Walk me through departing Civitavecchia and getting to Rome

MCazer

Although I have been on an excursion from Civitavecchia to Rome last year, we took the cruise line direct "cruise train" excursion, so not sure how to do it with luggage

We will be spending a few days in a hotel close to the Colosseum post cruise and instead of taking a cab or town car, I think we could do the train, since we will have rolling luggage and carry on each. Seems doable and save us some money

Can anyone give me precise directions ?

MCazer, Hard to be precise because the Port is being somewhat reconstructed with new Concrete and Gates here and there. BUT, for do-it-yourselfers, the ship hauls YOU and your luggage in a bus about 1/2 mile to a new Gate area plaza. From there for 2/Euros a dedicated bus service (ARGO bus) takes YOU and your luggage to the train station about 7/10ths of a mile away. (Or walk if you want to, but you may regret it.). Go into the train station and get a ticket to TERMINI station. It's the huge Main Train Station..about 45/miles away; about 1/mile from the Colosseum area of Rome. About 5/Euros for Regionale' standard train, or 16/Euros for the Frecciabianca Express. It takes about 1/hr Civit.Port to TERMINI by train. The slow trains are very full of local commuters..ie maybe standing Rm. only. Some luggage racks are avail. We've done it and will again in April, 2018. GOOGLE up 'Civitavecchia Train Station'...it's all there.

Although I have been on an excursion from Civitavecchia to Rome last year, we took the cruise line direct "cruise train" excursion, so not sure how to do it with luggage

We will be spending a few days in a hotel close to the Colosseum post cruise and instead of taking a cab or town car, I think we could do the train, since we will have rolling luggage and carry on each. Seems doable and save us some money

Can anyone give me precise directions ?

When we have cruised to Civi, we have taken the train to Rome. If you can manage your luggage, it is not difficult. FYI: at Civi station, there are stairs that one must negotiate to get to your platform.

Some great information on Civi cruise port to Rome here:

https://www.rometoolkit.com/airport/civitavechia_train.htm

Exit your ship with your luggage (if self-disembarking) or if not, find your luggage after disembarking.

Look for the FREE port shuttle to take you to the port entrance. There is storage for luggage. The buses look like this: https://civitavecchia.portmobility.it/sites/default/files/navetta_port_mobility.jpg

The shuttle will drop you at the main port entrance. Here you can buy tickets for the city bus (2 euro per person) that will take you to the train station. With luggage, this bus is a much better option than walking. This is what the buses look like that go to the train station: https://www.rometoolkit.com/Images/civitavecchia_public_bus.jpg.pagespeed.ce.Al8avTkfZA.jpg

Purchase your train ticket. You don't need the BIRG, just ask for the regular ticket to Rome. If you don't mind the regionale (commuter trains), they run frequently and are cheaper but you aren't guaranteed a seat. If you want to take one of the trains with reserved seats, check the timing on trenitalia.com (official website).

There is a Freccibianca train at 9:16 and 11:16 currently. These are the trains with reserved seating. If you go this route it may be best to buy your tickets in advance.

For trains with assigned seats you do not need to validate your ticket. For the regionale trains, you must validate the ticket by inserting it into the green or yellow boxes (before you get to the tracks) to be stamped.

At the train station, you will have to figure out which track your train departs from (track = binario in Italian). In all likelihood you'll have to go down a flight of stairs, cross under the tracks, and then go up the stairs on the other side, so be prepared.

Someone mentioned in a thread recently that Civitavecchia station was installing elevators, which would be nice. But I haven't seen it confirmed.

If your hotel is near the Colosseum, I'm not sure what would make more sense for you -- to get off at Termini and then take a taxi to your hotel or take the metro to the Colosseo stop and then walk. Or possibly to get off the train at Ostiense station (before arriving at Termini) and transferring to the metro to Colosseo there. The latter might save a bit of time and possibly a bit of walking if you take the regional train (which stops on one of the auxiliary tracks at Termini, necessitating a loooong walk to the front of the station where the metro and taxis are located.)

Exit your ship with your luggage (if self-disembarking) or if not, find your luggage after disembarking.

Look for the FREE port shuttle to take you to the port entrance. There is storage for luggage. The buses look like this: https://civitavecchia.portmobility.it/sites/default/files/navetta_port_mobility.jpg

The shuttle will drop you at the main port entrance. Here you can buy tickets for the city bus (2 euro per person) that will take you to the train station. With luggage, this bus is a much better option than walking. This is what the buses look like that go to the train station: https://www.rometoolkit.com/Images/civitavecchia_public_bus.jpg.pagespeed.ce.Al8avTkfZA.jpg

Purchase your train ticket. You don't need the BIRG, just ask for the regular ticket to Rome. If you don't mind the regionale (commuter trains), they run frequently and are cheaper but you aren't guaranteed a seat. If you want to take one of the trains with reserved seats, check the timing on trenitalia.com (official website).

There is a Freccibianca train at 9:16 and 11:16 currently. These are the trains with reserved seating. If you go this route it may be best to buy your tickets in advance.

For trains with assigned seats you do not need to validate your ticket. For the regionale trains, you must validate the ticket by inserting it into the green or yellow boxes (before you get to the tracks) to be stamped.

At the train station, you will have to figure out which track your train departs from (track = binario in Italian). In all likelihood you'll have to go down a flight of stairs, cross under the tracks, and then go up the stairs on the other side, so be prepared.

Someone mentioned in a thread recently that Civitavecchia station was installing elevators, which would be nice. But I haven't seen it confirmed.

If your hotel is near the Colosseum, I'm not sure what would make more sense for you -- to get off at Termini and then take a taxi to your hotel or take the metro to the Colosseo stop and then walk. Or possibly to get off the train at Ostiense station (before arriving at Termini) and transferring to the metro to Colosseo there. The latter might save a bit of time and possibly a bit of walking if you take the regional train (which stops on one of the auxiliary tracks at Termini, necessitating a loooong walk to the front of the station where the metro and taxis are located.)

Thank you! I pulled up a map of the trains/metro in Rome to get my bearings, and see that the Ostiense stop with a switch to the Metro, or maybe just a taxi from there is our best bet.

We are staying at a guest house ( Via Cavour 325 ) and Colosseo and Cavour stops look to be about the same distance walking.

If we were to take the commuter train from the port, does that cover the train to Ostiense and metro to Colosseo? Or do I need to purchase a separate Metro ticket?

• 7 months later...

I want to thank all of you for the info on the Port to Rome train. My friends and I are taking the Jewel of the Seas May 2019 and I'm researching all the travel options from the airport to Rome AND from Rome to Civitavecchia (and return). The Cruise Critic boards really rock!

• 1 month later...

Great info from Cruisemom re detailed instructions getting off the ship and taking two busses to the train station. Sounds a little intimidating moving luggage across the train station. If we do take the train what is the best way to get to the hotel near the Pantheon? Are there taxis outside the train station? 

Any suggestions for getting a car (what kind and where picked up) from the port to the hotel instead of taking the train? Do cabs run from the port into Rome? Maybe I should talk to the hotel for suggestions but am interested in what has worked for others. 

Thanks. 

5 hours ago, Kittie Ladie said:

Great info from Cruisemom re detailed instructions getting off the ship and taking two busses to the train station. Sounds a little intimidating moving luggage across the train station. If we do take the train what is the best way to get to the hotel near the Pantheon? Are there taxis outside the train station? 

Any suggestions for getting a car (what kind and where picked up) from the port to the hotel instead of taking the train? Do cabs run from the port into Rome? Maybe I should talk to the hotel for suggestions but am interested in what has worked for others. 

Thanks. 

You can arrange for a shared shuttle for as little as 70 euro per couple from Civitavecchia to your Rome hotel. I've used romashuttle.com for this.

I used to always use the train (and yes, there are cabs available at the main station, Termini, in Rome) but since they changed the access to the port in Civi a few years ago and increased the hassle factor, I think it's worth it to arrange transport rather than do this with luggage. (I'd still use the train on a port day, e.g., to get to Rome and back without luggage).

Great info above.  I've been researching the train options from Trastevere area of Rome to Civi.  There are tons of trains, but since we're going on the Sunday after Christmas, I'm thinking maybe I should reserve a seat.  I'm not going to be close to Termini, so if I got on at Trastevere, I might not get a seat.  I would love a Frecca (Freccia?) train but they apparently don't start running the day I need it until noon, and I'd like to get to Civi earlier.  It also appears that the shuttle from the Civi station to Largo della Pace doesn't run for a couple hours around lunch time, so we'd have to take a taxi instead - not a game changer, but still something to think about.  Anyway, I found that the Freccia trains are not necessarily faster than other options, although obviously it depends upon the itinerary and train.  I finally (tentatively) settled on taking an Intercity train from Ostiense, with seat reservations that leaves at a decent time and takes 46 minutes to Civi.  I'll have to take a taxi to Ostiense, but according to Taxifarefinder, the price with 10% tip and 2 large bags on a Sunday shouldn't be bad.  It helps to think outside the box.