Rooms or cabins?

jeanlyon

And it would greatly help my sanity to see forward and aft. Port and starboard, ok you can use larboard, deck not floor, deck head not ceiling, bulkhead not wall - come on you are at sea people. Respect the language of the sea.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

One ship which did have 'the' in her name was The Topaz, the ex-Empress Of Britain operated by Thomson, she had 'The Topaz' painted on the bow and stern (not the front and back!). I remember my in-laws cruising on her in the late 90s and loving it.

I'm finding this thread very entertaining - I too hate it when people refer to ships as boats and have relations who do it deliberately to wind me up.

Love it! It's such a shame really, half the fun of going o a cruise is the difference from a hotel or beach holiday. Same thing with terminology. Port and starboard have all but disappeared and it's not that difficult - port has 4 letters and so does left!

Port and left having 4 letters is how my seagoing father taught me when I was a little girl. I loved visiting him onboard ships.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So I go to the terminal and climb up the ramp onto the boat where I take the elevator to the fifth floor and turn to the left side to find my room number. The numbers get bigger going to the front of the boat so I head for the back. One of the maids in the hallway tell me that should I want some lunch I can go up to the top of the boat where they are serving at the lunch counter. The suit cases are not yet delivered so I turn on the TV and watch some rerun untill I hear the whistle go seven short and one long telling me that I have to go to the safety lecture and find out where the escape boats are in case we have to get off the ship. Ya, that's it, ship .;p

Things have changed. It used to be the pointy end and the round end. Now the round end is the flat end.

And it would greatly help my sanity to see forward and aft. Port and starboard, ok you can use larboard, deck not floor, deck head not ceiling, bulkhead not wall - come on you are at sea people. Respect the language of the sea.

I never heard deck head, only the overhead!

It’s true, you can learn something new every day!

Next time you are aboard ship and entering a harbour, note the colour of the navigation buoys denoting the channel that the ship has to keep within. Those on the (left) port side are red and those on the (right) starboard are green. This colour code is replicated on the ship by its navigation lights. Some cruise lines even assist their guests by having red or green backgrounds woven into their corridor carpets to denote port and starboard, a great help on the resort ships.

49 cruises. 17 ships. 3 liners. 143 ports

My pet hate is when people put ‘the’ in front of ship names. We are going on Aurora soon - not ‘the’ Aurora :')

There is nothing wrong with saying "we are going on the Aurora" as it is simply a contraction of "we are going on the P&O cruise ship Aurora".

It would only be incorrect if someone said "we are going on The Aurora",

However I doubt if anyone can distinguish between "the" and "The".

Edited by insanemagnet

There is nothing wrong with saying "we are going on the Aurora" as it is simply a contraction of "we are going on the P&O cruise ship Aurora".

It would only be incorrect if someone said "we are going on The Aurora",

However I doubt if anyone can distinguish between "the" and "The".

If you say so :'):')

The response earlier from a linguist confirmed the correct terminology.

It's interesting how things can be said incorrectly by so many people that it almost becomes the norm.

For example, more people nowadays seem to say 'I would of....' rather than the correct 'I would have.....'

Anyway, must go, need to get ready for our cruise on Aurora where we hope the see the Aurora Borealis ;)

...for our cruise aboard Aurora? :)

You are quite correct! You will note that I referred to somebody else as being the linguist, rather than myself ;)

I am certainly no English language expert and grammar was never my strong point, but I do know that you don't put 'the' in front of the ship name, so that will have to do :')

Unless you are colour blind in which case you will be all at sea ;p

Indeed, one in twelve males have a colour blindness impairment, whilst about one in two hundred females have it. Mainly red ~ green, hence the almost universal configuration of traffic lights.

Stateroom and Cabin are pretty much the same. Back when there was no bathroom and the beds were upper and lower bunks attached to the bulkhead, those were definitely not staterooms.

Gosh, remember those days. Oriana and Canberra. Thrilled when I eventually got “a view”. Thought I was the bees knees when I had a bathroom. Nowadays it has to be a balcony.

Fond memories.

If you say so :'):')

The response earlier from a linguist confirmed the correct terminology.

It's interesting how things can be said incorrectly by so many people that it almost becomes the norm.

For example, more people nowadays seem to say 'I would of....' rather than the correct 'I would have.....'

Anyway, must go, need to get ready for our cruise on Aurora where we hope the see the Aurora Borealis ;)

‘I would of’ one of my pet hates too Selbourne!

‘I would of’ one of my pet hates too Selbourne!

Definitely (or defiantly as a lot of people spell it) of/ have is the most annoying one for me and seems to be used a lot by quite intelligent people. Also anythink instead of anything as I recently saw written somewhere and I hear it regularly and it makes me cringe.

I could go on the list is quite long.....'done' instead of did ... as a lot of footballers say "we done well" after a match.😠

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

Definitely (or defiantly as a lot of people spell it) of/ have is the most annoying one for me and seems to be used a lot by quite intelligent people. Also anythink instead of anything as I recently saw written somewhere and I hear it regularly and it makes me cringe.

I could go on the list is quite long.....'done' instead of did ... as a lot of footballers say "we done well" after a match.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

I have noticed the 'defiantly' thing, which I had assumed was auto-correct, a device from hell which regularly catches me out :')

Like you, the 'done' instead of 'did' really grates on me. Alan Sugar is the worst for this.

The worst one for me, by far, is the trend nowadays to miss the 'g' off the end of every word (thinkin' askin' cruisin' etc). I watch Sky News a lot and find myself cringing at Beth Rigby, their Political Editor, whose assessment of situations is fantastic, but her words are lost on me as I am so distracted by her appalling annunciation. Sadik Kahn is another. :mad:

Have to say that this thread has given me a really good laugh as my wife makes me feel that I am the only person on Earth who notices these things! Clearly I am not alone :D