Unexpected NCL Charges for Travel Insurance

insighttoronto

Please note this thread is not for debating the pros and cons of travel insurance.

Has anyone else seen unexpected charges for Booksafe Travel Protection when booking with NCL? I've now had two bookings where NCL's travel protection was added without any discussion or my approval.

Today I called NCL's reservation line, put down a deposit on a specific cabin and received my confirmation PDF a couple minutes later. The PDF confirmation was marked 'no' for Book Safe Protection, however, the final amount owing was $99 higher than expected.

I'm wondering if NCL automatically adds their travel insurance to new bookings. Do you have to say you don't want NCL's travel insurance, even if the NCL representative doesn't ask if you want it?

I always purchase my own travel insurance, so I'm going to repeat this thread is not about the benefits of travel insurance, rather it is about unexpected charges being applied without consultation.

I hope my experience is an isolated situation and that's it simply human error. :confused:

Did you get any of the free perks? Could that $99 been the tax or gratuity on one of the perks?

I selected free shore excursions as my perk, which has no additional tax or gratuity. When I called NCL back, I spoke with a different customer service rep who confirmed there was a charge for book safe travel protection.

I selected free shore excursions as my perk, which has no additional tax or gratuity. When I called NCL back, I spoke with a different customer service rep who confirmed there was a charge for book safe travel protection.

I've always SEEN the charge but I don't pay the charge... I just call and politely ask my PCC or other agent if he's not available, to please remove the charge for the travel protection from my account. .. always done no worries... just call.

I've always SEEN the charge but I don't pay the charge... I just call and politely ask my PCC or other agent if he's not available, to please remove the charge for the travel protection from my account. .. always done no worries... just call.

I called NCL back politely regarding the charges which were quickly removed in both cases without issue. Canadians are known for it is their unusual level of politeness and for apologizing when a situation is not their fault. Oddly enough when I called NCL back I said "I apologize but I think I've found a discrepancy in my confirmation email".

It was good for NCL to remove the charges and accept it as a matter of human error. If this happens again for the third time, then I'm going to have to ask if NCL agents have to 'uncheck' the option to remove travel insurance vs checking the option to add travel insurance.

I think it is an automatic thing to add it to our cruises (at least for Canadians) but, I'd always requested it be removed and it wasn't even added the last couple of cruises my late DH and I took; however, since I've started cruising solo, I've noticed it's been added again automatically so suspect it may have been "forgotten" by the auto system that I don't need it for my cruises. I have an extended medical coverage that covers travel protection and even told my PCC about it. I would have been an additional $209 charge and that's almost double what I pay. :rolleyes:

Guess we all need to be aware of our cruise charges to ensure we're only paying for what we need. Take care.

Cheers and safe sailing.

When I was booking my ta had to uncheck the insurance box on every single screen. Not even once but multiple times. And that was after he just about stood on his head to get me to buy it.

I get free travel insurance with my credit card and I told him that once I gave him the go ahead. I still had to ask pointed questions to be clear about his sales pitches and repeat several times I didn’t need the insurance.

It’s highly profitable so that’s why they do everything possible to get you to buy it.

Did you get any of the free perks? Could that $99 been the tax or gratuity on one of the perks?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think you may have hit the nail on the head. When I am pricing a cruise I pick my perks and see what the difference is with the "free" perks and without. Some don't add anything but others like the UBP do.

Before we gave up on using NCLs personal cruise consultants, they’d try to sneak their trip insurance on bookings.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Our NCL PCC always asks if we want the insurance. I say No, and it is not charged on the booking.

There are a number of high-end credit cards that offer free trip insurance. There is Chase Sapphire Reserve (up to $10k/person/yr) and Aadvantage Elite Mastercard (up to $6k/person/yr). Each has a $450 annual fee. Chase gives a $300/yr travel credit so its net cost is $150/yr, which is dirt cheap just for the value of the trip insurance, plus it gives triple points for travel spend, and gives about a 33% discount on travel when paying with points. DH and I just bought $1320 of airfare for 84,000 points (approx). You can also use the card to pay for cruises, so if you have enough points, your cruise fare is discounted.

The Aadvantage mastercard gives you AA miles AND an Admirals Club membership, plus the $6k coverage.

of the two, the Chase card is much better, but if you have value for Admirals Club, then the AA card is worthwhile.

A bit of a digression, but not too much. I think it's an excellent deal because of the trip insurance, but of course, before you rely on it instead of buying additional like you would ordinarily, have them send you the details of the coverage and make sure you know what you are getting and how it compares with the extra cost policies.

Our NCL PCC always asks if we want the insurance. I say No, and it is not charged on the booking.

This is exactly my experience. They ask - I say no. It has never been charged.

I would get a new PCC if this started happening automatically.

I'm not positive but thought it was mandatory (at least a few years back) for travel insurance to be added when dealing with a company licensed in Florida and then it is up to the customer to say they do not want.

I have a question about this travel insurance and I hope someone out there can help me as we are new to cruising.. On our first NCL cruise to Alaska, we did not have the insurance.. However, we befriended another couple as soon as we were on this ship as this was the first cruise for both of us. Horribly, the wife died on the second day of our cruise and of course we adopted the gentleman for the remainder of the cruise as he was devastated. He told us NCL had drained his account of $8,000 due to expenses and he had his lawyer working on it..this scared me and we are leaving on a Panama Canal cruise in April this year and a TA next year and with my husband being 82, I was told that the travel insurance would cover any helicopter medivac issues and for the on board doctor.. I am hoping this is true as I have added it to our cruises and hope I do not find myself paying for coverage that will not cover these things.. We have medical insurance that does cover us internationally also.. Any advice? Thank you

Please note this thread is not for debating the pros and cons of travel insurance.

Has anyone else seen unexpected charges for Booksafe Travel Protection when booking with NCL? I've now had two bookings where NCL's travel protection was added without any discussion or my approval.

Today I called NCL's reservation line, put down a deposit on a specific cabin and received my confirmation PDF a couple minutes later. The PDF confirmation was marked 'no' for Book Safe Protection, however, the final amount owing was $99 higher than expected.

I'm wondering if NCL automatically adds their travel insurance to new bookings. Do you have to say you don't want NCL's travel insurance, even if the NCL representative doesn't ask if you want it?

I always purchase my own travel insurance, so I'm going to repeat this thread is not about the benefits of travel insurance, rather it is about unexpected charges being applied without consultation.

I hope my experience is an isolated situation and that's it simply human error. :confused:

Yes. Last year it was widely discussed that the default is to add insurance. You have to ask not to include it.

Pretty standard to happen. Just call them back and tell them to take it off. You will not be charged. You would be surprised how many people don't notice it.

I have a question about this travel insurance and I hope someone out there can help me as we are new to cruising.. On our first NCL cruise to Alaska, we did not have the insurance.. However, we befriended another couple as soon as we were on this ship as this was the first cruise for both of us. Horribly, the wife died on the second day of our cruise and of course we adopted the gentleman for the remainder of the cruise as he was devastated. He told us NCL had drained his account of $8,000 due to expenses and he had his lawyer working on it..this scared me and we are leaving on a Panama Canal cruise in April this year and a TA next year and with my husband being 82, I was told that the travel insurance would cover any helicopter medivac issues and for the on board doctor.. I am hoping this is true as I have added it to our cruises and hope I do not find myself paying for coverage that will not cover these things.. We have medical insurance that does cover us internationally also.. Any advice? Thank you

You need to read your policy. Call whoever you bought it from and ask them for a link (or to snail mail you) the documentation about what is and isn't covered, and pay special attention to "pre-existing conditions". AFTER you have read it, papers in hand, call the insurance company and ask them about your specific situation and your questions, and be prepared to refer back to the printout. Remember that what's in writing is what matters. If a rep contradicts what's written in the policy, the rep is wrong and what's written is right.

Every policy is different. Don't assume that just because my policy covers something, yours will also cover it.

You should definitely share the info about what happened on that past cruise and ask the rep what coverage you have for something so tragic. Ask about medivac and also what YOU have to do to be sure you ARE covered. They may require you to call a specific # and get authorization, for example. Assume zero except when you need them to pay (and I hope you won't) you will have to do things their way or they may be able to not pay, or at least give you a hard time.

Having said the above, I had to use my trip insurance a few years ago. My hip went bad between the time I booked a cruise and a year later, cruise date. I thought I could stretch it until after the cruise but it was really bad and doctor told me I needed a hip replacement asap AFTER final payment date. We had laid out over $6k for the cruise, etc. and the trip insurance did pay. I had to provide a doctor's statement, a letter from the travel agency showing I had cancelled and what the cancellation fee was (100% of the cruise fare), a letter from the hotel, etc, etc - but they paid.