Behind the scene tour

terpstra1

Do any of the HAL ships do them anymore? I sail on the Koningsdam 3/7 and was hoping they did.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I did one on the Koningsdam premier. I believe the price is $150.00

Sent from my iPad using Forums

On the Vista and Signature Class vessels, yes. If staff are available to serve as the "guide/host", the tour will probably be available. Do not know about Koningsdam but I would think the situation would be the same. Worth the cost? YES!

Do any of the HAL ships do them anymore? I sail on the Koningsdam 3/7 and was hoping they did.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

The answer is yes on the seven bigger ships (Vista, Signature and Pinnacle) if there is enough interest from passengers on a particular voyage

When we were on the Zaandam to Alaska (May 2017) there was a tour of the main galley (kitchen) starting from the MDR and exiting at the Pinnacle restaurant. They took in small groups of about 15-20, photos allowed. This was offered for free, and appeared in the daily program. Booking not required, first come first served.

They seem to offer the galley tours & behind the main stage on most longer cruises. The bridge tours have not been offered on any cruise we've been on. I don't think I'd pay $150 to do one. I've read reviews of people who have also been lucky enough to do a tour of the engine control room.

Allan

We did the tour on Zuiderdam when the tours were quite new. I knew about it because of CC, so I went right to the front desk to sign up. I think it was $100 back then (2010, maybe), but worth every penny.

We did an engine room tour on Statendam MANY years ago. I think it was limited to 8 people, and I was the only woman who signed up. A few of the less enlightened men looked at me oddly, and later were impressed when I asked pertinent questions. I found it fascinating and a little bit scary, especially as we went down a little catwalk right next to a huge drive shaft! All I could think of was a washing-machine ringer. :eek:

Did one on the Oosterdam - $150 - and it was well worth it. Sounds steep I know, but this is an extraordinary experience. Plus they loaded us up with books and goodies. Engine rooms are apparently closed off now for security reasons, but we did get a tour of the bridge with requisite photos with the Captain in his domain.

Highly recommended if you want to see the "other half" of this 24/7 floating city from the navigation room to the laundry and tailoring departments.. Bring a sweater because the tour of the food storage lockers is very, very cold.

Thanks for posting that Rich. The only place I haven't seen was the engine control room which I would like to see. It is a very interesting behind the scene tour.

Allan

On the Prinsendam in August 2016, we got a virtual bridge and engineering spaces tour. They used the main showroom, the chief engineer was the emcee for the engine room and a senior bridge officer (navigator? ) did the bridge. They had some very nice presentation slides and a lot of video to accompany it. For a lot of the engine video there was no sound, as when they reviewed it after shooting it, it was so noisy that you could not hear the commentary. So instead the engineer narrated it as it was shown to us.

Very interesting and enjoyable.

On the Prinsendam in August 2016, we got a virtual bridge and engineering spaces tour. They used the main showroom, the chief engineer was the emcee for the engine room and a senior bridge officer (navigator? ) did the bridge. They had some very nice presentation slides and a lot of video to accompany it. For a lot of the engine video there was no sound, as when they reviewed it after shooting it, it was so noisy that you could not hear the commentary. So instead the engineer narrated it as it was shown to us.

Very interesting and enjoyable.

Several of the captains are now doing that 'virtual bridge' tour presentation in the main show lounge, explaining the purpose of the various instruments on the panels and then doing a Q&A afterwars

Several of the captains are now doing that 'virtual bridge' tour presentation in the main show lounge, explaining the purpose of the various instruments on the panels and then doing a Q&A afterwars

We had a virtual tour like that on K'dam. Captain and Hotel Manager were interesting and very good speakers. They took some questions, too.