All Ama cruisers!!! Share expierences and ideas

Crusin-Suzan

21 minutes ago, Lois R said:

I sailed on AMAStella back in 2016 and loved it.  I was just on Uniworld and loved it too.  I am now looking to AMA again.

Prices for Uniworld for the spring are very high and I found a cruise with AMA on the Douro...…..new ship too. Ama Douro......

I will be in Barcelona and will fly to Lisbon for 3 nights pre-cruise before sailing. Hoping it all comes together:classic_biggrin:

Great choice!  The AmaDouro is a beautiful ship. I always love to read about the Douro because there was very little information about it when we were planning our cruise- probably because it is a smaller ship on a smaller river. (As it turns out, this is one of the reasons why we ended up enjoying it so much. We got to know most everyone sailing and we made real friends that we keep in touch with). We sailed AmaDouro in June and we can't wait to do another! The Lisbon precruise was a great addition and we almost didn't do it but were so happy that we did. Happy to answer any questions! 

5 minutes ago, cazbg said:

Great choice!  The AmaDouro is a beautiful ship. I always love to read about the Douro because there was very little information about it when we were planning our cruise- probably because it is a smaller ship on a smaller river. (As it turns out, this is one of the reasons why we ended up enjoying it so much. We got to know most everyone sailing and we made real friends that we keep in touch with). We sailed AmaDouro in June and we can't wait to do another! The Lisbon precruise was a great addition and we almost didn't do it but were so happy that we did. Happy to answer any questions! 

Hi, thanks for the reply:classic_smile:. I called AMA today and was told they had ONE cabin left for the date I want...….they are

holding it for me!   Their offices are in Calif and the rep who will be helping me was on her way out the door LOL....she emailed me and said she would call me Monday.

Were you pleased with the tours, food and were the other guests pretty friendly?

• Like 1

Just now, Lois R said:

Hi, thanks for the reply:classic_smile:. I called AMA today and was told they had ONE cabin left for the date I want...….they are

holding it for me!   Their offices are in Calif and the rep who will be helping me was on her way out the door LOL....she

emailed me and said she would call me Monday.  Were you pleased with tours and food?

We were very happy with the tours and the food- lunch was our favorite!  Regional foods which we loved trying, a pasta option each day, fresh soups and breads, always fruit and cheese and salads. And a wonderful dessert bar. (Don't miss the fresh ice cream each day. OH MY! I miss it!)  Of course the sit down dinner each night had several choices, as well.  We were never hungry! 🙂 

The tours were very interesting. If you do a search on here, there is a wonderful trip report done by a member with each day/tour detailed. I found it to be most helpful when planning.  

I loved our AMA rep and she was very helpful at every stage of planning! 

Thanks for the reply:classic_biggrin:.  I am celebrating my upcoming retirement and this is  part of it LOL...….I am

retiring at the end of the year. I have a Caribbean cruise booked for January and then will probably take another

cruise in March for my birthday.  THEN...I have a TA crossing booked for April (16 nights)...Miami to Barcelona. Arrives on April 22nd.

The land part of the River cruise starts that same day in Lisbon.....so, I would fly from

Barcelona to Lisbon (looks like it is only an hour flight and cheap!). 

Ok...I am putting my deposit down on the Douro cruise:classic_smile: And I must say, the gal at AMA was extremely nice too.

And their offices are near the fires in California...….sending all my best to those in that literal crossfire:classic_sad:

On ‎10‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 11:57 AM, 2nucruisers said:

Good morning, I am now in the process of getting from Barcelona to Lisbon:classic_biggrin:.  I have a cruise booked before this

River cruise. It is a TA crossing that ends in Barcelona. Looks like TAP has multiple flights to Lisbon and prices are

very good.  There is a 10:30am flight and then another one at 12:50. Think I will take that 2nd flight and when I

spoke with AMA, she said they have a transfer from the airport to the hotel.

Good morning...…well, the first 8 are all sea days. Leaves Ft. Lauderdale on April 6th. The first

port is in Funchal, Portugal.  Then another sea day. Then in  Sevillle for 2 days, then Gilbrater, Malaga and

then another sea day. Then the next day is arriving in Barcelona.  16 nights.

8 hours ago, AF-1 said:

My appology;  You are correct I did add an extra r to your name.  Still have a great cruise

Apology accepted:classic_biggrin:......better than some names I have been called LOL...…...

I have part of my trip booked...got my flight from Barcelona to Lisbon taken care of....now I have to get from

Porto to Madrid post cruise.  I will look at the train and air. I am staying in Madrid for 2 days so also need to find

a hotel too!

• 1 month later...

Hello! I am planning a first river cruise for my mom and myself in late April/early May 2020. We are considering several itineraries and wonder if it is best to limit the number of river changes? I have read some reviews that discuss the noise and motion problems with going through various locks and being unable to dock and wonder if sticking with one  or two rivers the first time is best. We are considering Magnificent Europe (four rivers, Amsterdam to Budapest), Captivating Rhine (only the Rhine, Amsterdam to Basel). As a first time river cruiser, I really do not have a good feel for how long you spend in each port. The ocean cruise itineraries are very specific and we choose them based on longer port times and love at least a couple evenings on land to enjoy the nightlife.  Perhaps river cruises cannot specify in advance? Thx for any help.

We have been on two AMA river cruises and didn't have any issues with noise or any motion going through the locks.  The first night after departure, we did notice a bit of noise because it was a new sound for us, but after that nothing.  On the Medieval Treasures cruise we did we stay overnight and it was in Rudesheim and we had a wine tasting after supper and then had the morning to explore the town.  In some cases we sailed during the night but anywhere there was great scenery we would sail in the daytime sometimes arriving at noon or 2:30 or 3:00.  It really depends on your itinerary.   On the Danube from Vilshofen to Budapest, we had a few overnights.  I don't think you can really tell from the brochures how long the stays are in each port.  Perhaps others on this thread may have their itinerary guides provided from AMA for the particular cruise you have picked and can guide you on the stops and how much time you have in each port. 

• Like 1

We just did Colors of Provence on AmaCello.    I found the locks kind of neat.   Never noticed any problems.   Sometimes you only knew it because you looked out the window and saw a slimy wall there.     I actually stood next to the Captain as he maneuvered into one of them.    These ships are pretty amazing to watch being operated into such a tight space.    Docking was never a problem on the Rhone for us.    Sometimes you'd be tied up abreast another ship so you'd either walk through their lobby area to get to shore or they'd walk through yours.    The oddest one was when we were tied up next to a ship of a different size.   We ended up having to cross a gangway onto their sundeck and then down the stairs, but it was only a minor inconvenience.

There's two things you need to know about the locks:   they warn you not to touch the walls.   That's good advice.   The other is if you are out on the deck some of the locks have overhead things that drip water on you, so keep your eyes out.

As other's have pointed out Ama's itinerary was pretty detailed.   We got a big pouch of information (along with our luggage tags) on everything including our options for shore excursions shortly before the departure.

Given the size of the boats, we were very close to the crew.   We got to talk to the captain and first mate a lot as well as the chef and many of the other crew.

We did the three-days-in-Paris pretour with the same cruise director and that was well arranged as well.

• Like 1

Thx so much for your reply. We did look at a couple cruises also that started in Paris and that is very inviting. My mom has not been there and I know she would love it. We looked at Viking before deciding on AMA and although they offer a pre-cruise in Paris, they do not dock there and I understand it is a long bus ride to the ship. Not a fan of a bunch of time on a motor coach! Thx again, M

Our cruise left from Lyon.   They bused us from the hotel to the TGV and then from there to the boat.   We put our bags outside the hotel room at Breakfast in Paris and they were in our cabins when we got in.

We had first class tickets on the TGV and that was pretty cool except for the delay for an animal or something on the tracks about half way through.   I think that's what the announcement said, my French is a bit rusty.

We are booking the Captivating Rhine from Amsterdam to Basel at the end of April. Our travel agent suggested a single river cruise might be best for a first time and the Rhine does not have water level problems like some others. The AmaMora and AmaKristina disembark 4/27 and 4/28 so there are nice cabin options on these sister ships. Thx for the suggestions posted here. We checked a lot of different river cruise lines and decided on Ama for the all-inclusiveness and true balconies. I'll be following this thread! 

We did AmaKristina Amsterdam to Basel and it hooked us on the company and river cruising.  Amazing experience you will love it.  We heard a bit of noise the first night when he was pushing hard up river to get us in the right spot to see castle gorge during the right time of day but other than that it was crazy smooth and quiet the entire trip.

• Like 1

I've been on the AmaKristina twice this year. Just finished the Rhine in November.  I highly recommend that ship.  Absolutely an outstanding crew and named after one of Ama owners.  It is very new and the balcony cabins are almost all twin balconies.  The Rhine gorge is gorgeous, so be sure you get up early enough that morning.....don't want to miss any castles!!   Captain Jan is such a pro we never once bumped against the locks!  All Ama crews are wonderful but I believe these are the creme de la creme!

Hope you enjoy your cruise!

• 2 weeks later...

We have booked the Ama Kristina (Rhine River) for August with pre cruise in Amsterdam and post cruise in Lucerne and Zurich.  We cannot wait.  This will be our first river cruise; we have just about cruised all the itineraries of Princess and we thought we would try something different.  Last year while in Paris, we met a pre cruise group and tour guide from Ama.  She was so nice talking to us about Ama and their itineraries.  Getting really excited about this trip!

On 12/16/2019 at 2:21 PM, SkygirlSue said:

I've been on the AmaKristina twice this year. Just finished the Rhine in November.  I highly recommend that ship.  Absolutely an outstanding crew and named after one of Ama owners.  It is very new and the balcony cabins are almost all twin balconies.  The Rhine gorge is gorgeous, so be sure you get up early enough that morning.....don't want to miss any castles!!   Captain Jan is such a pro we never once bumped against the locks!  All Ama crews are wonderful but I believe these are the creme de la creme!

Hope you enjoy your cruise!

Sue, did you do the post-cruise package in Lucerne & Zurich.  We're trying to decide whether to do that or arrange our own thing.  Most concerned about the hotels.  Thanks.

41 minutes ago, JohninAult said:

Sue, did you do the post-cruise package in Lucerne & Zurich.  We're trying to decide whether to do that or arrange our own thing.  Most concerned about the hotels.  Thanks.

We have been on 5 rivers with AMA and never disappointed in their hotels.  We are planning Medieval Treasures fall 2021 and will use their hotels in Switzerland and Prague. Use to book our own but are happy with their selections.  You can go less $$ on your own but at this point in our lives just point me in the right direction and I'm there.   Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1