All Ama cruisers!!! Share expierences and ideas

Crusin-Suzan

1 hour ago, 2islandhoppers said:

Only 3 weeks to go for us.  I've booked the hotel in Basel and in Frankfurt, and the train from Wasserbillig to Frankfurt.  I may have to take the train ticket to my German speaking friend to translate, 'tho.

Here is a link to loco2.com help on translating German train tickets

https://help.loco2.com/article/329-understanding-your-deutsche-bahn-ticket

I used their  help in translating a Spanish train ticket, and passed my printout to fellow English speaking passengers who had more train travel when I was done 

I did all that.  Check-in complete, cruise paid for............so I called AMA and gentleman said it would be around 60 days out before I could see them.  I am a bit confused, as this is our 4th trip with AMA, and I always thought we saw them earlier.  Oh well, guess I will wait.

This question is for people who have cruised on AMA before.  We are not cruising till next April, when we are doing Tulip Time. Does my husband need a suit? Any other tips or suggestions if you've done this particular cruise would also be appreciated. I've been reading through the 20 pages here. Thanks!

37 minutes ago, musiclovingmom said:

This question is for people who have cruised on AMA before.  We are not cruising till next April, when we are doing Tulip Time. Does my husband need a suit? Any other tips or suggestions if you've done this particular cruise would also be appreciated. I've been reading through the 20 pages here. Thanks!

Definitely not a suit. If he wants to bring a sports jacket that would be suitable.  However, our Duoro cruise last year on Captains night a group of men from California wore shorts, tee shirts and flip flops that night.  Actually now that I think of it, they had the same attire each evening.  So, I guess AMA has relaxed on their dress code?  My husband did bring a jacket but only wore it on the Captains night.  Otherwise he wore a collared polo shirt and docker style slacks. Needless to say, neither of us were happy campers.  We did approach, along with many other guests, the dining manager, Igor, and he just shrugged his shoulders stating he did not want to "upset" those guests.  Guess he didn't care about the rest of the ship passengers.  I must say all our other cruises with AMA were not like that. Most men were in docker style pants, polo/dress shirt and jacket. Some with ties, some without. Sorry I can't help on other tips as Tulip Time is still on our bucket list.  Just not enough time to do them all!!  Enjoy!!

• Like 1

On 9/4/2019 at 1:51 PM, gmaonboard4 said:

I did all that.  Check-in complete, cruise paid for............so I called AMA and gentleman said it would be around 60 days out before I could see them.  I am a bit confused, as this is our 4th trip with AMA, and I always thought we saw them earlier.  Oh well, guess I will wait.

Odd as all our AMA trips, once we paid in full, we were able to view everything.  Things changed?

2 hours ago, musiclovingmom said:

Definitely no suit. At most a sports jacket, but if he prefers a sweater over a collared shirt that would be fine.

Weather can be iffy at that time of year. I did a Uniworld tulip time trip in 2010 in the second half of April, from Antwerp to Amsterdam. At the first part of the trip, I was wearing everything I owned, fleece, scarf, earmuffs and gloves because it was quite chilly. By the end, I was very comfortable during the day in shirt sleeves (generally 3/4 length sleeves). Evenings are cooler. We went to Keukenhof on April 28th (I think) and I started with a light windbreaker over my jersey, but as the day warmed up I took it off and enjoyed the sun.

Don't forget that you might also need rain gear at that time of year.

Edited by gnome12

On 9/4/2019 at 10:51 AM, gmaonboard4 said:

We were on an AMA trip to south of France and we got to do excursions about 3 months before

Edited by Bowler Lady
Correction

On 9/2/2019 at 7:36 PM, gnome12 said:

Here is a link to loco2.com help on translating German train tickets

https://help.loco2.com/article/329-understanding-your-deutsche-bahn-ticket

I used their  help in translating a Spanish train ticket, and passed my printout to fellow English speaking passengers who had more train travel when I was done 

Loco 2 also has a great app for iPhone.  You can buy your tickets directly from loco2, and can even buy on the app and use an electronic ticket if the train company allows it.  The app is super helpful when you are on a day trip to be able to see what your travel options are on the fly.  We have used the site/app in several countries and found it very reliable.

We are doing the Oct 31 cruise on the Ama Cello, and we have purchased the before and after packages. I did check in for the cruise portion on line last night. I have not figured out how to check in for the before portion. Will I get instructions about that?

We are doing the AmaSerena cruise Amsterdam to Basel, Sept 29th - October 6th. We have a flight back home from Zurich on Oct. 6th noon . We are a party of 4, Is anyone doing this cruise, interested in sharing a ride to Zurich airport , leaving the ship 08:30 ?

Please e-mail me : annette@013.net

3 hours ago, SkygirlSue said:

You don't need to decide......each day, director will talk about next day's excursions. And you can't sign up for bike tours until you are onboard.  Almost all excursions are always available. Except for the special ones that charge a fee.  

Thanks, we are repeat AMA cruisers and understand the process.... I was just looking for someone who might have personal experience with these tours.

On 9/18/2019 at 9:51 AM, Anngid said:

We are doing the AmaSerena cruise Amsterdam to Basel, Sept 29th - October 6th. We have a flight back home from Zurich on Oct. 6th noon . We are a party of 4, Is anyone doing this cruise, interested in sharing a ride to Zurich airport , leaving the ship 08:30 ?

Please e-mail me : annette@013.net

Have you looked at the train as an option?  We rode the train from Zurich to Lucerne and then to Basel.  It was very simple.  The train station is in the lower floor of the Zurich airport.

On 9/18/2019 at 4:18 PM, aly7859 said:

Thanks, we are repeat AMA cruisers and understand the process.... I was just looking for someone who might have personal experience with these tours.

I'd also love to hear more about Ama excursions, especially for the Europes's Rivers and Castles itinerary.  While it is nice to know there is no need to book excursions in advance, we might choose to go off on our own if the excursions don't get good reviews.  That would require some advance planning.  I'd love to be able hear reviews of the excursions that will be offered by Ama if anyone wants to share their experience, please.  

TIA

On 9/9/2019 at 2:15 PM, musiclovingmom said:

No for the cruise. Depending on the weather he might want a jacket. Just finished our 3rd AMA only a few gentlemen wore blazers all other were in sport shirts/dress shirts/ polo shirts.

Have a great trip

Carole

We did the Rhine cruise a couple weeks ago on AMA Serena, first river cruise and best trip ever. Here is an odd question. The last night we were invited to dine with captain at his table and I forgot to ask cruise manager or anyone else......why us?! Anyone know how they select the 3 couples? 

leaving tomorrow to get on AmaDante thursday out of Basel.  so excited!  our tour is called Medieval Treasures. I'm turning 60 tomorrow and we are usually pretty athletic, but I am still nursing a torn hamstring from April so I will be doing the gentler walks.

most people advise taking trains and public transportation from the airport into Basel but with an injury toting luggage I'm not sure that is a good idea.  I think the cost of a cab will be worth it to try to save my walking ability for tours.

On ‎8‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 2:43 AM, 2islandhoppers said:

SuzCruise, we embark from Nuremberg on October 3.  We are actually taking the Medieval Treasures from Basel to Nuremberg on Sept26 on the Ama Dante, and then doing the back-to-back to Luxembourg.

We are on the first part of your cruise!  staying in Basel on Sept 25 then meandering onto the ship Thursday.

Assuming all AMA ship cabins have charging plugs; can anyone tell me how many charging plugs are in cabin, is there one by each side of the bed; and are there any usb charging ports?  I have int'l charging plugs I will be bringing on my trip; mine has two usb and one reg terminal.  Trying to figure out how many I will need to bring based on what's avail in each cabin.  And yes even though I am on a cruise I stay plugged in.  I will be charging; not necessarily in order, two ipads, two iphones,two cameras, one kindle, and one surface tablet.  I run a family blog with pictures for all my family who can not travel.  They travel on cruises thru my blogs.  Thanks

22 hours ago, CHEVSTRISS said:

leaving tomorrow to get on AmaDante thursday out of Basel.  so excited!  our tour is called Medieval Treasures. I'm turning 60 tomorrow and we are usually pretty athletic, but I am still nursing a torn hamstring from April so I will be doing the gentler walks.

most people advise taking trains and public transportation from the airport into Basel but with an injury toting luggage I'm not sure that is a good idea.  I think the cost of a cab will be worth it to try to save my walking ability for tours.

We took a van from the train station to our hotel across the river and it was well worth it.  We were able to get the van taxi's business card and we arranged with our hotel to book him to take us to the ship.  Worked out well and was very reasonable.  We did the Medieval Treasures cruise as well and it was wonderful on the AmaDante.  Enjoy your cruise.  We stayed on the boat from Miltenburg to Wertheim and it was a lovely cruise.  We walked into the town for a very quick stop and then went back on the boat and cruised with it.  Only 20 of us onboard and it was a great afternoon and quite scenic.