What SHIP do I want to book??

Bobstam

We last cruised Carnival in 2007 on the Triumph, since then we have cruised on NCL, we had our kids and grandkids on our last cruise so we wanted a big ship with lots of activities for the grandkids to enjoy, but this cruise will just be the 2 of us so curious about the ships offered by Carnival, we love activities but mostly want to sit back and relax by the pool or a good bar area onboard. Does Carnival offer the adult only area and are there extra fees for it? Also curious about the alcohol package, any advise there? So much to consider.

For a couples only cruise, I would choose one of the newest Carnival ships, either Vista or Horizon, and sail during a time when most schools are in session. Dream class ships (Dream, Breeze and Magic) could be alternatives to research as well.

There are more quiet dining venues on the newer ships, Serenity areas for adults only, and the higher pricing might deter some families from booking as well.

For the same reasons, I would also investigate other lines that don't specifically cater to families.

I suggest a Spirit class ship. Carnival does have an adults only area called Serenity and it is free. Some ships though it is a very large and well thought out area and some it is very small. That may be where you focus your research.

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6223/6342041188_cb59acff9e_b.jpg

Carnival has the Cheers alcohol package, but I find that many who love the NCL package feel it pales in comparison as it has a 15 drink limit and is pricey.

If you do look at the newer Carnival ships (Vista/Horizon), consider a Havana cabin. These offer access to a private deck with a pool, hot tubs, bar etc. This area is exclusive only to guests in Havana cabins until the evening (6 or 7PM it open up to all guests). We had friends stay in the Havana area on our Vista cruise and they said the pool area was not at all crowded during the day. The Havana Balconies and Suites also offer large private patios with padded loungers and even a swing seat.

If you want more of a relaxed vibe without crowds, you may also want to check out the Spirit class ships (Pride out of Baltimore or Miracle out of Tampa). These ships aren't as congested as other larger ships.

I suggest a Spirit class ship. Carnival does have an adults only area called Serenity and it is free. Some ships though it is a very large and well thought out area and some it is very small. That may be where you focus your research.

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6223/6342041188_cb59acff9e_b.jpg

Carnival has the Cheers alcohol package, but I find that many who love the NCL package feel it pales in comparison as it has a 15 drink limit and is pricey.

#1.... I'm not aware of too many people who push the 15 drink limit each day

#2.... NCL finds away to gouge you even when they throw in the beverage package as an incentive. Its gratuity' are based off $89.99/day.... and are at a higher rate than Carnivals gratuity % for Cheers which is more than $30/day less each day for the package

My advise would be to go on the Regal Princess. Book through a travel agent and you will get onboard credit. Princess also will give you onboard credit if you served in the military. With this onboard credit the price is a lot closer than you think. If both of you do not want the drink package, Princess allows just one person in the cabin to purchase it, Carnival does not. I have been on a lot of Carnival Cruises and IMHO if you want a relaxing, quiet cruise, Carnival would not be my choice.

you deserve a cruise for just the two of you!

As far as ships, I've only been on two Carnival ships, cruising the Victory twice and Fascination once so I will let someone else answer.

However, regarding Cheers:

#1 - IGNORE people who keep saying 15 drink limit. For the life of me I can't understand why these people will not say it is 15 alcoholic drinks a day **PLUS** all your water, sodas, milkshakes, specialty coffees, and drinks like Powerade, etc,

#2 - I will attach a spreadsheet that will help you with the cost of CHEERs. Someone on this site created it.

#3 - we liked it because it enhanced our experience. We didn't feel obligated to drink a thawed-out frozen drink or a drink we didn't like.

#4 - we saved money on our drink package like this: we ordered it online before boarding which gave us a discount. We pre-paid for it like everything else on our cruise - with a gift card we bought at a 10% discount. (We got ours through Verizon but they've discontinued doing that. However, AARP does and you don't have to be a member. There's a thread out here that explains it.)

And since you mentioned relaxing, Mr. Sanchos at Cozumel was incredibly relaxing. Google them or check them out on Facebook.

Enjoy yourselves!

Carnival Beverage Package Evaluator (1).xls

My advise would be to go on the Regal Princess. Book through a travel agent and you will get onboard credit. Princess also will give you onboard credit if you served in the military. With this onboard credit the price is a lot closer than you think. If both of you do not want the drink package, Princess allows just one person in the cabin to purchase it, Carnival does not. I have been on a lot of Carnival Cruises and IMHO if you want a relaxing, quiet cruise, Carnival would not be my choice.

Actually...A very good recommendation. We usually cruise Carnival...However a couple of years ago my wife and I and my daughter and son-in-law took a cruise on Royal Princess (Regals sister ship). WE enjoyed ourselves..... Definitely a step down in activity related stuff compared to Carnival.... However I found the ship and its layout more mature/elegant, ship is newer as well and it was more of a low keyed cruise. It also had a very nice Adult only area.

Wow, thanks everyone, lots of good advice. We are excited to book a cruise on Carnival again, the Havana area sounds great. Again so much great feedback, I will research some things on the web site as suggested by one poster, never thought of that;p, I find it overwhelming sometimes and that is why I turned to Cruise Critic for some info. I will start again.

Unrelated but it's been awhile and I don't remember how to put your cruise info on your signature area or in my case, remove one, we did not get to take our cruise over the holiday 2017 as my hubby had emergency surgery and was not allowed to travel, actually has just started walking again with a cane or a crutch!! YEAH

Wow, thanks everyone, lots of good advice. We are excited to book a cruise on Carnival again, the Havana area sounds great. Again so much great feedback, I will research some things on the web site as suggested by one poster, never thought of that;p, I find it overwhelming sometimes and that is why I turned to Cruise Critic for some info. I will start again.

Unrelated but it's been awhile and I don't remember how to put your cruise info on your signature area or in my case, remove one, we did not get to take our cruise over the holiday 2017 as my hubby had emergency surgery and was not allowed to travel, actually has just started walking again with a cane or a crutch!! YEAH

Havana....is awesome. Perfect for a couple in my opinion. Did Havana on Vista in November.... Be happy to answer any questions you have

Thanks lc, can you maybe explain about they open up the Havana area at 7:00 pm to the public, so can it get crowded in the evening?

This is most likely to be our only opportunity for the Havana, we don't usually vacation without our kids and grandkids. We usually do a cruise or a FL vacation every other year or so. We love our family time but we are ready for just OUR time. LOL

Wow. I have been on many Carnival Cruises and have been very relaxed every time. I guess it just depends on what your idea of relaxed is.

Wow. I have been on many Carnival Cruises and have been very relaxed every time. I guess it just depends on what your idea of relaxed is.

Well, Tyme2Cruise did say "relaxing, quiet cruise" - I wouldn't call Carnival a "quiet" ship environment, kids or no kids. Very few areas that are truly quiet - maybe the Library, or one of the less-frequented bars (Cabinet bar on Liberty was very quiet the first night of our last cruise).

I concur that the Havana area of the newer ships seems to be a nice option. The Serenity areas on any ship shouldn't have kids, but adults can be loud at times, so don't rely on that as a guarantee. And as mentioned, some Serenity areas are bigger (or more remote) than others.

Carnival is known as the Fun Ship cruiseline for a reason, and does attract a lot of kids. So if you are truly looking for something less chaotic, you might prefer a different line, just this one time.

Well we are looking for FUN so I think we will be ok on a Carnival ship, I just don't want to plan every minute of my day, that type of thing, we like NCL for the No dinner time except the specialty places that we had to make a reservation, the relaxing for me will be not having to PLAN everything for my family group!! LOL Hope they do not get on Cruise Critic! 2017 was a very stressful year with a death, a birth and a serious injury to my hubby, but he has recovered for the most part and 2018 will be a catch up year (he is self employed and most of his clients waited for him to recover, he will be a busy man) so we are looking forward to some time for just the 2 of us. We will look forward to some sun and suds!!

We last cruised Carnival in 2007 on the Triumph, since then we have cruised on NCL, we had our kids and grandkids on our last cruise so we wanted a big ship with lots of activities for the grandkids to enjoy, but this cruise will just be the 2 of us so curious about the ships offered by Carnival, we love activities but mostly want to sit back and relax by the pool or a good bar area onboard. Does Carnival offer the adult only area and are there extra fees for it? Also curious about the alcohol package, any advise there? So much to consider.

My family are NCL cruisers who are booking our first carnival cruise (well my first since the late 80s!) because the dates work for a constrained college break. Here's a surprise, when you add in the $52 per person per day drink package, the cruise prices on carnival's smaller ships are typically a little more than comparable dates for the newer larger NCL ships (which we love). That's without the extra perk of specialty dining which we also love. We don't sail till mid-March so maybe we will love it and think the experience was worth more, but mom, the cruise planner is suffering from sticker shock...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk