Typical evening dining room attire for men?

I’m with you about packing more. It’s another pair of shoes, a coat, another pair of pants. We dressed up for both nights of our HAL cruise because we found it appropriate. Less is more for my vacation now. I’ll always look presentable though. I will also say that what other people wear has absolutely no impact on my vacation whatsoever. Let’s all have a drink and enjoy the cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We can easily do a week long cruise in a 20" and our backpacks. DH wears his jeans on board with his boat shoes and packs a pair of gray chinos. He has one pair of slip on loafer like shoes that he can wear in the evenings - they are casual enough to look fine with jeans but also work with the dress slacks. If he really wanted a blazer (say for a cooler climate like Alaska), he would simply wear that on the plane. He only has to pack his water sandals, underwear, shorts and shirts (ties if he wants) and is good to go. So for elegant night, the only "extra" is a long sleeve shirt and tie. How much room can that possibly take up?

So really, dressing up for elegant night, particularly on Carnival where the recommended dress does not include a suit, can be done easily...if you want to.

I think dress shorts would be the non-athletic ones - kind of like dockers, but shorts instead of pants.

Think golf shorts....

Just like a dress shirt, is NOT a polo. A polo is a business casual shirt. A "dress shirt" is a long sleeve (or in theory those ugly short sleeve) shirts that men wear to work and can support a tie.

I quit bringing a sports jacket, dress shirt and tie on cruises about 4 cruises ago. On casual nights I wear cargo shorts and a nice Aloha type shirt and on Elegant nights I wear business casual (long pants, collared shirt and nice shoes). Taking a SWAG I think 70-80% of the men do the same.

Nice shirt and slacks no shorts or jeans casual for all nights but formal, Formal nights suit is the proper thing to ware I feal

Sent from my VS501 using Forums mobile app

Carnival Kid, apparently the other posters can't read - you said "formal nights suit is the proper thing to "Wear" I "feel". You were stating your opinion. I agree too. I feel you should put forth some effort on that night - if not go to the buffet. I'm no old fogey - I'm in my 40s and yes I will roll my eyes at you if you roll up into the dining room in shorts on formal nights. Have some respect for yourself and others. Put on some pants for one night . It doesn't have to be a tux but show some effort.

In the infamous words of ZZ top - every girl's crazy about a sharp dressed man.......

with my legs, i don't wear shorts in public, lol. well maybe my swimsuit at the pool. I like that decent jeans are acceptable, but I do at least wear a collared shirt to dinner. And a button down shirt and tie on elegant night. But like many, doesn't bother me what others wear. Just makes for more people watching pleasure.

Your legs will be under the table at dinner, unless a person across from you keeps dropping her/his napkin under the table, you will be fine in shorts.

Carnival Kid, apparently the other posters can't read - you said "formal nights suit is the proper thing to "Wear" I "feel". You were stating your opinion. I agree too. I feel you should put forth some effort on that night - if not go to the buffet. I'm no old fogey - I'm in my 40s and yes I will roll my eyes at you if you roll up into the dining room in shorts on formal nights. Have some respect for yourself and others. Put on some pants for one night . It doesn't have to be a tux but show some effort.

In the infamous words of ZZ top - every girl's crazy about a sharp dressed man.......

Couldn't have said it better. Everyone says they feel no obligation to show some class because Carnival is the "Walmart of the seas". In reality, it's the other way around - Carnival is the "Walmart of the seas" BECAUSE they have no class.

I quit bringing a sports jacket, dress shirt and tie on cruises about 4 cruises ago. On casual nights I wear cargo shorts and a nice Aloha type shirt and on Elegant nights I wear business casual (long pants, collared shirt and nice shoes). Taking a SWAG I think 70-80% of the men do the same.

Yup!

Couldn't have said it better. Everyone says they feel no obligation to show some class because Carnival is the "Walmart of the seas". In reality, it's the other way around - Carnival is the "Walmart of the seas" BECAUSE they have no class.

Your floating display of class served fellow guests drinks all day in disco balls and coconut monkey cups.

In some way if the thought that combinations of those and salt air will motivate people to dress beyond the minimums to a new standard exists that’s time wasted.

Your floating display of class served fellow guests drinks all day in disco balls and coconut monkey cups.

In some way if the thought that combinations of those and salt air will motivate people to dress beyond the minimums to a new standard exists that’s time wasted.

I'm pretty sure there are no disco balls or coconut monkey heads in the dining room.

I've got at least 10 years on on you and I disagree. I'm on vacation, I will wear what I feel is appropriate (and usually it's a dress shirt and a nice pair of slacks, dress shoes, maybe a sport coat, maybe a tie), but, I could care less what others wear. Why would it bother you that someone decides to dress however they feel is most comfortable. As long as there's no policy against it (or it's not enforced), it makes no difference to me. I worry about me, not anyone else.

And that's my opinion. I have a lot of things to worry about. What others wear is FAR FAR down my list.

Wow, the "hoity-toity" attitude shown by some on this thread amazes me. Why are you on the Carnival site if they are only the "Wal-Mart of the Seas." Obviously, we are not worth your attention so why don't you take it elsewhere, and laugh among others.

For me, I am on vacation, I am not out to impress anyone. Do I dress poorly simply because I prefer to cruise on Carnival? No. I dress as the dress-code dictates. I have no desire to haul around extra jackets, a tux, and all the things that go with it. In my professional life, I wear business casual, and that meets the need for personal and cruising.

Maybe those that are super critical should cruise on the lines where people of "higher status" wear name tags displaying said status, so they make it clear to everyone how good they "really are." SMH....

Wow, the "hoity-toity" attitude shown by some on this thread amazes me. Why are you on the Carnival site if they are only the "Wal-Mart of the Seas." Obviously, we are not worth your attention so why don't you take it elsewhere, and laugh among others.

Maybe those that are super critical should cruise on the lines where people of "higher status" wear name tags displaying said status, so they make it clear to everyone how good they "really are." SMH....

There's a reason Cruise Critic has the reputation it does. That's all I'm sayin'.

Actually they do, they are on here....They are known as the Platinums and Diamonds....They will wave that Sign and Sail card every chance they get....if they introduce themselves to you it wont be as "Mr & Mrs John Doe" oh no, it will be "Mr & Mrs John Doe - WE ARE DIAMOND CLASS" :')

Actually they do, they are on here....They are known as the Platinums and Diamonds....They will wave that Sign and Sail card every chance they get....if they introduce themselves to you it wont be as "Mr & Mrs John Doe" oh no, it will be "Mr & Mrs John Doe - WE ARE DIAMOND CLASS" :')
Are you making fun of Platinum and Diamond members? These are people that spent many thousands of dollars to reach that status. And most of us don't go around bragging about it. At least I don't. I worked very hard for 40 years to earn the money to take my 23 cruises and get to Platinum. I think that's quite an accomplishment.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Forums mobile app

There's a reason Cruise Critic has the reputation it does. That's all I'm sayin'.

It's not unique to CC. The old Carnival Funville forums were exactly the same. Before we took our first cruise a couple years ago, I spent about a year and a half in the Funville forums and literally began to question our decision to try a cruise. I thought, if most cruisers are like the people in that forum, we made a big mistake. Fortunately, it wasn't like that once we got on board. I think a vast majority of the people here are good people. It's just that the ones who aren't so good love to be heard.

I can remember the dining room attire debate raging pretty heavy last summer. The usual suspects claiming their meals were ruined because someone in there was wearing something they didn't approve of. If you concentrate that heavily on someone in that large MDR, who more than likely isn't even in your line of sight unless you're purposely looking, so much so that it ruins your meal, then that person's attire isn't the problem.

Officially no shorts on Elegant night. However don't be trailer trash... wear a collared shirt and pants at the minimum all nights. Not being able to do at least this looks tacky, other guests notice and speaking to former crew, they notice. However officially you'll only get asked to change on formal nights if you don't meet the standard.

Officially no shorts on Elegant night. However don't be trailer trash... wear a collared shirt and pants at the minimum all nights.

Well... this is opinion based, or at least the part about all nights.

You can appreciate several things; shorts have been in the dress guidelines for some time now and the horse is dead.

People book on Carnival for the reasons in the guidelines on dress, cost, ports and having a good time. The host says shorts are ok on casual nights so any objection from a table mate, fellow cruiser or on a computer board is not going to change those that wear them and their compliance.

Associating class with dress is class labeling. If that were retroactive to Bethlehem then we’d all be in trouble.

What else is troubling you within your locus of control? Shorts are here to stay, accepted by the folks with the funnel and it’s time to move on.

I'm 61 years old and Platinum. That and $1.00 won't get you much but after reading this thread I see some folks think we are in a caste system. I wore a shirt, tie and sports coat every day for 30 years. This included a variety of suits.

At my age, comfort is my goal. I wear very nice khaki shorts with a collared 4 button polo shirt on non elegant nights and I up-dress into khaki pants and a dress shirt on elegant nights. I brush my teeth and wear deodorant. I'm bald so I don't comb my hair. Funny thing for me; I've been on 13 cruises and not once did I have a meal spoiled due to something someone else was wearing.

I'm 61 years old and Platinum. That and $1.00 won't get you much but after reading this thread I see some folks think we are in a caste system. I wore a shirt, tie and sports coat every day for 30 years. This included a variety of suits.

At my age, comfort is my goal. I wear very nice khaki shorts with a collared 4 button polo shirt on non elegant nights and I up-dress into khaki pants and a dress shirt on elegant nights. I brush my teeth and wear deodorant. I'm bald so I don't comb my hair. Funny thing for me; I've been on 13 cruises and not once did I have a meal spoiled due to something someone else was wearing.

I’m with you! My hubby was the Director of Operations for a corporation for over 40 years before he retired. He had to dress well for the position. When we started sailing, we dragged his suit along, but that chore wore thin. He no longer wants to wear a suit on a cruise, or even a sport coat, and definitely NEVER a tie! Lol! So he is quite happy in khaki shorts on non elegant nights and khaki pants and either a nice polo or button down on elegant nights. As for me, I once dragged full formal wear, and I was known to bring a pair of shoes to match each dress, but no more. Last cruise I packed only sundresses with one pair of sandals.

Officially no shorts on Elegant night. However don't be trailer trash... wear a collared shirt and pants at the minimum all nights. Not being able to do at least this looks tacky, other guests notice and speaking to former crew, they notice. However officially you'll only get asked to change on formal nights if you don't meet the standard.

Why do so many men feel they have to wear shorts in the evening hours? Ya’ll can’t wear big boy pants for 2 lousy hours?

I think a vast majority of the people here are good people. It's just that the ones who aren't so good love to be heard.

No, you're definitely right. There are some great people here. Then there are some not so great people as well.

The usual suspects claiming their meals were ruined because someone in there was wearing something they didn't approve of. If you concentrate that heavily on someone in that large MDR, who more than likely isn't even in your line of sight unless you're purposely looking, so much so that it ruins your meal, then that person's attire isn't the problem.

I couldn't agree with you more.

wear a collared shirt and pants at the minimum all nights.

Not a chance. I'll wear khakis on elegant night but all other nights it's shorts. Stop looking under my table and my trashiness won't bother you as bad.

I’m with you! My hubby was the Director of Operations for a corporation for over 40 years before he retired. He had to dress well for the position. When we started sailing, we dragged his suit along, but that chore wore thin. He no longer wants to wear a suit on a cruise, or even a sport coat, and definitely NEVER a tie! Lol! So he is quite happy in khaki shorts on non elegant nights and khaki pants and either a nice polo or button down on elegant nights. As for me, I once dragged full formal wear, and I was known to bring a pair of shoes to match each dress, but no more. Last cruise I packed only sundresses with one pair of sandals.

I worked in upper management for 52 years. Suit and tie and all the trappings. One thing I learned was to always dress to the occasion. I wear shorts 90% of the time. For two hours a night I wear big boy pants not a Cub Scout. Tell hubby to buy a $10 pair of khakis from Walmart

Why do so many men feel they have to wear shorts in the evening hours? Ya’ll can’t wear big boy pants for 2 lousy hours?

We don’t have to wear shorts. We wear them because we can, they are allowed and it’s one of the reasons I choose Carnival.

I’m not on vacation to make you happy. I’m within the hosts guidelines.

You asked, I answered. It’s that simple.

I’m with you! My hubby was the Director of Operations for a corporation for over 40 years before he retired. He had to dress well for the position. When we started sailing, we dragged his suit along, but that chore wore thin. He no longer wants to wear a suit on a cruise, or even a sport coat, and definitely NEVER a tie! Lol! So he is quite happy in khaki shorts on non elegant nights and khaki pants and either a nice polo or button down on elegant nights.

Right there... 35 years in a suit or scrubs, 17 cruises, 200 nights on Carnival for many reasons. One of those is casual attire is part of their guidelines.

Reading some of these posts is akin to moving out by the airport and complaining about noise...

Every single person that is posting here with a complaint about shorts on casual nights knew the policy at time of booking. It’s their personal problem, I’m good with the cruise line, I’m good with my wife. She’s as casual as I am.

Edited by BallFour4