Carnival sales just a gimmick?

ashton57

Using an excel spreadsheet and a lot of spare time, I pick a 3 to 4 cruises in the future (ranging 3 to 6 months out) and start tracking the cabin absorption rate and price per cabin category. I have found that the further out the cruise is the more erratic the cabin price is, however, as the ships fills up price begin to stabilizes around an occupancy level 75% to 80%. This also seems to conincides to the ship date being about 6 to 7 weeks out. For the next few weeks, weekly cabin booking absorption rates reach the highest level tracked.

Where does one get info on “cabin absorption rate” and occupancy levels?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Carnival keeps claiming to have new sales every other day. Everytime they do a new one I do a mock booking for several different room categories and still get the same final price that I got before the sale started. How can they claim they are having a sale when the prices never change? Is this just a gimmick?
It's not GIMMICK...it's a JOKE! I always check also....

:mad:

For US and Canadian customers, how is making a deposit ($50, 100 or more) putting anything at risk?

Are you talking about a non-refundable deposit? No one said this.

I've found that most times the reduced deposits are ES and nonrefundable. That being said, I've done them and even though I could pay the full deposit I would rather do the reduced amount and have the remaining money in my account to do with as I wish, rather than in Carnivals.

I've never understood the attraction of a reduced deposit. It doesn't affect the final price, just the time at which a relatively small amount must be ponied up.

I would much prefer a fare reduction in place of a non-refundable OBC.

The reduced deposit allowed me to book an AEB on a cruise 18 months from now while only putting $100 at risk.
If you know how to book thoughtfully, none of your money is at risk.

I booked a cruise for May 2019 using the $50 deposit. As it turns out, I probably would have booked it anyway with normal deposits, but for me, it was a worthwhile "bonus": there are many things that can cause me to not be able to take that cruise between now and final payment day. So I essentially bought self-cancellation insurance for $100.

Yeah, if you book non-ES you can transfer your deposit to a future cruise if you need to cancel, minus $50 per booking. So...that matches the reduced deposit.

I wouldn't book a cruise purely because of reduced deposit, but it helps with some risk management and short-/medium-term cash flow management.

And yeah, I would prefer a lower fare vs OBC. But if the option is OBC or risk losing the specific cabin I might want, then I may just take the OBC. I will be spending the money either way (unless the OBC is huge!).

I've never found any of the "sales" to be anything special. Reduced deposits for the longer or Alaska cruises can make a difference though--$400 deposits rather than an $800 deposits. True, you pay the difference in the end, but if you don't feel like putting another $400 out there for a cruise 18 months away, it can make a difference. To me, OBC always seems to be equalized by either the price or the extra you pay for the deck selection. In the end, if I can afford it, and it's the right dates and itinerary, I just book it when I want to make the down payment.

Remember when JC Penney stopped their "Sales with Coupons" technique and switched to "everyday low pricing" that was effectively equivalent? Customers stopped shopping - they no longer felt like they were getting a "deal", even though it was the same dang price. Penney had to switch back, but the damage was done, they haven't fully recovered.

Humans are weird.

For US and Canadian customers, how is making a deposit ($50, 100 or more) putting anything at risk?

People (especially senior citizens) can be forgetful and miss the refundable cancellation date.

Remember when JC Penney stopped their "Sales with Coupons" technique and switched to "everyday low pricing" that was effectively equivalent? Customers stopped shopping - they no longer felt like they were getting a "deal", even though it was the same dang price. Penney had to switch back, but the damage was done, they haven't fully recovered.

Humans are weird.

This is spot on and did happen. Nobody wants to book unless they see "sale" or "special". I find that is you want to sail the newest ships and get the best price, book as far out as possible or when bookings open. OBC goes up and down $50 so catch it when it's up for VIFP. Week to week sales never seem to make a price difference know matter which way they spin it.