Looking for Cuban experiences from folks cruising there in the past few months

Ken the cruiser

We booked B2B Cuba cruises on the Sirena about a year ago as going on a 7 day cruise is just too short for us anymore and we felt going around twice would give us plenty of opportunities to see what Cuba has to offer. We have booked all of our excursions with O as we got a great deal on their unlimited package and have always had a fun on their excursions. We are interested in hearing experiences from those that have recently completed the cruise on the Sirena as ours sets sail in early May.

For example on the ship did O have lectures highlighting the cities and surrounding areas to be visited? Off ship, how were the O excursions and which ones did you like best? Also, can we tip the tour guides with US dollars or do we need to purchase some CUCs when we arrive in Cuba? If so, should we pick up some Euros before we leave the US as we've heard there was a 10% additional charge if you want to exchange US dollars for CUCs?

Any thoughts and experiences will be greatly appreciated.

If Sandy Cares is the guest speaker, you’ll get some great info on Cuba. We did Cuba in November, and really enjoyed her talks.

You can tip the guides in dollars. If you plan get CUCs, buying them with Euros is a good idea.

One of our favorite O tours was the Tropicana Caberet. Great seats and a fantastic show.

From Cienfuego we did the Colonial Trinidad tour. The drive through the countryside was really nice, and Trinidad is a lovely city. A steel drum band gave a great performance. Ever heard Ave Maria on steel drums?!

One of our tours in Santiago was called Trova Night. We did not care for the musical part of the evening. We were in a very crowded room with very loud music. ($2 rum, though)

Also in Santiago, we did the El Cobre tour, and really enjoyed it. The fortress is beautiful. The tour included an excellent choir performance.

We booked B2B Cuba cruises on the Sirena about a year ago as going on a 7 day cruise is just too short for us anymore and we felt going around twice would give us plenty of opportunities to see what Cuba has to offer. We have booked all of our excursions with O as we got a great deal on their unlimited package and have always had a fun on their excursions. We are interested in hearing experiences from those that have recently completed the cruise on the Sirena as ours sets sail in early May.

For example on the ship did O have lectures highlighting the cities and surrounding areas to be visited? Off ship, how were the O excursions and which ones did you like best? Also, can we tip the tour guides with US dollars or do we need to purchase some CUCs when we arrive in Cuba? If so, should we pick up some Euros before we leave the US as we've heard there was a 10% additional charge if you want to exchange US dollars for CUCs?

Any thoughts and experiences will be greatly appreciated.

I was on the Insignia to Cuba in December, 2017 but I doubt if the experience in Cuba will be different on the Sirena.

I like your idea of doing a Cuba B2B because I loved it there and would have liked more time. We did 2 days plus an overnight in Havana, 1 day in Cienfuegos (my favorite city) and 1 day in Santiago de Cuba.

We did 1 ship tour (to the Melia Cohiba Hotel to see the famous Buena Vista Social Club show; it was great!) We took 2 private tours and spent 2 days wandering on our own.

We had a good lecturer, Sandy Cares, who's information was very helpful.

We got Canadian dollars (no fee) and used them to avoid the 10% penalty. In Cuba we exchanged money for CUC's because locals rarely want to take foreign money.....would you want to be paid in a foreign currency??

Do not be afraid because of some of the "advice" that a few CC posters write! Most of them haven't even been to Cuba.

I suggest you read the Cuba board....LOTS of info (although not always accurate) mostly written by people who have been there.

Wishing you a wonderful cruise!!

• 1 month later...
If Sandy Cares is the guest speaker, you’ll get some great info on Cuba. We did Cuba in November, and really enjoyed her talks.

You can tip the guides in dollars. If you plan get CUCs, buying them with Euros is a good idea.

One of our favorite O tours was the Tropicana Caberet. Great seats and a fantastic show.

From Cienfuego we did the Colonial Trinidad tour. The drive through the countryside was really nice, and Trinidad is a lovely city. A steel drum band gave a great performance. Ever heard Ave Maria on steel drums?!

One of our tours in Santiago was called Trova Night. We did not care for the musical part of the evening. We were in a very crowded room with very loud music. ($2 rum, though)

Also in Santiago, we did the El Cobre tour, and really enjoyed it. The fortress is beautiful. The tour included an excellent choir performance.

I know you wrote this awhile ago, but I was just wondering, we are going in just a few weeks and I have been trying to get tickets for the Tropicana from here. I am finding it almost impossible. Did you get your tickets independently? If so, do you remember how? Thanks in advance.

If so, should we pick up some Euros before we leave the US as we've heard there was a 10% additional charge if you want to exchange US dollars for CUCs?

My general answer to your question is that if you already have Euros left over from an earlier trip, definitely bring them with you to Cuba. If you do not, the answer is not so straightforward.

Are you a high-level bank customer so you are able to do money exchanges without charges? If not, what will your costs be?

How close/convenient is a bank that will be able to get Euros for you? If an appropriate bank isn't close or convenient, is the disruption something you're willing to/unwilling to live with?

I know the 10% surcharge on US money in Cuba feels irritating, but each person will have a different threshold where the cost -- time, effort, and money -- makes it not worthwhile to exchange USD to Euros.

I bought Euros from a friend at par..try to find someone that has been in or is going to Europe to buy them from

There is nothing to be afraid of in Cuba ..it was a wonderful experience..

Jancruz1

My general answer to your question is that if you already have Euros left over from an earlier trip, definitely bring them with you to Cuba. If you do not, the answer is not so straightforward.

Are you a high-level bank customer so you are able to do money exchanges without charges? If not, what will your costs be?

How close/convenient is a bank that will be able to get Euros for you? If an appropriate bank isn't close or convenient, is the disruption something you're willing to/unwilling to live with?

I know the 10% surcharge on US money in Cuba feels irritating, but each person will have a different threshold where the cost -- time, effort, and money -- makes it not worthwhile to exchange USD to Euros.

Thanks! We are in the process of buying some Euros now. Since we have 2 upcoming cruises to Europe this year, we figured it would be easier to buy enough for both the Cuba and Baltic cruises and then whatever is left over, we'll spend on the Med cruise.