Sleep Aids for Long Flights?

OP: Why not consult an actual doctor, rather than the medical "experts" here on CC? :D (Perhaps a true sleep aid like ambien would be best for you in this circumstance.)

'Cause I just wanted a quick idea of what other people did when taking a long flight.

I don't want to be completely knocked out during the flight. I just wanted info on a sleep aid to help relax me.

I think we’re on the same cruise (Radiance March 18). When is your flight? We fly from Chicago to LAX and then on to Sydney on March 15 on American Airlines. I’ve been struggling with the same question you brought up. I’ve never been able to sleep on planes, including flights to Europe. I’m going to try Tylenol PM.

Hi!! We're leaving Minneapolis on Wednesday night, 11:30 out of LA. We're spending 2 nights in Sydney.

When are you leaving?

Hi!! We're leaving Minneapolis on Wednesday night, 11:30 out of LA. We're spending 2 nights in Sydney.

When are you leaving?

Our flight out of LA is at 10:45pm on Thursday. One night pre cruise and one post cruise in Sydney. We’re staying at The Grace Hotel in Sydney.

I travel a lot internationally for work.

I only take a sleep aid on the very long flights (like LA-Sydney). When I take one, I want to be able to sleep at least 7 hours.

I use prescription Ambien. I also take it to help adjust to a new time zone, stay up to a reasonable bed time, then take the extended release version to get a full night's sleep. One or two nights, and I am adjusted.

But you do want to take it before hand, as some people have strange reactions to it.

I am NOT a fan of melatonin, as you are taking a pituitary hormone. Not something to be messing with.

What's the difference between doxylamine and diphenhydram? Anyone know?

Both are sedating antihistamines and are quite similar. From Mayo Clinic:

• Diphenhydramine (Benadryl, Aleve PM, others).Diphenhydramine is a sedating antihistamine. Side effects might include daytime drowsiness, dry mouth, blurred vision, constipation and urinary retention.
  • Doxylamine succinate (Unisom SleepTabs). Doxylamine is also a sedating antihistamine. Side effects are similar to those of diphenhydramine.

My mother swears by Benadryl. But for me it has the opposite effect than it does for most people and gives me the “Jimmy Legs”. Since I’m terrified of flying to an embarrassing degree, my doc prescribes a low dose of Xanax. It ALWAYS puts me to sleep. I know you’re looking for OTC but for such a long flight you may want to consider a visit to your GP.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

LOL I use the Xanax, as I have that "fear of flying to an embarrassing degree" as well. Mine is so bad, that I think my fight or flight response is calmed just enough to balance me out, as it is never enough to make me sleep. However, if I take half of what I take for a flight, at home.. I am out for 10 hours.

I am laughing at the embarrassing degree part, as I use to have to breath into the barf bag, while crying and mangling my partners hand in the process. That barf bag does not inflate and deflate quietly. :o

LOL I use the Xanax, as I have that "fear of flying to an embarrassing degree" as well. Mine is so bad, that I think my fight or flight response is calmed just enough to balance me out, as it is never enough to make me sleep. However, if I take half of what I take for a flight, at home.. I am out for 10 hours.

I am laughing at the embarrassing degree part, as I use to have to breath into the barf bag, while crying and mangling my partners hand in the process. That barf bag does not inflate and deflate quietly. :o

Yeah it’s pretty bad when everyone turns to stare!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I’m taking my first ever flight in June, and due to my fear of flying, my doctor also wrote me a script for Xanax. Can I ask you when you take it and how long it lasts? We have about a 3 hr flight to Atlanta, a 2.5 hour layover, and from there, to Miami.

Oh, the things I do in order to cruise... [emoji849]

I know you didn't ask me, but I will tell you what I have done. I take 0.25mg 45 minutes before the flight, and then another 0.25mg at the time I am buckling my seat belt.

I do EVERYTHING I can to avoid connections, but when I cannot then I can break another tab in half and have 0.25 as I am boarding the connection.

Home reaction may or may not be the same. Like I mentioned in another post... 0.25mg knocks me out cold when at home. I am very narc & benzo naive so it works very well for me. However, when I take what I described above for a flight, I get a little sleepy just before boarding, but then the adrenaline kicks in, and I am balanced out. My last flight was on Feb 17th from San Juan to Miami, then I had to drive 4 hours from Miami to home. I was not even close to being tired for the drive home, and was up most of the night after I got home. I guess it will depend on how fast you metabolize the med.