Cruise just before dry dock

pathi

Anyone done a cruise the week before dry dock? I am the Crown the week before she goes to dry dock. I have been ignoring this fact until now. For some reason I am feeling apprehensive now.

Any experience?

Also will the ship still have butter?? ;)

We were on the Star the week before dry dock in December. There were no indications that the ship was going into dry dock...except that the Crew was excited to have some time off and work some shorter days. Same food, shows and activities.

Anyone done a cruise the week before dry dock? I am the Crown the week before she goes to dry dock. I have been ignoring this fact until now. For some reason I am feeling apprehensive now.

Any experience?

Also will the ship still have butter?? ;)

I was on the Caribbean Princess for a b2b that lead up to her two week dry dock last March. Actually, a fantastic cruise..food, entertainment, the crew , as usual, were extremely friendly. Did not see or feel any skimping. Never had trouble getting extra butter for that extra roll!! At the last port before disembarking, there was a group of workmen who came aboard for measuring..but never in the way. Last morning, while waiting to "be called", cranes started loading equipment and materials on the lido deck. Passengers were asked, that morning, not to go out on balcony due to crane operations.

I was also on the Golden years ago on her last cruise before dry dock..again..no difference, except for water issues that seemed to be plaguing that ship for awhile.

I had a lot of trouble on the second voyage of the new ship Royal ( little to no air conditioning for 14 days) and as a result..will never sail a ship under six months old...lol

Exactly. My experience is that they sometimes start preparation activities in areas that do not affect the quality of the cruise for the passengers. The one more likely to be affected is the first cruise after a dry dock--there may be some things that didn't get finished and are being completed. Again, these are planned to minimize passenger interference.

If the ship is having a normal maintenance drydock, there should be very little effect on the cruise just prior to the drydock.

If the ship is having major inside renovations (adding new concepts, replacing restaurants, etc.) which require a longer drydock period, then often work will start during that last voyage and may cause some passenger areas to be off limits before the cruise ends.

We've sailed Princess once before a dry dock and on two other cruise lines.

Each one was different.

On one you would never have known.

On another they started work a couple of days before and closed off one area.

On a third you got the sense from the crew the last couple of days they were focused on it.

In all cases we had a nice time and would still do it again.

Keith

Anyone know what’s involved in the crowns dry dock, we sail on her immediately after
We were on the KP several weeks ago and got to do the Ultimate Ship Tour. We were told that the drydock is primarily for hull maintenance, so should not impact your cruise at all, I should think. And yes, there was enough butter, and more brought on request!

Sent from my SM-G930R6 using Forums mobile app