Danube water levels 2018 and similar topics - plus tips and info

notamermaid

We are on the Viking Skirnir in Würsberg.

We were in Passau on Saturday on the Viking Modi..Instead of sailing for Regensburg, we stayed overnight in Passau, then on Sunday went by bus to Regensburg - in the pouring rain. It rained most of the day and cleared up as we boarded the buses. Hope someone benefited from that rain.

The Viking Modi had sailed north while we were on the excursion. From Regensburg we met the ship in its new docking position. On Monday we did our ship swap. We went to Nuremberg from the Modi to the Skirnir by bus. We had lunch, then did our Nuremberg tours.

It has been smooth sailing since then, but our guides pointed out the problem areas as we crossed over on bridges. The water level was clearly level with visible rocks and sand bars.

It looks like we will be fine from here until Amsterdam.

The Regensburg bus ride was a bit over an hour each way - not so bad. Nuremberg was 3, but broken up by a rest stop. The scenery was lovely, the bus comfortable (with a bathroom onboard). We had water and yummy Viking cookies. It didn’t feel like a 3 hour bus ride - at least not to me. Many just slept or read, or did the crossword and sudoku puzzles they handed out.

We have quite a jolly group of fellow passengers and I’ve heard few complaints. It all went smoothly.

We’re on Uniworld S.s. Beatrice. We had 2 nights pre-cruise in Prague. The ship was supposed to start in Nuremberg but the water level was too low, so we embarked from Regensburg. We had the option to go by bus directly to Regensburg or to go to Nuremberg and do the scheduled tour and then go by bus to Regensburg. Then the plan was to stay in Regensburg overnight, but the water level is going back down, so we left at 7:00 p.m. heading to Straubing to dock overnight. Passengers will go by bus back to Regensburg for the scheduled tours. Then the ship has to leave immediately after passengers disembark before the water level gets too low and continue on to Passau. Passengers will be bused after the Regensburg tours end at 5:30 to Passau. Not ideal, but no one can control Mother Nature. under the circumstances, Uniworld is handling it extremely well. The prediction is smooth sailing after that. Fingers crossed.

The two measuring station on the Danube, Pfelling and Straubing are now almost back to the critical low river levels before the recent rains.

This will certainly impact (if it has not already done so), river traffic between Regensburg and Passau.

Weatherwise, it is not very promising, 4 days sunny, then middle of next week rain for 2 - 3 days, but only vey light showers.

Its now been about two months since we've returned from our Danube trip. Yes we had a boat swap and yes we were bussed into Budapest. However, what we are remember about the trip are the places we visited and the experiences. The other stuff, while a good story, seems to have faded to the background.

The Danube continues to torture the ship’s captain and crew. They had to alter the schedule for Uniworld S.S. Beatrice again in a sort of race to get to Budapest before it it becomes impassable. This ship continues on to Bucharest, so getting there is critical. So, instead of staying overnight in Regensburg, we left immediately after the last tour group boarded and headed to Passau, skipping the stop in Straubing. The ship did not dock in its usual spot close to the town. I’m guessing that’s because we weren’t supposed to be there until today. Unfortunately our docking location in Vilshofen was close to the sewage plant. Phew! No open windows last night. Once all the tour groups have boarded, we will embark and go straight to Melk, skipping the overnight in Grein. Tomorrow (Saturday) we skip Spitz, so no exclusive cocktail reception at Arstetten castle, which is not included in the cruise price, but would have been an optional actextra charge. Because of the s

Continuation of previous post:

Because of the acceleration of schedule in order to be able to make it to Budapest, we had to skip the stop in Straubing, Germany. Instead, tomorrow we will stop in Durnstein, Austria on Saturday afternoon after the Melk/ Spitz tours. That gives us an extra half day in Vienna.

Durnstein is charming. You won’t regret visiting there.
thank you, Malekin. I truly don’t care where we go. I’m having such a great time on board, I could live here. The captain told us today that a barge ran aground in the main - Danube canal, shutting down river traffic.

thank you, Malekin. I truly don’t care where we go. I’m having such a great time on board, I could live here. The captain told us today that a barge ran aground in the main - Danube canal, shutting down river traffic.

QueenOfDirt - I can totally relate to you enjoying your special cruising time!

Please clarify, you could live on the ship or in the area. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its now been about two months since we've returned from our Danube trip. Yes we had a boat swap and yes we were bussed into Budapest. However, what we are remember about the trip are the places we visited and the experiences. The other stuff, while a good story, seems to have faded to the background.

In retrospect, since your best memories are of the places you visited, do you think the same trip on your own (without being on a cruise) would have been better?

Well the Danube is too low to navigate past regensberg so we are being bussed to passau, Vienna and Budapest and staying in hotels the last 4 nights. It was expected but a new experience will be had. Great trip so far on vantage splendor. Exceeded my expectations across the board. Great ship and crew and superb food for a river cruise ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In retrospect, since your best memories are of the places you visited, do you think the same trip on your own (without being on a cruise) would have been better?

Personally we like travelling without doing the driving. Doing this without a cruise would have been a fair amount of driving. We like waking up in a different place every day and having tours included. Prior to this we had been on four European ocean cruises and enjoyed them. On this cruise I had enough time in Vienna to go exploring on my own (was the only place I wanted to do this).

Bottom line is that we like using the boat as a moving hotel/restaurant.

Personally we like travelling without doing the driving. Doing this without a cruise would have been a fair amount of driving. We like waking up in a different place every day and having tours included. Prior to this we had been on four European ocean cruises and enjoyed them. On this cruise I had enough time in Vienna to go exploring on my own (was the only place I wanted to do this).

Bottom line is that we like using the boat as a moving hotel/restaurant.

That’s why I enjoy Ocean cruising so much also. I am so hoping the water levels rise by the end of October. The idea of packing up everyday and not being on the water saddens me. I hate driving , that’s probably because I was forced to drive everywhere, prior to my move to Europe.

It sounds like you had a wonderful time, thank you for sharing.

I just checked the Danube river levels between Passau and Regensburg, all the mearusing stations are show 5.0 meters (500 cm).

BEFORE anyone gets excites about the levels rising, they are NOT, it looks like that the two Bavarian website for high and low water (HND and NIS) are not working correct. Looks like a software problem, don't know how long it will take to fix he problem.

I just checked the Danube river levels between Passau and Regensburg, all the mearusing stations are show 5.0 meters (500 cm).

BEFORE anyone gets excites about the levels rising, they are NOT, it looks like that the two Bavarian website for high and low water (HND and NIS) are not working correct. Looks like a software problem, don't know how long it will take to fix he problem.

Oh brother[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

That’s why I enjoy Ocean cruising so much also. I am so hoping the water levels rise by the end of October. The idea of packing up everyday and not being on the water saddens me. I hate driving , that’s probably because I was forced to drive everywhere, prior to my move to Europe.

It sounds like you had a wonderful time, thank you for sharing.

I probably already posted the link but here are some of our pictures.

https://rivercruiseonthedanube.shutterfly.com/pictures

On pegel online the figures do not look promising this morning, but there is help coming. Bavaria and the Alps are getting most of the rain that is falling in Germany today so all that rain (and a bit of snow thrown in) will hopefully raise the levels from tomorrow.

To cheer you up - or at least distract you for a bit from the situation - here is a lovely report from Munich about cakes (yummy!): http://www.bbc.com/travel/story/20180927-the-german-city-investing-in-grandmas-cakes

notamermaid

On pegel online the figures do not look promising this morning, but there is help coming. Bavaria and the Alps are getting most of the rain that is falling in Germany today so all that rain (and a bit of snow thrown in) will hopefully raise the levels from tomorrow.

To cheer you up - or at least distract you for a bit from the situation - here is a lovely report from Munich about cakes (yummy!): http://www.bbc.com/travel/story/20180927-the-german-city-investing-in-grandmas-cakes

notamermaid

You´re the second one to post this link about the cakes. I´ve never heard about this before (and they do exist for 4 years). But I saw this article yesterday and then a news report came up in TV about a start up fair here in Munich and featured this cake thing.

And yes, we had quite a bit of rain today. But it won´t last long. Nothing for tomorrow, maybe more on Wednesday.

steamboats