I work on 'independence of the seas'!

Chris,

I am loving your thread. We became addicted to cruising in 2007 and have thankfully been able to do this at least once a year (would love more, obviously). One thing I have been constantly amazed at is the true feeling of care, concern and friendliness of most to the crew we've encountered. I always feel it must 'roll down' from above, which speaks volumes. Especially since we wouldn't be able to enjoy our vacation without everyone who does so much. And if it were all 'fake' or 'slave' like conditions, we would feel to guilty to enjoy.

One common theme I always find is how many crew are from other countries and obviously have to leave family for long periods of time. I understand there are many things the cruise line does for the crew (like you mentioned, parties and the like). But I'm curious. Do crew have to pay extra for the internet and/or cell calls to family members? Or are those items included in your 'benefit packages'?

Thanx

Erika

Do you sleep on ship?

To be young again and have the opportunity to work and travel, make friends, create memories.

Enjoy! :)

I'm quite fortunate with my job, in that we do get a lot of free time compared to other departments. In fact, I get every port day off, because the shops legally have to close when we're in port. The shops won't open again until we set sail. During this time, you can expect us shop staff to be sleeping in, before venturing out into port.

Yes it is an incredible experience, and I had no idea what I was signing up for. I had never even been on a cruise before working on ships.

Hi Chris, Independence of the seas has a women as cruise director right now do you think more women should follow her step or do you think this position suits better a men ?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I love this question!

Yes I would love to see more women as the Cruise Director. As long as you have that ability to transfer your positive energy on to the guests, which is hard to do, women are just as capable of being the Cruise Director! In fact, I have come across male Cruise Directors who have been terrible. There are plenty of girls on the Cruise Director Staff, who are good friends of mine, that would make a great Cruise Director one day.

Hello Chris! I’ve heard that European citizens don’t have to pay taxes to their home countries while they’re working on a cruise ship, but the US cruise ship employees do have to pay American taxes. If this is true, it explains why we Americans hear so many British accents on board and meet so few US crew members. Is this true?

You have to pay income taxes in the country where you are bases and employed. On a ship this is usually the country where it is registered, e.g. if you work with Costa or Aida you pay taxes in Italy. The US requests all US citizens independent from where they are based to make a tax declaration and to pay the difference between other taxes and US taxes to them. This makes it expensive. However, Norwegian or Swedish seaman based in Norway or Sweden pay a lot more...

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I've also been on Navigator. Basically a smaller version of Indy.

Which other ships have have you been on?

Navigator is my favorite ship!

Ships I have been on :

Vision x 3

Explorer x4

Rhapsody x2

Jewel x 1

Legend x1

Serenade x2

Navigator x5

Thanks for sharing your knowledge!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

Chris,

I am loving your thread. We became addicted to cruising in 2007 and have thankfully been able to do this at least once a year (would love more, obviously). One thing I have been constantly amazed at is the true feeling of care, concern and friendliness of most to the crew we've encountered. I always feel it must 'roll down' from above, which speaks volumes. Especially since we wouldn't be able to enjoy our vacation without everyone who does so much. And if it were all 'fake' or 'slave' like conditions, we would feel to guilty to enjoy.

One common theme I always find is how many crew are from other countries and obviously have to leave family for long periods of time. I understand there are many things the cruise line does for the crew (like you mentioned, parties and the like). But I'm curious. Do crew have to pay extra for the internet and/or cell calls to family members? Or are those items included in your 'benefit packages'?

Thanx

Erika

At least during my time on cruise ships, the crew had to pay for internet, and cell calls. There is really very little "benefit package".

I believe RCI crew can receive a better discount on cruises than concessionaire staff. When I was with NCL, we could book family for various discounts, based on how close to sailing we did the booking, and within the last two weeks before sailing the price was "taxes and fees".

For the question about married crew living together, the answer is "most times". The cruise line will make every effort to accommodate this, but there are rare instances where the rankings just don't work out, and I've seen one or two married couples have to live in separate cabins.

As for a Q&A, I've had a couple of threads where folks have specifically asked me to participate, typically about the technical aspects of the ships. Anytime you want to ask something, just put my name in your thread title, and I'll likely see it.

Hi Chris, first time on RC Indy in May only 2 days :(

Can we prebook the escape room & trampolining thing?

Waves from not far from L’pool (wool) lol

Indy has an escape room now?? It didn’t when we were on last spring break! Last I knew just Anthem and Harmony had them

What's up guys! I thought some of you out there might find this interesting!

I'm Chris from Liverpool, and I am a crew member onboard the Independence Of The Seas! I work in the Duty Free shops.

If any of you have ever wondered what being a Royal Caribbean crew member is like, give my blog post a read, and let me know if you recognise me or any of my friends.

I talk about my job, social life, travel, and overall ship life.

https://www.chriswongvlogs.com/work-on-a-cruise-ship-uk

More importantly, share this with anyone you know who wants to start working on cruise ships - or ask me any questions about Royal Caribbean ships in general. I can give you an honest opinion!

Great Blog ! thanks for sharing