.

I don't know how it is with Princess down in Australia, but check-in times with the US Princess cruises, the times shown on your eBoarding pass clearly state that they are "suggested check-in times" and are not mandatory.

Tom

I don't know how it is with Princess down in Australia, but check-in times with the US Princess cruises, the times shown on your eBoarding pass clearly state that they are "suggested check-in times" and are not mandatory.

Tom

Not on the Australian ones, unfortunately.

I am of the belief that if I am given a check in time, that's when I'm supposed to be there! I wouldn't dream of arriving earlier or later, because I'm following the well-planned orders - presumably to make everyone's life easier.

I'm sure a there are at least a thousand people on every cruise who will gladly board before you.

Add to that, that the people who are doing the actual check-in don't work for the cruise line, they work for the port.

No, that's actually not correct, at least not at all the ports. The company doing the check-in contract directly with the cruise line involved and work for them, not the port. At least that is the case for Princess and at least 4 other cruise lines at a number of ports. May not be the case at all cruise lines or all ports.

Tom

That's the way it is in Ft. Lauderdale, too.

At one time, a woman who does princess check-in was trying to recruit Mrs. Pablo.

We had the name of the vendor to apply to...

That company provided the people to princess for checkin.

Tom

Where do you see that? I don't see 'suggested' anywhere.

That's the way it is in Ft. Lauderdale, too.

At one time, a woman who does princess check-in was trying to recruit Mrs. Pablo.

We had the name of the vendor to apply to...

That company provided the people to princess for checkin.

That same company handles Princess at Seattle, Ft Lauderdale, San Francisco and a number of others also. If you lost the name of the company and are looking for it let me know at my handle here at gmail.com.

Tom

Where do you see that? I don't see 'suggested' anywhere.

I don't have a copy of any of my eBoarding passes with me I was going on what I thought I had seen. Very well may have been faulty memory. Sorry 'bout that. Strictness of enforcement may very well vary from port to port for that matter.

Tom

That same company handles Princess at Seattle, Ft Lauderdale, San Francisco and a number of others also. If you lost the name of the company and are looking for it let me know at my handle here at gmail.com.

Tom

Thank you for the generous offer, Tom.

I'm pretty sure Mrs. Pablo is still in contact with a couple folks working in Ft. Lauderdale.

A very stern lady from Princess told me today that I would not be checked in until my allocated time regardless of Captain Circle level/time of arrival for my upcoming Singapore cruise. I felt like I was in school being naughty for asking! Oh well.

Someone at HQ is not as likely to give you a correct answer about this as posters here who have actually been on cruises with suggested embarkation times.