Lack of "Free" Shade at Half Moon Cay

baggal

We just returned yesterday from a 7 day Western Caribbean itinerary on the Nieuw Amsterdam. A stop at Half Moon Cay is one of the reasons I returned to HAL in the Caribbean. The last time I was there was exactly a year ago in February 2017.

This time, we noticed that there are many more clamshells on the beach - going all the way down to the last lifeguard station. Unfortunately, they are under the trees that have previously provided "free" shade for those of us who used to just pick a lounge and then move it with the shade.

By about 12:30 p.m. a security guard?/life guard? came by and told us that we were no longer able to follow the shade. The loungers had to stay in place and leave a clear path from the lifeguard stand to the water. I get that. But you are also no longer able to move the lounger back under the trees because the clamshells are there. He also told us they needed a clear path in front of the loungers for emergencies. And finally, he explained that in general there are no shady lounger areas after 1 p.m. Full sun.

So there you have it. If you want to sit in the shade after 12:30 - 1:00 p.m. on Half Moon Cay you are forced to rent a clamshell or a cabana.

Not nice.

Thank you for the information.

I agree -- not nice.

I can understand why they have added more clam shells. The last few times we were there, we were there with another ship. Two large HAL ships means more people on HMC and more people wanting shade -- so they are going to make you pay for it.

There has been tremendous eriosion at HMC and the amount of beach area is very much decreased from the nasty storms that have blown through the Bahamas in the years HAL has ben going yto HMC. There is less beach and thus smaller amount of space for all the lounges. HAL cannotb ring the beach to the size it once was.

I surely cannot be the only one who has noticed how much beach has washed, blown away from first years HAL began going to HMC ?

There has been tremendous eriosion at HMC and the amount of beach area is very much decreased from the nasty storms that have blown through the Bahamas in the years HAL has ben going yto HMC. There is less beach and thus smaller amount of space for all the lounges. HAL cannotb ring the beach to the size it once was.

I surely cannot be the only one who has noticed how much beach has washed, blown away from first years HAL began going to HMC ?

Must be a great many people willing to pay he moderate price to use the clamshells, seeing OP says there are so many If peoople did not want t to use them, HAL would not have so many.

I can appreciate them not wanting passengers to move the free beach loungers. There are thousands of you, and only few of them to put them back in order once the ship pulls away. We have always found shade under the trees, but it may take walking up the beach a bit -- which is quite wonderful anyway to get away from the crowds and noise.

I have never found much shade after noon on the beach at HMC in all the years I have been going there. Though I did notice somewhat less at Thanksgiving as there seemed to be fewer palms due to the storms.

We just go as early as possible, enjoy the beach till it gets too hot, then head to the picnic area, which has lots of shaded places to eat. By the time we are done, we are usually ready to go back to the ship anyway.

It would be nice if umbrellas were available as an option.

I have never found much shade after noon on the beach at HMC in all the years I have been going there. Though I did notice somewhat less at Thanksgiving as there seemed to be fewer palms due to the storms.

We just go as early as possible, enjoy the beach till it gets too hot, then head to the picnic area, which has lots of shaded places to eat. By the time we are done, we are usually ready to go back to the ship anyway.

It would be nice if umbrellas were available as an option.

I agree that in addition to beach erosion, the tropical storms have blown down many palms which, in the pas t provided shade.

Thanks for the tip.

Nothing stopping one from bringing their own clamshell shade:

https://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toys/53-Inch-Tall-Beach-Cabana-Sun-Shade-Shelter-UPF100/17240310/product.html?refccid=DVJBTOKCVBKJOXCGUQ7XPEVCPQ&searchidx=11&kwds=&rfmt=

The title is "53 Inch Tall Beach Cabana Sun Shade Shelter UPF100" in case the link does not work.

igraf

A bit off topic, but we're also just back from the same cruise and were delighted that we could make HMC, since two days prior, the sea conditions were not safe for tendering. We had a great day enjoying the sun with hats and sunscreen and lots of time in that gorgeous water.:)

The first time I visited Half Moon Cay was not long after a hurricane had past through and there was serious salt-water intrusion which had killed off most of the vegetation. There was NO shade at all -- on the beaches or in the little tender landing area; it was before most of the construction had been done. I spent enough time on the island to get off the tender and get right back on the next one going back.

My visit in December was marred by heavy rain, but I did notice a lack of potential shade for all the people enjoying the beach. My husband had planned on spending a beach day, but as it turned out, we got drenched so he abandoned the idea. I do not understand the lack of shade, but then I'm not a beach person and would much rather have tables & chairs on the beach under umbrellas a which to read and enjoy my book than loungers.

Obviously I'm not the target market for Half Moon Cay in general, but from my first visit to my most recent one, they have not done anything that would make the island any more appealing to me. And charging for the precious little shade there is certainly won't make it more appealing.

I have never been much of a Half Moon person anyway. It's super crowded, there is a long line for mediocre food, you can't always get in because of tendering, and the snorkeling is pathetic. I usually just go early, swim and walk the beach and go back on the boat for lunch. Sometimes I don't even get off the boat, especially if 2 ships are there. I've just never seen the appeal.

I can appreciate them not wanting passengers to move the free beach loungers. There are thousands of you, and only few of them to put them back in order once the ship pulls away. We have always found shade under the trees, but it may take walking up the beach a bit -- which is quite wonderful anyway to get away from the crowds and noise.

Yes, I see that as a safety issue.

For us its not an issue...at all! Several years ago we tried a Caribbean cruise on HAL (we are 5 Star Mariners) when we spent 2 weeks on the Westerdam. Although we have had many wonderful voyages on HAL (all over the world) we quickly realized that cruising HAL in the Caribbean was a huge mistake....never to be repeated. The bottom line, for us, is that there are many other cruise lines in those waters...and we find most far superior to HAL in that particular part of the world. In those days, listening to the HAL Cats playing music from the 30s and 40s was not what we wanted to hear in the Caribbean.....where Bob Marley would be a good starter. And the HAL banks with their keyboards trying to replace real instruments...is a far cry from a decent Steel Drum Caribbean band....or even a rock band (and I am a Senior).

And then there is all the fun and excitement we find on HAL after 9:30 :(. We thought that what works well for HAL in most markets....fails miserably in the Caribbean. And finally we should add that on our Westerdam cruise we spent several fewer hours in most ports then other cruise lines. HAL would leave at 3:30 or 4 while most other lines were in port until 5 or 6.

Hank

Okay. But this is about lack of shade on HMC. You've made your I-choose-not-to-sail-on-HAL point. Again. On an unrelated thread. Again. But thanks though.

Getting a clamshell this time as a splurge..most of the time the beach loungers suffice.Some people are just too picky about stuff that is out of their control.:*

Recent Veendam-West Caribbean cruise (Dec '17Jan '18) had a four person Cuban combo, that played both poolside and in the Crows Nest. Live and lively music on this HAL Caribbean cruise. Have been on another HAL Caribbean cruise (NA- Feb '17) also in the past year where indeed they did have steel drums bands onboard, playing poolside. Not sure how anyone can take any single shot passenger report, with no mention of ship or date and make it a blanket statement for all HAL ships for all time. Unfortunate way to get information.

Recent Veendam-West Caribbean cruise (Dec '17Jan '18) had a four person Cuban combo, that played both poolside and in the Crows Nest. Live and lively music on this HAL Caribbean cruise. Have been on another HAL Caribbean cruise (NA- Feb '17) also in the past year where indeed they did have steel drums bands onboard, playing poolside. Not sure how anyone can take any single shot passenger report, with no mention of ship or date and make it a blanket statement for all HAL ships for all time. Unfortunate way to get information.

OP here so I guess its ok to respond to an off topic post. When I said "just off" the NA, I meant it. To be specific, we sailed the NA February 24, 2018 to March 3, 2018. There was no steel band music, either individual or complete band during the entire cruise. There was a Mariachi band at the aft pool in the evening the day we had a late departure from Cozumel (11 p.m.) but if you went to dinner in the MDR you missed most of it. And what was the entertainment that night in the main stage - the CD showed the most non-Caribbean, non-festive movie available - "Marshall." A good movie but not, IMO, a good choice for a Caribbean cruise. Back to my cabin again for more Downton Abbey.

OLsSalt, you are fond of you the expression, "if you are bored, then you are boring." I am neither but IMO the HAL Caribbean cruise that I recently sailed was. Which is the shame of it all, a beautiful ship that can be so attractive to so many more cruisers.

For us its not an issue...at all! Several years ago we tried a Caribbean cruise on HAL (we are 5 Star Mariners) when we spent 2 weeks on the Westerdam. Although we have had many wonderful voyages on HAL (all over the world) we quickly realized that cruising HAL in the Caribbean was a huge mistake....never to be repeated. The bottom line, for us, is that there are many other cruise lines in those waters...and we find most far superior to HAL in that particular part of the world. In those days, listening to the HAL Cats playing music from the 30s and 40s was not what we wanted to hear in the Caribbean.....where Bob Marley would be a good starter. And the HAL banks with their keyboards trying to replace real instruments...is a far cry from a decent Steel Drum Caribbean band....or even a rock band (and I am a Senior).

And then there is all the fun and excitement we find on HAL after 9:30 :(. We thought that what works well for HAL in most markets....fails miserably in the Caribbean. And finally we should add that on our Westerdam cruise we spent several fewer hours in most ports then other cruise lines. HAL would leave at 3:30 or 4 while most other lines were in port until 5 or 6.

Hank

I completely agree!

And again, to satisfy the cheerleaders, there was no live music at all during the daytime at the main pool. This was on my NA cruise from 2/24/18 to 3/3/18.