EDocs scanned on my Phone, or is a printed copy necessary?

TurtleCrossing1

I have the EDocs saved on my phone. Is this ok, or do I need a printed copy?
If you are sailing on the Sky, the answer is a maybe [emoji14] via the newest "Cruise Norwegian" app ... just exploring the App's demo, where it showed (screenshot uploaded) that "Online Check-In" on the phone is available "to save time at the pier" upon login.

Other ships aren't supported yet ... coming soon to the Bliss, I read elsewhere. Surprised that it has rolled out to the Escape or the Getaway ... but, my gut feeling is that it's more of a land/terminal operations - having the secured wireless network & server in place at the piers for boarding.

Having said that, when we checked in for our Spring 2017 cruise out of NYC with the old eDocs (new one with the updated stateroom upgrade wasn't generated) - pier agent only needed to see the booking reference/reservation # to locate our records on her laptop terminal. Contract/pier security is another consideration on its own ... but, they aren't marked "SSSS" regardless, unlike airport's TSA & Pre-Check or not.

Regardless, we saved a PDF version of our docs on the smartphone as backup, just in case - plus encrypted PDF of our passports/travel info & medical summary w. Rx for I.C.E.

8672cc0647332a876214ddbed6e825d6.jpg

Bring a printed copy of the first page, which say Ticket.

It is possible you might not need it but if you need it to get into the terminal you'll be glad you saved it since most terminal guards will not accept electronic proof.

There is no need to print anything. EDocs means just that - electronic documents. If they wanted printed copies NCL would tell you to print them and bring them with you or more likely would still be mailing them to you.

In the worst case you would have to show your phone or tablet screen to security. No big deal!

You should have a printed copy of the first page of your eDocs which is entitle "Guest Ticket Contract to be Presented for Passage".

Present the ticket for passage.

Why?

Why is an electronic copy insufficient?

Bring a printed copy of the first page, which say Ticket.

It is possible you might not need it but if you need it to get into the terminal you'll be glad you saved it since most terminal guards will not accept electronic proof.

Where in the past two years have you found a security person at embarkation that would not accept an e-doc?

Where in the past two years have you found a security person at embarkation that would not accept an e-doc?

Twice I have seen first hand people who did not or forget to print them out. It caused a delay each time, now times that by everyone checking in

There is no need to print anything. EDocs means just that - electronic documents. If they wanted printed copies NCL would tell you to print them and bring them with you or more likely would still be mailing them to you.

In the worst case you would have to show your phone or tablet screen to security. No big deal!

I'm looking at my "Edoc" right now........

CRUISE DOCUMENTSYour best vacation ever starts here. Please review these documents for accuracy. You should bring these documents along with your passport or proof of citizenship to the pier for check-in. See an error or have any questions? Please contact your travel professional, visit www.ncl.com or call our Reservations Department during standard business hours at 1.800.327.7030 and we'll take care of it right away.

Under that it says to "Print This Document"

I'm looking at my "Edoc" right now........

CRUISE DOCUMENTSYour best vacation ever starts here. Please review these documents for accuracy. You should bring these documents along with your passport or proof of citizenship to the pier for check-in. See an error or have any questions? Please contact your travel professional, visit www.ncl.com or call our Reservations Department during standard business hours at 1.800.327.7030 and we'll take care of it right away.

Under that it says to "Print This Document"

That doesn't necessarily mean to print them on paper. Print them to a file instead.

Terminal security wants to see it before you enter the checkin area

All of the years I sailed out of NYC, there was a person by the entrance checking boarding pass

Sent from my SM-T280 using Forums mobile app

So just like boarding a plane, you show them the docs on your phone. Time to stop killing trees.

Personally, I would print them out. Lost phone, stolen phone, battery “dead” phone, crashed phone, dropped phone, screen cracked phone, can’t access connection with the phone, etc!

As bad as having the phone unavailable for any reason, would be doubly worse if your only access to your boarding docs were on your phone.

Personally, I would print them out. Lost phone, stolen phone, battery “dead” phone, crashed phone, dropped phone, screen cracked phone, can’t access connection with the phone, etc!

As bad as having the phone unavailable for any reason, would be doubly worse if your only access to your boarding docs were on your phone.

Fully agree with this...even if you "could" only need your phone, it is best to also have a printed copy of just the first "ticket" page, "just-in-case".

Agreed. As much as I love being able to use my phone for things like movie "tickets", I would not be comfortable without a paper copy of something like boarding docs for a cruise.