Sharing Tables

ToadOfToadHall

It does NOT happen on Norwegian cruise line. We love the freestyle cruising experience. We can eat in the dining rooms when we want. We don't have assigned dinner times or assigned seating. We always have a table to ourselves. I wouldn't like sitting at a table with strangers every night.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On Cunard, they are only strangers on the first night,however, by the second or third evening one becomes more comfortable with each other and by the end of the voyage/cruise one has certainly made some 'new friends'.

Travelling as solo, I often have to opt to table share (unless I travel with a companion, then I prefer a table for two) Taking a vacation on a ship is a best kept secret. A cruise vacation is a safe environment, I would never dream of opening up a conversation with strangers when sitting at a bar top for example or in an elevator etc, when shoreside at home.;)

Edited by Bell Boy

Here's something I've been pondering about;

If you go into a restaurant on land, you would never be expected, nor would you expect, to sit with anyone else other than the people you are with. Even in McDonlads or a pub, this would only happen if there wad no other tables available.

Imagine ringing up a restaurant and booking a table for 2 say, then arriving and sitting with another couple ? It would never happen - it would be totally unacceptable.

So why is this arrangement perfectly acceptable on a cruise ? And also, because I don't know, does this happen on other cruise lines ? Or is it just specific to Cunard ?

You've never eaten at Durgin Park in Boston, I see.

It does NOT happen on Norwegian cruise line. We love the freestyle cruising experience. We can eat in the dining rooms when we want. We don't have assigned dinner times or assigned seating. We always have a table to ourselves. I wouldn't like sitting at a table with strangers every night.

But if you sat with them every night they soon would not be strangers.

Good Question....why so many negative views.... I enjoy my wife's company and we always ask for a table for two... You cannot tell me that on a table for 6 or 8 there is not some body who is up their own (!) and take over the conversation. In the words of Max Ehrmann ...(Desiderata)..'avoid loud and vexatious persons'

I would add...live and let live. Does anybody take into account someone's personal problems. i.e. recently lost a loved one ? Perhap a medical problem which may cause them embarrassment when in company ? There may be a variety of reasons why a couple may prefer a table for two....so please do not be judgemental

I find "people up their..." are great to have on your table. Once you have found what the issues are, which might take a couple of evenings, you can get straight on to it in a subtle and understanding way. You have to know how to tread in these situations. Obviously you do not press the point on anything which might upset people.

On a recent Cunard Christmas shopping cruise a lady said "I can see you two are sisters". This is an ill advised comment proven by the reply "We are mother and daughter". Talk about putting your foot in it. The original gaffe was backed up with, "Oh yes, I can see you're the daughter", a good get out. No because that was the mother! What was the daughter now thinking?

Regards John

It always amuses my wife and I to see the people in the MDR who stand around waiting for a table for 2 to become available at breakfast time. They mostly look rather miserable and forlorn. I guess its just a case of each to their own preferences.

Glad to offer you some puerile amusement, you must be a doddle to entertain. Your amateur psychoanalysis falls way short of the mark.

Personally when we only require one course and a pot of tea sitting with 6 others whilst they eat their way through the menu is not how we want to start our day :)

It always amuses my wife and I to see the people in the MDR who stand around waiting for a table for 2 to become available at breakfast time. They mostly look rather miserable and forlorn. I guess its just a case of each to their own preferences.

We are very sociable at dinner and opt for a table for 8 and enjoy moving around the table to get chance to speak to everyone.

However, breakfast is another ball game. We are that couple in the naughty corner who are happy to wait for a table for 2 no matter how long the wait. I can’t be bothered with small talk first thing and especially when it’s a new group each day and the conversation is repetitive from day to day with the same pleasantries. At times I’ve joked that I would consider sharing a table with other couples in the naughty corner as we can all agree not to talk to each other. We are always very polite and speak to people on neighbouring tables for two if they wish to converse but it’s nice to know that you can go back to planning your day and talking to your table companion without appearing rude to others.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

However, breakfast is another ball game. We are that couple in the naughty corner who are happy to wait for a table for 2 no matter how long the wait. I can’t be bothered with small talk first thing and especially when it’s a new group each day and the conversation is repetitive from day to day with the same pleasantries.

That is exactly how I feel as well about breakfast.

That is exactly how I feel as well about breakfast.

I am up early and get down the appropriate MDR for a waiter served breakfast on a big shared table. Last cruise I encountered at breakfast, an elderly gentleman, on his own having cereal. He was a bit loud and went on a bit to say the least. There were two milk jugs not the usual three on our table and he seemed to talk quite loudly generally and also to himself as he thought. He had a bowl of cereal, weetabix I think and picked up the first jug. "There's not much milk in here - is there enough?" he said pouring it out. "No, not quite" and poured the lot out. Then he picked up the second jug and said "There's more in here" and poured out most of that, leaving enough for one other person to use it for a strong cup of tea. I just sat back quietly and watched the reaction from the other six people at the table.

Regards John

If you go into a restaurant on land, you would never be expected, nor would you expect, to sit with anyone else other than the people you are with. Even in McDonlads or a pub, this would only happen if there wad no other tables available.

Imagine ringing up a restaurant and booking a table for 2 say, then arriving and sitting with another couple ? It would never happen - it would be totally unacceptable.

So why is this arrangement perfectly acceptable on a cruise ? And also, because I don't know, does this happen on other cruise lines ? Or is it just specific to Cunard ?

This is done in most Teppanyaki restaurants. Any Medieval Manor type dinner performance/theater.

Why wouldn't people want to share a table? I do it all the time. On a cruise or not.

Glad to offer you some puerile amusement, you must be a doddle to entertain. Your amateur psychoanalysis falls way short of the mark.

Personally when we only require one course and a pot of tea sitting with 6 others whilst they eat their way through the menu is not how we want to start our day :)

So, you have to sit there ... at the table ... while ALL of your table mates eat and finish? If you are finished with your breakfast .... what is preventing you from saying "nice seeing you again ... we're off to start our day or finish our evening" .... ???? Are you handcuffed to the table so you can't leave? And IF anyone thinks it's 'rude' or 'insensitive' to leave while others are still dining .... poppycock! :)It's YOUR vacation.

When I say "at home" at don't mean as in "in your house, when you are not on holiday".

So when you go on holiday that is not a cruise, do you expect to eat with strangers by sitting at the same table as them then?

Durgin Park in Boston is famous for its group seating. One meets the most interesting people. Also, train travel begets seating in the diner with other folk. I have enjoyed dinner while on a train with a US Senator that I would have never met otherwise. So bring on the group seating.

We are very sociable at dinner and opt for a table for 8 and enjoy moving around the table to get chance to speak to everyone.

However, breakfast is another ball game. We are that couple in the naughty corner who are happy to wait for a table for 2 no matter how long the wait. I can’t be bothered with small talk first thing and especially when it’s a new group each day and the conversation is repetitive from day to day with the same pleasantries. At times I’ve joked that I would consider sharing a table with other couples in the naughty corner as we can all agree not to talk to each other. We are always very polite and speak to people on neighbouring tables for two if they wish to converse but it’s nice to know that you can go back to planning your day and talking to your table companion without appearing rude to others.

Quote:

Fully agree I love the evening table with 8 - 10 as we all become friends quickly. Breakfast is a singular event as I slowly ease into the day without having to relate my life's history to a full table of different folk each day. Lunch on the other hand can be great fun as one generally will not see these folk again and one can have a fun go at the Up tights without recourse.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

See above - Quote stop is not being kind this evening

Not really. Across Northern California, there are a variety of casual (yet stellar) eateries where "family style" is the norm. Try the Samoa Cookhouse near Arcata on the north coast. Sol in San Rafael comes to mind as well. Lots of places with "community table" concepts. Head over to Hawaii and you'll see the same thing at luaus.

So, you have to sit there ... at the table ... while ALL of your table mates eat and finish? If you are finished with your breakfast .... what is preventing you from saying "nice seeing you again ... we're off to start our day or finish our evening" .... ???? Are you handcuffed to the table so you can't leave? ...
Couldn't agree more. Many times I've done exactly this at breakfast or lunch. A very polite "Hope to run into you again, enjoy the voyage" and away.

Of course, if you arrive when the restaurant opens (rather than mid-morning as some do) you can request a table for two, a window table (my personal favourite first thing with the sun on the water speeding past), "that one over there"...

No standing around in a corner (as noted above) looking sullen, whilst awaiting the perfect table to become available. Those who have never turned up early should try it; lovely to be greeted first thing with a quiet, peaceful, almost empty dining room with plenty of choice.

As for eating with strangers at breakfast; 99% of the time you greet, and are greeted by, delightful people, many of whom are also easing into their day just as you are. Only once have I encountered the passenger from hell.

Best wishes to all :)

No standing around in a corner (as noted above) looking sullen, whilst awaiting the perfect table to become available.

Best wishes to all :)

Another presumption from someone who has never met me, I am not given to looking 'sullen' so please don't tie that epithet to me :D

Another presumption from someone who has never met me, I am not given to looking 'sullen' so please don't tie that epithet to me :D

Us neither. We are quite happy to wait with a smile on our face.

The problem isn’t people who we have previously sat with, it’s just the choice we make. It’s our holiday after all.

I’m never sure why some contributors have to personalise everything to make themselves sound good. Anyway please say hi when I’m standing in the corner waiting for my table for two in the morning :)

We find large tables can be good or bad, the good things are meeting people, enjoying a good conversation, but on the down side, if any of your table go for pre dinner cocktails, then arrive at the table late, you will find the waiter will wait until they arrive so they can serve a full table. We find this rather rude, no thought for your fellow cruisers on your table.

I am not very good at making small talk but my wife is so we opt for a table for eight where my wife is happy to converse with the other diners while I contribute to the conversation when the need arises. This arrangement keeps my wife happy and when she is happy then so am I.

We love sharing a table. Just off our latest cruise and were blessed with two delightful couples. Conversation flowed every night. We are actually quite shy and find sharing helps us and so far we've been lucky with our companions. We've bonded enough to meet up during the day and even on shore excursions.

The Ozzie couple 'jumped ship' in San Francisco because they loved the place, arranging to pick up the ship again in Hawaii and emailed us to tell us what they had done (they knew we were spending 3 nights in SF) so we met up for dinner. Can't imagine that happening in any other circumstances.

sorry to have offended your sensibilities although I cant understand all those long words you have used. I never have a problem saying to the other 6," please excuse me, I have to go now".

I admit that I do find other peoples quirks rather amusing at times and would be surprised if others didn't find some of mine amusing. Each to their own, and never stress over the little things is my motto.

I don't believe I have, unless I'm missing one of my posts where I did, apologies if that is the case :confused: .

Durgin Park in Boston is famous for its group seating. One meets the most interesting people. Also, train travel begets seating in the diner with other folk. I have enjoyed dinner while on a train with a US Senator that I would have never met otherwise. So bring on the group seating.

A few years ago I was on the train from London to Paris. I had stopped in a shop before boarding the train and bought small bottles of wine and cheese & crackers. Thought I'd share them with seatmates ... no one wanted to partake ... so I enjoyed some wine, cheese and crackers while under the channel.

The only place I have ever been sat at long shared tables is in China. We went to several restaurants where the tables were shared. Unfortunately, nobody could speak to us as they didn't speak English, and we didn't speak Chinese. Had a good time with hand gestures and such. Only wish we could have had conversation. Oh well.

So, you have to sit there ... at the table ... while ALL of your table mates eat and finish? If you are finished with your breakfast .... what is preventing you from saying "nice seeing you again ... we're off to start our day or finish our evening" .... ???? Are you handcuffed to the table so you can't leave? And IF anyone thinks it's 'rude' or 'insensitive' to leave while others are still dining .... poppycock! :)It's YOUR vacation.

I think that they're saying that by requesting a table for two they can avoid all of that.

For us, if we don't want to spend 60-90 minutes eating breakfast we go to the buffet. If you're ordering a single course you might still have to wait for the others to get their danish, and their coffee, and their fruit plate, before everyone's breakfast main course comes around.

I like a table for at least six at dinner but I can recognize that others might have different desires.