Have you sailed over 1500 days?????

rosewood jo

1500 days on the seas? Would love to see what person on cruise critic has sailed the most. I myself am over 100 days which doesn’t touch 1500-2500 days. I think it would be interesting to hear from those folks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm working on it. :evilsmile:

I have 56 cruise days. That is not important. What is important is I don't regret a single one of them. Five of the eight one week cruises were with my Mom. We saw whales frolicking in the ocean. We spent a golden afternoon watching float planes land in Alaska. Mom struggled to cut her chicken. A charming waiter reached around her to cut it for her. Mom was first startled, then delighted. Mom rummaged at the $10 jewelry table like she was digging for gold. When we got home I gave her purchases to charity, but Mom had the thrill of the hunt.

Alzheimer's disease and arthritis have ended Mom's traveling days. I would gladly spend again every dollar I spent for every trip we took. Time is fleeting.

Amazing total. So which Captains are the craziest ones around, willing to go through almost any conditions anywhere? I've heard the ones on the cargo ships are. Any truth to that??? ;p

No one is "crazy" to go through storms. Sometimes you are on a track to your next port and a storm comes at you, and you can't get out of the way, or even diverting causes worse conditions of rolling since you are taking the weather on one side or the other. Sometimes you take it. Remember that nearly every cargo ship out there is slower than a cruise ship, by a large margin. Container ships used to travel at 18 knots, but economics have made "slow steaming" the rule these days, so 14 knots is typical. Tankers usually can get up to 14 knots in good conditions.

I was on a tanker once, crossing the Atlantic, where we were hit with 3 hurricane strength storms on 3 successive nights. At night, we fought to keep stuff from breaking loose, and during the day it was bright and sunny, and we surveyed the damage and sent a repair estimate to the home office. 3 times. There was no avoiding it.

No one likes bad weather, not even the shipping companies, because of damage claims not only to the ships but the cargo as well.

I have 56 cruise days. That is not important. What is important is I don't regret a single one of them. Five of the eight one week cruises were with my Mom. We saw whales frolicking in the ocean. We spent a golden afternoon watching float planes land in Alaska. Mom struggled to cut her chicken. A charming waiter reached around her to cut it for her. Mom was first startled, then delighted. Mom rummaged at the $10 jewelry table like she was digging for gold. When we got home I gave her purchases to charity, but Mom had the thrill of the hunt.

Alzheimer's disease and arthritis have ended Mom's traveling days. I would gladly spend again every dollar I spent for every trip we took. Time is fleeting.

I love your story, auntjoy. I'm sure your Mom is still bringing you joy each and every day, as you must to her.

I have about 200 days to date, with a 12 day cruise coming up in 73 days. Nothing booked further out, as we have a 19 year old cat that really wants us home with her. Once she crosses the rainbow bridge, I'll be booking like crazy!

I still remember when I thought that 35 days was a lot :). Just about everyone we know with a lot of cruise days (1000+) falls into a similar pattern. Most of us started cruising years ago during our working lives. Like a majority of cruisers, most of us struggled to find the time (and money). I still remember leaving work a couple of hours early on a Friday afternoon, driving by DWs school (she was a teacher) to pick her up..and heading directly to BWI (about 1:30 away) so we could grab a non-stop flight to Ft Lauderdale for a Saturday cruise :). But for many of us our cruise/travel world totally changed with retirement. Personally I felt like a kid in a candy store (where the candy was cruises and travel). DW and I retired 1 day apart, and the following day we were on a flight to LAX where we spent a few days (and took a quick Mexican Riviera cruise) before flying over to New Zealand for a cruise around those islands and over to Australia. That was just the beginning as getting vacation time from work was no longer an issue. If one begins to cruise 100+ days a year it does not take a long time to reach 1000 days.

So for those of you still working and dealing with work vacation issues, have faith, invest your money wisely, and be patient :).

II should also mention a huge issue that impacts on the travel habits of many cruisers. Pets! Our family used to have a very special member who was our beloved dog. She lived a long happy life (17 years) and gave us more joy then we can recount. When our dog passed away we mourned. And then our next reaction was that we needed to find another dog (or dogs). But, since DW and I have also been lifelong travel lovers we made the difficult decision not to get anymore pets as long as we intended to continue (and increase) our travel habit. There is just no reasonable or fair way to have pets and also travel extensively. This issue might make some folks roll their eyes, but if you make a decision to have and love animals...you are unlikely to be a very active traveler/cruiser who takes longer trips.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner