Indoor space for teens to play chess on Royal

hickmald

We're sailing on the Royal Princess this summer, and while the boys (15 and 13) are excited, they did ask one question I couldn't answer.

They love going up to the Exploration Café/Library on HAL ships to play on the chess boards there, and often meet up with other teens and spend a couple of hours playing chess and visiting outside of the cabin.

Is there anywhere on the Royal with chess boards where they will be able to go? Or, if we bring a chess board with us, what lounges/indoor spaces would they be able to go to play during the day? (We'll be on the British Isles itinerary, so I don't want to depend on them being able to play on the Lido deck everyday)

Thanks in advance!

We're sailing on the Royal Princess this summer, and while the boys (15 and 13) are excited, they did ask one question I couldn't answer.

They love going up to the Exploration Café/Library on HAL ships to play on the chess boards there, and often meet up with other teens and spend a couple of hours playing chess and visiting outside of the cabin.

Is there anywhere on the Royal with chess boards where they will be able to go? Or, if we bring a chess board with us, what lounges/indoor spaces would they be able to go to play during the day? (We'll be on the British Isles itinerary, so I don't want to depend on them being able to play on the Lido deck everyday)

Thanks in advance!

Library/game room has tables and some games - maybe chess, but definitely bring your own just in case, Wheelhouse, seating area outside Princess Live, Atrium, Horizon Court or the covered outdoor area aft of the buffet,

Club 6 (during the day), etc... Lots of lovely places they can hang and play games...

My kids also LOVED the crows nest on HAL, and also went there daily to pick up chess games. We'll be on Regal in a few weeks, and I had the exact same question as you! My son will definitely bring his own set, but it's more fun to play other travelers than your own brother over and again! I'll try to remember to come back to this thread and let you know how the chess playing was.

My kids also LOVED the crows nest on HAL, and also went there daily to pick up chess games. We'll be on Regal in a few weeks, and I had the exact same question as you! My son will definitely bring his own set, but it's more fun to play other travelers than your own brother over and again! I'll try to remember to come back to this thread and let you know how the chess playing was.

It would be amazing to hear about your experience firsthand! We're truly blessed that our biggest concern for our teens on this trip is them finding an enjoyable spot to enjoy some chess!

• 1 month later...

OK, we are back from Regal, 7 night eastern caribbean, and I wanted to report back on the chess situation!

We found NO chess.

There were some days that the Wheelhouse Bar set out the library's board games - there were several options but we did not see a chess set at all. (To be honest we were usually on our way to something else, and a chess set MAY have been on the cart...just not obviously visible, and no one around to ask).

Figuring there would be some chess onboard, we did not bring a travel set. Not to worry, we had plenty of other things to keep us occupied all week (including a few chess apps on our phones), but I will say it was a bit of a bummer for my boys chess-wise after their HAL cruise last year and the Crows Nest!

So if it's important to your teens, tell them to bring their own set. I asked my son if maybe they had a chess set in the teen club, but he didn't notice one there either.

Thanks so much for following up, Meab! I will step up my hunt for a light, self contained, but full sized chess board to bring with us. Maybe if I can find one that is relatively unexpensive, they'll let me leave it on the cart at the end of our cruise in July so others can enjoy it too!

The lack of a "Crow's Nest" from HAL is truly the only thing I think we'll miss on this cruise - everything else about the Royal sounds amazing!

Thanks again!

hickmaid: search online for a tournament chess set. they usually come with a carrying bag, and the board is a flat mat that rolls up. the pieces fit into zipper pockets inside the bag for storage. you can find all types to suit any budget. my son and his friends like to bring theirs to chess tournaments to replay their games in between rounds!

You have absolutely no need for a chess board or set to play chess. A piece or two of paper is all you need. Oh yes a writing utensil to divide the board and to designate the pieces helps make it a bit easier to play. Desire is the mother of invention... or something like that.

From a once good player, now barely adequate player.

I bet if asked the teen club would have found one. Does Royal have the big outdoor set? My 10 year old loves playing chess as well!

According to the photo below from CC poster "land lover", the Majestic does. No such photo available for the Royal.

MJ_2017_0330_PBC_Hollywood_Conservatory_110A7443.jpg

Thanks in advance!

We are on the Royal this summer as well - British Isles leaving SHP on 6/30. Have 2 teenage boys that both love chess...are you on that sailing???? I know they would love to play onboard. They were always out playing with the big lawn set on the Carnival Sunshine. (Its a shame the Royal doesn't have one of those!)

hickmaid: search online for a tournament chess set. they usually come with a carrying bag, and the board is a flat mat that rolls up. the pieces fit into zipper pockets inside the bag for storage. you can find all types to suit any budget. my son and his friends like to bring theirs to chess tournaments to replay their games in between rounds!

Sounds perfect! Off to go search amazon right now :) Thanks for the suggestion!

We are on the Royal this summer as well - British Isles leaving SHP on 6/30. Have 2 teenage boys that both love chess...are you on that sailing???? I know they would love to play onboard. They were always out playing with the big lawn set on the Carnival Sunshine. (Its a shame the Royal doesn't have one of those!)

Sadly, we're on the next sailing, 07/12 out of SHP. It would have been great to know that the boys would have a couple of other boys to play with! I hope you have an amazing time regardless! We're 101 days out and counting down the days!

Sadly, we're on the next sailing, 07/12 out of SHP. It would have been great to know that the boys would have a couple of other boys to play with! I hope you have an amazing time regardless! We're 101 days out and counting down the days!

Darn!!! Have a great time! We are getting pretty excited as well..final payment due to TA this week;p