Rooms or cabins?

jeanlyon

I think that's a Royal Navy thing. A friend of mine is from a Naval family and has picked it up, he refers to any toilet anywhere as 'the heads'.

While I'm here another thing that annoys me is when cruise ships are referred to as 'liners'.

Wikipedia

An ocean liner is a passenger ship primarily used as a form of transportation across seas or oceans. ... The category does not include ferries or other vessels engaged in short-sea trading, nor dedicated cruise ships where the voyage itself, and not transportation, is the prime purpose of the trip.

So I go to the terminal and climb up the ramp onto the boat where I take the elevator to the fifth floor and turn to the left side to find my room number. The numbers get bigger going to the front of the boat so I head for the back. One of the maids in the hallway tell me that should I want some lunch I can go up to the top of the boat where they are serving at the lunch counter. The suit cases are not yet delivered so I turn on the TV and watch some rerun untill I hear the whistle go seven short and one long telling me that I have to go to the safety lecture and find out where the escape boats are in case we have to get off the ship. Ya, that's it, ship .;p

Translation from North American - So I go to the terminal and climb the gangway to the ship where I take a lift to Deck 5 and turn to port to find my cabin. The numbers are bigger to forward so I head aft. One of the stewards tells me that, should I want lunch, I can go up to the buffet. The luggage has not been delivered yet so I turn on the TV until I hear the ship's alarm signal of seven short and one long blast, reminding me it's time for the muster drill to find out what I should do in case of an evacuation of the vessel.

I want my cruises to be on ships - not floating hotels!!

Not by me, as there was more than one of them. Always just Concorde, or Speedbird 1 etc. I cannot think of Concorde without feeling emotional. I had the great privelige of being on the grass apron alongside the runway as the last ever Concorde to fly landed at Filton. Having landed, the Captain taxied back down to those of us assembled there, turned the plane to face us just a matter of yards from us and bowed the nose cone. I shall never forget that moment for as long as I live.
We have visited that beautiful aircraft now 3 times in Manchester. Quite emotional to see her grounded. Just a travesty to ground them .... the new Airbus just can not compare.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Forums mobile app

Translation from North American - So I go to the terminal and climb the gangway to the ship where I take a lift to Deck 5 and turn to port to find my cabin. The numbers are bigger to forward so I head aft. One of the stewards tells me that, should I want lunch, I can go up to the buffet. The luggage has not been delivered yet so I turn on the TV until I hear the ship's alarm signal of seven short and one long blast, reminding me it's time for the muster drill to find out what I should do in case of an evacuation of the vessel.

Looking for the “like” button

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Perhaps if they designed them to look like ships rather than slab sided tower blocks your wish might be achieved, but with the direction P&O are going you are definitely staying in a hotel at sea.

WELL DONE ! Agree completely

We have visited that beautiful aircraft now 3 times in Manchester. Quite emotional to see her grounded. Just a travesty to ground them .... the new Airbus just can not compare.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Forums mobile app

If you are a fan on Concorde and other aircraft you must visit IWM Duxford, Cambridgeshire. The Concorde there is the number 2 prototype and has never had a passenger on board. It is now "indoors" like many exhibits making it a good place to visit even when it's raining. They have put a few seats in it to replicate what a standard airliner version would be like. There is a hatch in the middle where you can jump out the bottom of the aircraft if they had a Mayday requiring test crew evacuation. Extensive aero and military exhibits on the massive site.

Regards John

I too am one of those 'sad' traditionalists who laments the changing of ship-board terminology. I definitely prefer Cabin to Room, Deck to Floor, Purser's Desk to Reception, Bow to Front and Stern to back. I also think we should have a Purser and a Cruise Director rather than a Hotel Manager and an Entertainment Manager.

In terms of odd modern-day Grammar, the one that is currently annoying me the most is the number of people starting a sentence with the word "So".

Oh Andrew, I thought it was just me! "So" also in answer to someone above, a ship like Oriana is definitely more like a liner than Ventura or the bigger ones. I emigrated to Canada on a liner back in 1967, the Cunard Sylvania and I came back 2 years later on the QEII, another liner, so I suppose the Cunard ships are more like liners.

To be specific one would use the full name, Fred Smith but as a family member, my brother Fred, or my neighbour Fred. However, in the example I gave regarding "our Fred", he was a family member. I wondered if this would be used if Fred was but a neighbour. I have used the expression since returning home and garnered a smile or two :D

I might be shot down here, but AFAIK the use of "our" before a person's name to denote a family member is northern usage. It's something I use myself and only ever to refer to a family member. Maybe it stems from an era when people had bigger and extended families and the same name might crop up several times: our John, i.e. the John in our immediate family rather than the John who is my cousin Betty's son?

I might be shot down here, but AFAIK the use of "our" before a person's name to denote a family member is northern usage. It's something I use myself and only ever to refer to a family member. Maybe it stems from an era when people had bigger and extended families and the same name might crop up several times: our John, i.e. the John in our immediate family rather than the John who is my cousin Betty's son?

I won't shoot you down as I understand where your coming from .

Just to be clear ,did you mean your Fred or our Fred or that Fred that lives over the road ?

Maybe the other Fred who moved away ? Unless there was another Fred ? :confused:;p

It's clear to me without them prefixes ,we wouldn't have a clue who we were talking about .;)

I won't shoot you down as I understand where your coming from .

Just to be clear ,did you mean your Fred or our Fred or that Fred that lives over the road ?

Maybe the other Fred who moved away ? Unless there was another Fred ? :confused:;p

It's clear to me without them prefixes ,we wouldn't have a clue who we were talking about .;)

Ey up, so we definitely need a "Like" button. :D

Oh Andrew, I thought it was just me! "So" also in answer to someone above, a ship like Oriana is definitely more like a liner than Ventura or the bigger ones. I emigrated to Canada on a liner back in 1967, the Cunard Sylvania and I came back 2 years later on the QEII, another liner, so I suppose the Cunard ships are more like liners.

The beautiful Norway was a liner, too, before she became a cruise ship. I believe the Cunard ships are the last of the liners.

In terms of odd modern-day Grammar, the one that is currently annoying me the most is the number of people starting a sentence with the word "So".

“So” as the meaningless beginning of a sentence bothers me, but not as much as “I mean”, as in “I mean as I got off the bus I saw my friend”.