I work on 'independence of the seas'!

Hey Chris, I was wondering if you have worked any of the Bliss charters. I see they charter Indy and Navigator. Looks like an, um, interesting group . . .

I have yet to work a bliss cruise, and I haven't actually heard too much about them. I think they only occur once a year on certain ships.

I think you do have to keep an open mind on these cruises.

What percentage of the crew is prone to seasickness?

What measures do they take to prevent it?

I ask because I am fairly prone to motion sickness and take a Bonine before bed every night on a cruise. I wonder if there are other measures to take.

What percentage of the crew is prone to seasickness?

What measures do they take to prevent it?

I ask because I am fairly prone to motion sickness and take a Bonine before bed every night on a cruise. I wonder if there are other measures to take.

If they tend towards chronic sea sickness, they usually don't last long on the ship. Some will be ill in fairly calm seas, and these will take pretty much an assortment of things, just like passengers, and what works for one doesn't necessarily work for others. Typically, if you can acclimate your inner ear to the motion, over time you develop "sea legs", and it doesn't seem to bother you as much, or you don't think about it as much.

You know this from what sources?

This was the most recent one I read. It's not exactly a secret. A cruise ship is a floating city. Cities have crime.

"Sexual assault is one of the most reported crimes on cruise ships, but it’s not very often those cases involve a minor asleep in her cabin — and a ship crew member.

In a case filed in district court in Miami last week, that is just what one family from Iowa alleges happened to their then-12-year-old daughter."

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article194257089.html

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This couldn't be further from the truth. You don't hear about it because most of it goes unreported. Sexual assault, in particular.

This was the most recent one I read. It's not exactly a secret. A cruise ship is a floating city. Cities have crime.

"Sexual assault is one of the most reported crimes on cruise ships, but it’s not very often those cases involve a minor asleep in her cabin — and a ship crew member.

In a case filed in district court in Miami last week, that is just what one family from Iowa alleges happened to their then-12-year-old daughter."

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article194257089.html

So, which is it "most of it goes unreported" from your first post, or "one of the most reported" from your second post?

So, which is it "most of it goes unreported" from your first post, or "one of the most reported" from your second post?

Does it really matter? Did I step on your dress? You seem to be getting very defensive over the fact that I'd dare point out that there's crime on cruise ships, just like there is crime in any other part of this world.

Does it really matter? Did I step on your dress? You seem to be getting very defensive over the fact that I'd dare point out that there's crime on cruise ships, just like there is crime in any other part of this world.

Not defensive at all, just don't like folks spreading incorrect information. While there is, of course, crime on cruise ships, there isn't a lot of it, despite the attempts by media and ambulance chasers to say there is, what Chris was answering was a question of whether or not a poster's daughter would feel safe on the ship as a crew member. Both of us reported, from first hand experience, that the crew tends to take care of each other, and you claimed this was "far from the truth".

Just because someone says that sexual assault is the "most reported crime" on ships, doesn't mean that there is a lot of it. There could be 3 crimes reported in a year, and two of those were assault, and the "most reported" would still be true.

And, yes, it does make a difference, when you claim that "you don't hear about most of it", as your basis for saying that "you don't have to worry about crime on the ship" as a crew member, is "far from the truth".

What is the dating scene like amongst the crew? I know relationships/hooking up with guests is prohibited, but curious about what goes on between crew members (nothing specific or graphic, lol). Is there a hierarchy - like would a bartender date a cabin steward? On the same note, is there a lot of interaction between different nationalities, or do people tend to hang out with others from their home countries? I think my favorite thing about cruising is talking to the crew, and I appreciate how hard they work while continuing to be so gracious and friendly. And I'm always amazed how they remember everyone's name! Thanks for your blog - looking forward to reading more!

What is the dating scene like amongst the crew? I know relationships/hooking up with guests is prohibited, but curious about what goes on between crew members (nothing specific or graphic, lol). Is there a hierarchy - like would a bartender date a cabin steward? On the same note, is there a lot of interaction between different nationalities, or do people tend to hang out with others from their home countries? I think my favorite thing about cruising is talking to the crew, and I appreciate how hard they work while continuing to be so gracious and friendly. And I'm always amazed how they remember everyone's name! Thanks for your blog - looking forward to reading more!

There's a lot of it. There is a bit of hierarchy, but bartenders could definitely date cabin stewards. Even junior supervisors date lower ranked crew, there is a lot less fear of harassment in other cultures. Senior officers are frowned on for dating junior crew, and sometimes when a dating situation gets very blatant about preferential treatment, it will be slapped down.

There are definitely ethnic "cliques" and lots of evidence of the (Filipino/Indonesian) Mafia, but there is mixing of cultures (not always religions) and lots of tolerance.

Chris thank you - this is so interesting! (Cheng your insights are always so fascinating, too!)

After a few cruises, my daughter is bound and determined to take a gap year after high school and spend a year working on a cruise ship, possibly as a dancer.

That said, how safe is working on a cruise ship for a young woman? I imagine the male to female ratio is not very balanced. Is it safe? Is there crime amongst crew?

When you have a couple hours off, are you ever allowed to be in guest areas, like the pool or solarium, or must you stick to crew areas?

Thanks!

From what I have read your daughter will be too young to work aboard after high school. The age to work on Royals ships is 21.

http://www.royalcaribbeanproductions.com/careers

So on the last sea day on my NYE Navigator cruise the captain said during his announcement that there were if I remember correctly 46 married couples in the crew. He pointed out that not all were from the same country and that some were from very different backgrounds, with one couple being from Egypt and Peru. So while the extent of multinational relationships may be unknown it certainly happens, which as I think about it more shouldn’t be surprising given the close quarters the crew works in.

HUH???

Like shakedowns and stuff?

No, more like getting their countrymen little preferences, and doing things ashore for their countrymen who can't get ashore that they might not do for another nationality. It's more of a friendly connotation, as in competition between nationalities.

No, more like getting their countrymen little preferences, and doing things ashore for their countrymen who can't get ashore that they might not do for another nationality. It's more of a friendly connotation, as in competition between nationalities.

Cool! I totally see where you're going with that.

I'm sorry, not really, but it sounds nice, but you are one of the most obnoxious, disrespectful people posting on these boards. Anyone who doesn't agree with you is ridiculed. You need to grow up and take what others post as their views, even though you think you are the one who is always has the most important voice.

Cheng knows far more than you ever will regarding ships and your post was that of a spoiled child.

I'm sorry, not really, but it sounds nice, but you are one of the most obnoxious, disrespectful people posting on these boards. Anyone who doesn't agree with you is ridiculed. You need to grow up and take what others post as their views, even though you think you are the one who is always has the most important voice.

Cheng knows far more than you ever will regarding ships and your post was that of a spoiled child.

Thanks for the kind words, sweetheart. I usually ignore trolls, but I'll bite.

So someone that has knowledge of ship mechanics is also an expert in criminology? I would have never thought the two correlated.

You summed it up perfectly!!

Thanks for the kind words, sweetheart. I usually ignore trolls, but I'll bite.

So someone that has knowledge of ship mechanics is also an expert in criminology? I would have never thought the two correlated.

By no means an expert in criminology, just someone who knows life aboard cruise ships, and one who dislikes people who spout incorrect information, and then use conflicting statements to bolster their argument.

Ah, so RCI is unique in the criminality of their crew, so that their crew commits more sexual assaults than other ship's crews at other cruise lines with similar ethnic mixtures?

Not meant to be a statement of crew behavior.

Just stating he works for a vendor that leases space.