Is there a duty free shop in the arrivals area before leaving the airport

janftica

we are flying Toronto to Fort Lauderdale, but we have the ship transfer picking us up so don't think they would stop at the Total Wine place before dropping us off at the ship? I was wondering if I should just buy the bottle at departure lounge in Toronto before going on the plane, then we get it as we leave the plane in FL right? I can carry it on in the dutyfree bag then to the ship. Would this work?

No, there is not. A duty free shop is one where you can purchase something just before you LEAVE a country without paying import duty because you obviously will not be using it in that country.

The duty free concept does not apply because you are leaving the airport, it applies because you are leaving the country.

we are flying Toronto to Fort Lauderdale, but we have the ship transfer picking us up so don't think they would stop at the Total Wine place before dropping us off at the ship? I was wondering if I should just buy the bottle at departure lounge in Toronto before going on the plane, then we get it as we leave the plane in FL right? I can carry it on in the dutyfree bag then to the ship. Would this work?
The ship transfer is a bus/van that holds a lot of people going to your ship and sometimes other ships docked in Port Everglades. No, they would not be able to make a stop for you to buy wine. You could buy the wine in the duty free shop in Toronto, but I can tell you, the selection is not the best, nor are the prices. You would be better off purchasing some wine on the HAL website (go to your reservation and you will see how to do this). The quality of wine and the prices are about the same as what we pay in Ontario for a similar class of wine. If you want to take only the good stuff, you could always pack it very carefully in your checked luggage. We always go to Ft. Lauderdale one or two days early, so we have plenty of time to pick up our wine before we board.

No, there is not. A duty free shop is one where you can purchase something just before you LEAVE a country without paying import duty because you obviously will not be using it in that country.

The duty free concept does not apply because you are leaving the airport, it applies because you are leaving the country.

Not always true. Many countries allow you to purchase duty free when you arrive. Tahiti is one example.

Actually at London Heathrow there is a duty free shop as you leave baggage claim in terminal 5 for international flights. Of course only for international flyers.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

In Melbourne, Australia there is a duty free store at the airport before you go through customs. You are able to buy perfume, alcohol and a few other things before you enter the country. We always buy alcohol for home when we get off our international flights. IIRC there is also one in Sydney