I work on 'independence of the seas'!

Really cool stuff here. I never once even thought of the idea of doing such a thing. I really wish I would have heard of this in my younger years. Now that ship has sailed (pun not really intended). The pay doesn't seem that bad especially considering that is what line levels would make in similar businesses and you don't have to worry about car insurance/payments/gas, good, rent, utilities, etc. Plus, if you worked your way up, there is some serious money to be made.

Couldn't have said this better myself. I love not having to worry about bills, rent, cooking, car insurance etc.

And yes, there is career opportunities to work your way up - if working on a cruise ship is my long term plan.

We'll miss the Labyrinth, as I think it's slated to be removed during drydock. :o

That's a shame. I think the reason for this, is because Labyrinth isn't really utilised enough during regular cruises. I've only ever been in their twice.

We were mystified the first time we saw "the goth club" on the Liberty (the Catacombs) and then its equivalent on the Indy. (Let's face it, the décor is pretty dark and gothy.)

We had a hard time picturing typical cruise passengers "getting down" to the sounds of Sisters of Mercy, Type O Negative or Siouxsie and the Banshees in a goth club on board. :)

I later learned that it was used more as a general dance club, but still.....

Thanks for the reply! That's good to know. We have some generic Crown and Anchor ones that we bought on Indy (the ones with the coloured bubble bases) but want one with the ship name on - it doesn't matter to us if they don't match the ones we have from other ships. We're next on Indy in May, so will keep an eye out then!

When you come on Indy in May, it's more than likely we'll have a whole bunch of new stock - as the ship is getting a complete makeover in April.

I just read this whole thread and really enjoy reading about your story Chris.

I’m curious about where you live when you go ‘home’. You said you don’t have rent, or car insurance, etc.. I really find it fascinating and enjoy all the information you offer. Thank you.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We were mystified the first time we saw "the goth club" on the Liberty (the Catacombs) and then its equivalent on the Indy. (Let's face it, the décor is pretty dark and gothy.)

We had a hard time picturing typical cruise passengers "getting down" to the sounds of Sisters of Mercy, Type O Negative or Siouxsie and the Banshees in a goth club on board. :)

I later learned that it was used more as a general dance club, but still.....

I agree. I'd much rather be drinking cocktails by the pool.

I totally agree, having sailed on many size ships, have always found the food quality changes. Have a very good friend Mario A that worked as F&B manager for sitmar and Princess many years ago. He always dreaded the larger ships, as was much harder to provide top quality. Those were the days they made ceasr salads, and cooked fettuccine at you table.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sometimes I feel like the quality of the food in Windjammer is the same as our crew-mess. Johnny Rockets however is always good!

I’m curious about where you live when you go ‘home’. You said you don’t have rent, or car insurance, etc.. I really find it fascinating and enjoy all the information you offer. Thank you.

Thanks Daisy! I thought it might be interesting to show you life from our side of the ship.

In between contracts I stay with my parents. I'm usually home between 4-6 weeks, and then I start a new contract.

Thanks Daisy! I thought it might be interesting to show you life from our side of the ship.

In between contracts I stay with my parents. I'm usually home between 4-6 weeks, and then I start a new contract.

I thought this was the case. Every time someone points out that the crew get the benefit of free room and board, I bring up the fact that most of them have wives and kids back home, and are still paying rent/mortgage, utilities and such even when they are on the ship. Those who are single and can live with parents, or can pack up their entire lives in a suitcase, are the ones who will not have expenses while working.

When you come on Indy in May, it's more than likely we'll have a whole bunch of new stock - as the ship is getting a complete makeover in April.

Excellent! The makeover is one of the reasons we're sailing in May - looking forward to seeing all the upgrades!

I thought this was the case. Every time someone points out that the crew get the benefit of free room and board, I bring up the fact that most of them have wives and kids back home, and are still paying rent/mortgage, utilities and such even when they are on the ship. Those who are single and can live with parents, or can pack up their entire lives in a suitcase, are the ones who will not have expenses while working.

This is true. It's so easy for me to accept a new contract. However after 4 contracts, I'm in that transitional period of deciding what to do with my life. I personally don't see myself working on ships long-term.

I thought of an actual question I wanted to ask... I get the feeling that the crew culture is very much a "not my job" type of attitude. Do you get that behind the scenes as well? When you ask a crew member about something, even something small, they tend to go off and get someone else to do it. For example, our infant son spit up on the carpet (babies do that sometimes). I mentioned it to our room attendant and then next thing we knew three guys showed up to clean it. One supervisor and two workers. I just read a post by another member about asking someone to refill a bowl of lettuce at the buffet and they came back with rolls and then someone else came later with lettuce.

I can understand why it might happen... You are supposed to be doing your job not someone else's/why aren't you at your post/that sort of thing.

I thought of an actual question I wanted to ask... I get the feeling that the crew culture is very much a "not my job" type of attitude. Do you get that behind the scenes as well? When you ask a crew member about something, even something small, they tend to go off and get someone else to do it. For example, our infant son spit up on the carpet (babies do that sometimes). I mentioned it to our room attendant and then next thing we knew three guys showed up to clean it. One supervisor and two workers. I just read a post by another member about asking someone to refill a bowl of lettuce at the buffet and they came back with rolls and then someone else came later with lettuce.

I can understand why it might happen... You are supposed to be doing your job not someone else's/why aren't you at your post/that sort of thing.

Main reason for this is because, there is a procedure that goes into every task on the ship. Even something as simple as getting a bowl of lettuce. If we don't know the procedure, we are in no position to carry out said task. It's important to let the correct crew member perform their duties.

Sometimes I feel like the quality of the food in Windjammer is the same as our crew-mess. Johnny Rockets however is always good!

How much variety do you get in the crew mess? Does the menu rotate, like it does in the MDR? If so, how long before you see the same rotating items offered?

I've heard that, as a general rule, rice figures prominently in the crew mess due to the Far Eastern origins of many of the crew.

How much variety do you get in the crew mess? Does the menu rotate, like it does in the MDR? If so, how long before you see the same rotating items offered?

I've heard that, as a general rule, rice figures prominently in the crew mess due to the Far Eastern origins of many of the crew.

Chris can answer for RCI, but my experience is that the menu repeats every 10 days to 2 weeks. Many ships will have two crew mess halls, one that serves primarily Asian food, and one that serves more European or Western food.

I personally thought the food in the crew mess was ok. Almost like a smaller version of the Windjammer. I've heard it can be a lot worse on other ships.

Rice, pasta, some meat choices, vegetables, and dessert section.

Chris can answer for RCI, but my experience is that the menu repeats every 10 days to 2 weeks. Many ships will have two crew mess halls, one that serves primarily Asian food, and one that serves more European or Western food.

I personally thought the food in the crew mess was ok. Almost like a smaller version of the Windjammer. I've heard it can be a lot worse on other ships.

Rice, pasta, some meat choices, vegetables, and dessert section.

Thanks to both of y'all for the insight. Apparently Carnival has a 28-day menu rotation on their ships (or at least the ones I've taken the tour on), but they divide their messes more by crew function than by type of food served.

Thanks to both of y'all for the insight. Apparently Carnival has a 28-day menu rotation on their ships (or at least the ones I've taken the tour on), but they divide their messes more by crew function than by type of food served.

This is true. The 'staff mess' is more like a canteen, and the 'officers mess' is more of a dining area - and not all crew are allowed to eat in the officers mess.

But the food will actually be slightly different from each other as well. You're more likely to find Indians and Filipinos in the staff mess.

This is true. The 'staff mess' is more like a canteen, and the 'officers mess' is more of a dining area - and not all crew are allowed to eat in the officers mess.

But the food will actually be slightly different from each other as well. You're more likely to find Indians and Filipinos in the staff mess.

NCL tends to have 4 mess halls: officers', staff, and 2 crew messes. Officers' mess has a buffet, but also a menu to order off of. Staff mess is a buffet, used by concessionaires, one stripe supervisors, and engineering officers who don't want to get out of coveralls and get into whites for meals. The two crew messes are free for all crew to dine in either, but as I stated, they generally serve different cuisines.

Love this posting. As a Loyal to Royal member I have had lots of conversations with crew members and they confirm your comments. I know how hard you all work to make our time on board special and do my best to recognize that. Thank you for all you all do.

Question for you, on the first / last day of a contact, when do you get on / off the ship? Are you expected to work that day? Thanks!

On a recent cruise on Adventure our stateroom attendant ended his contract two days after our cruise began and got of the vessel in St. Kitts. This was probably rather a exception and had to do with post huricane logistical reasons. He still did part of th morning service and got off at around noon to catch his flight home and the other stateroom attendant took over thereafter, however he got on board already on turnaround day in San Juan.

Question for you, on the first / last day of a contact, when do you get on / off the ship? Are you expected to work that day? Thanks!

A lot of this depends on the crew member's rank and duties. There will normally be a "check out" time for all crew leaving to have all their "out processing" paperwork (sign offs from purser, department head, etc.) at the personnel office for officially signing off the ship, so that transport to the airport (foreign crew must be accompanied by a bonded agent to the airport) can be done in a timely fashion. If the crew member's normal duties include working before the check out time, they will need to work until cleared by their department head. It is, after all, a paid day. The same goes for on signers, they will "in process" through personnel, get their cabin, meet their department head, get their uniforms, and then go to work, if their schedule requires. There are no free days onboard, and not enough people to cover a day's work for everyone signing on/off.