Ship Captains, Who is in charge

daka

I often see people posting to find out who is the Captain, or Cruise Director or the Maitre 'd. I have never seen the fascination. None of them has ever ruined my cruise and none have ever made it wonderful

Makes no difference to us who any of the above are, we cruise for the joy of cruising. I think some of the posters who ask who these folks are just do it to start a thread. Also all the coffee card, dress up questions and such.Your name in lights so to speak.

Makes no difference to us who any of the above are, we cruise for the joy of cruising. I think some of the posters who ask who these folks are just do it to start a thread. Also all the coffee card, dress up questions and such.Your name in lights so to speak.

like your inane responses?...:evilsmile:

posts go "poof"

Communications is an important part of being a leader and is just as important, if not more, as decision making. A leader who makes good decisions but can't communicate them well will have the people under him not understanding what he wants. A captain who communicates poorly to the passengers is probably also communicating poorly to his officers.

I say communications might be more important than decision making because a leader who makes a good decision but can't communicate it will be operating solo without his staff fully bought in on his decision. But a leader who communicates well with his staff will get their buy in as well as feedback that lets the decision be improved.

I also disagree. A Captain that communicates well but makes poor decisions is as worse than a Captain that makes great decisions but does not communicate them well. Eventually a Captain that makes good decisions will be recognized by his crew and will be able to anticipates what he wants/means. A Capt who communicates his bad decisions still causes problems but many now know it.

I agree...

I often see people posting to find out who is the Captain, or Cruise Director or the Maitre 'd. I have never seen the fascination. None of them has ever ruined my cruise and none have ever made it wonderful

Totally agree. I just wish they were all fluent in the English language.

Brings to mind the old story of the "affluent" woman who was asked to dine at the captain's table. She replied' date=' "You're asking me to dine with the help?"[/quote']

Buda boom...good one

Sorry about the caps....I just can´t figure out why the interest in the Captain....do you fly with only certain Pilots?

And, no I´m not angry...just curious...maybe there is something about these certain Captains that I missed.

I do remember a certain Captain, I think on a R/C cruise who had a mini motorcycle that he rode through the ship.....but HE is the only Captain that I ever spoke to...(or cared to speak to)

Yes, Captain Johnny.....a "colorful" Captain for sure.....

I suspecct that if you are ever on a ship that has Michelo Tuvo as the Captain, you will change your mind. He is an outstanding captain who I would cruise to anywhere if he were the captain!

Tom

Tom - I totally agree. Never thought I'd say that until I sailed with Captain Tuvo. He is one of a kind and I would cruise anywhere if he was the captain.

Maybe not for you, but a Maitre D Hotel made a cruise wonderful, we've stayed in touch, and it's gotten us to book three more cruises just to cruise with him again.