Upgrading to accessible cabin

Tillie43

When updating my profile regarding upgrades One of the options is that I do not wish to be upgraded to an accessible stateroom. Besides perhaps wider doorways and different showers, what other differences are there in these rooms. TIA

Bathrooms are larger, water from the shower might not be as well contained as in regular bathrooms.

Bathroom explanation: The shower is a roll-in shower. No barrier to getting a wheelchair into the shower area. Therefore when you shower, the water basically goes all over the whole bathroom floor, unless you put rolled up towels around to act as barriers. Then you need more towels. :D

When updating my profile regarding upgrades One of the options is that I do not wish to be upgraded to an accessible stateroom. Besides perhaps wider doorways and different showers, what other differences are there in these rooms. TIA

In addition, some people feel that able-bodied people shouldn't be taking an accessible cabin, regardless of whether it's done by the cruise line or not.

In addition, some people feel that able-bodied people shouldn't be taking an accessible cabin, regardless of whether it's done by the cruise line or not.

Definitely agree with this post.

facf3506bf5bd08d7cd17d399b9223b9.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Seem to remember quite awhile back an able bodied person was changed rooms from a Handicapped to reg cabin when it was needed at boarding... Was in Military traveled Temp Duty for 14 yrs staying in Hotels. More then once they gave me a Handicapped room as was only one's available. Definitely felt guilty and went to from desk everyday until they gave me reg room when became available....

Several years ago, I booked a "guarantee" junior suite and was assigned to an "accessible" room. I did call Royal Caribbean about this, but they assured me that IF they had a request for an accessible room, they'd switch my room (up until a few days before the cruise).

My main issues were the bathroom and the balcony. The bathroom stayed flooded, even when using multiple rolled up towels as a border to try to trap the water. There was also a lack of storage in the bathroom. As for the balcony, there was a raised up ramp to access the balcony if you were in a wheelchair. Although convenient for those who need it, it was a trip hazard for someone clumsy like me. I continuously stubbed my toes and tripped so bad one time that I actually fell. I joked that the room was going to make sure that I left there NEEDING a wheelchair.

Although I do have to point out a very positive side of having this room - it was huge! The balcony was also much larger than a regular junior suite.