Bedside Reading Light and Alarm Clock

Floridiana

It's been so long on a -dam ship that I forgot: Does the MS Amsterdam have an adjustable reading light and an alarm clock next to the bed? And also: Is there a night light or do you bring your own? And if you bring your own, what exactly is it?

Thank you. I'll have to bring an alarm clock. The lack of a reading light is annoying because I still use books in addition to my kindle.

I vaguely remember that some people bring battery operated tea lights as a night light? The light under the bathroom door shines into the cabin?

We use battery operated tea lights for a night light in the bathroom. I thought there were reading lights in all staterooms (not necessarily adjustable, though). I'm sure we had reading lights by the bed when we were on the Amsterdam.

I have used my smartphone as an alarm clock but one can also enter a wake up call through the telephone.

Thank you. I'll have to bring an alarm clock. The lack of a reading light is annoying because I still use books in addition to my kindle.

I vaguely remember that some people bring battery operated tea lights as a night light? The light under the bathroom door shines into the cabin?

The bathroom light is very bright if you have to use the facilities at night. We just bring a couple of night lights.

Amsterdam has adjustable reading lights on each side of the queen bed, or if configured as twin beds the light will be behind your head, more centered, so that could interfere if you prop yourself up on pillows to read. These are the lights that the room steward leave on at nighttime turn-down.

The lights are horizontal brass cylinders attached to the "headboard" wall, and they adjust by rolling the cylinder so that the light points up or down or somewhere in between. They worked fine for me reading books in bed at night for the queen bed configuration.

On Amsterdam we have used a small low wattage plug-in night light in the bathroom shaver outlet, but I was surprised that it didn't work on some other ships because the outlet didn't stay on when the bathroom light was turned off.

We always bring two travel clocks, one on each nightstand. m--

You can get "gooseneck" battery powered reading lights for cheap...most have a clamp to attach them to a desk or the book itself! Mine has 3 different light levels. Look for them in a hardware store or something like that!

These are my favorites! Use them as reading lights, flashlights, etc. Though I've never had trouble reading in bed with the lights by the bed provided by Hal in multiple ships.....