Total Wine 17th Street - Best practices?

trixiee

Hello,

Flying into FLL the morning of our cruise. Likely be at the ship by noon. Is it easier to get checked in, have lunch, then leave to go to Total Wine? I wouldn’t mind the walk, if it’s doable...

Or, would it be simpler to order my wine (4 or 5 bottles) the day before, and just ask the cab driver to make a stop along the way? How would this stop impact the cost of the cab?

What have people done in the past?

I also see another scenario - just drop off the bags and go back to total wine before checking in?

This is discussed on the Florida Departures board pretty regularly.

The port is not really safe to walk, and HAL typically docks about as far from Total Wines as you can get. It would be a long walk (if safe), and carrying stuff back would complicate that. Plus it will be warmer than you are probably used to. It is commonly recommended you have the taxi stand by while you pick up what you need. You can even pre-order from Total Wines, and they will have it ready for you.

Of course any diversion or standby will increase the cost of the cab. That shouldn't be a surprise.

I would suggest pre-ordering the wine online a couple days before you travel. Then it's all paid for and ready to go. Order an Uber and stop by to pickup the wine and then proceed to Port Everglades. Give the Uber driver a bigger tip than normal but it should only take an extra 5-10 minutes max.

Total Wine has cheapo wine carriers that work but I bought one off Amazon that is much sturdier and only cost about $25. It collapses so it packs easily and is much more comfortable to carry.

You didn't mention which day of the week you are sailing from Ft Lauderdale.

If your plane is arriving on a Sunday, Total Wine won't be open until Noon.

Well that sure puts a kink in things, doesn’t it? Hmmm....

Did the pre-order and they had mine waiting in a box ready to go. Just had the cab wait with the meter running and it took about 2 minutes. Flying in the morning of a cruise is a risky though if you ask me.

I’m sure I will be fine, as it’s a HAL charter flight. I normally arrive the day before the cruise...

I know you didn't ask this but I really think it is risky to fly in the day of the cruise.

Too many things can go wrong.

Just saying.

Keith

I know. 😉. But the flight was part of the special promotion HAL had. 😊

I know. 😉. But the flight was part of the special promotion HAL had. 😊

I have seen HAL wait for a chartered flight if the flight is delayed. ;)

As long as you can get there that day you will probably be fine

We had a chartered flight on one of our cruises - about 200 passengers and we delayed sailing for 2 hours until they were on board.

Good to know that Ft Lauderdale now allows alcohol to be sold starting at 9 AM on Sundays.

Chartered Flight -- interesting.

Will you all be put on special buses to go to the port? Or are you on your own?

If their charter flights are like ours were, they will be transferred on special buses.

In any case, it's no biggie since it's such a quick cab ride to the port.

Honestly, I'd rather take a cab and skip the waits ;)

Good to know that Ft Lauderdale now allows alcohol to be sold starting at 9 AM on Sundays.

Chartered Flight -- interesting.

Will you all be put on special buses to go to the port? Or are you on your own?

That, I do not know! I asked the PCC, and they said they did not know! I will check in with the HAL rep at the airport. Regardless, we’ll grab a cab.

That, I do not know! I asked the PCC, and they said they did not know! I will check in with the HAL rep at the airport. Regardless, we’ll grab a cab.

I would make sure the contact person when you collect your bags knows that you are on your own. They might have a list of XX number of people for the buses, and they will be less than XX, and looking for you...

I would make sure the contact person when you collect your bags knows that you are on your own. They might have a list of XX number of people for the buses, and they will be less than XX, and looking for you...

Yup! Will do!