Prepare to be....DISAPPOINTED!!

And I only picked out more noticeable things...I didn't harp on the little things.

YO

Well IMHO you did only harp on the little things, in the OP, as well as in #1 - #14.

But as I said before we are all different and look for different things.

Enjoy your future cruises wherever you might go.

I don’t really recognise these issues from our Sep 17 Cruise on Indy. Sure there were a couple of issues but they were amazing in reacting to and resolving them when brought to the attention. Maybe you should have done that to give them a chance to help rather than keep quiet and rush to be negative about them in your review and on this forum? I find the mark of an organisation is often how they deal with a problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cruise was 2/19/2018, not 9/2017

And I am giving them a chance to respond. I have mailed and emailed a letter to RCCL CEO Richard Fain as well as RCCL Customer Care. I have not received anything back as of yet other than a from letter form RCCL Customer Care saying they received my correspondence. I am not looking for anything other than them to GET BETTER. We love to cruise, but if this cruise was the direction the big 3 are headed (CC, RCCL, NCL), then we will have to start to look elsewhere. What good is a nice ship if it's not kept up, the food sucks, and the staff are not nice.

YO

Well IMHO you did only harp on the little things, in the OP, as well as in #1 - #14.

But as I said before we are all different and look for different things.

Enjoy your future cruises wherever you might go.

You're entitled to your opinion as am I.

Again, we all have standards.

I just think they can do better. Not what it used to be.

YO

I read your review. Your stateroom sounded dreadful. I hope that the people at RCCL headquarters are following your review. Please let us know how they reply.

I don't think my review has been posted yet (just submitted today). Our stateroom (itself) was one of the positives of our cruise. Big and roomy as we had a corner/aft room.

YO

My 3 and 5 year olds wouldn't care one bit about the song at the FlowRider. They wouldn't have recognized the lyrics anyways. We also don't shield our kids from such inane things like a curse word in a song. Sounds like they were playing some great music up there, makes me want to go - and I'll take the kids, too.

Please, don't complain to Royal and ruin it for the rest of us.

You're entitled to your opinion as am I.

Again, we all have standards.

I just think they can do better. Not what it used to be.

YO

Thanks for posting and yes it bothered you enough to submit a letter to Royal corporate so it was more than little things for you when they all added up.

For many they would just roll with it because 'were on vacation' but if you feel differently and some things like vomit on deck are legit anywhere anytime bad for anybody.

I actually didn't start taking photos until after the argument with our waiter about our soup. (And that was evening of Day 2 of the cruise). Didn't intend to, but bad stuff just kept rolling. You can complain all you want, but sometimes a photo is worth a thousand words.

We made the best of our cruise and had a good time with our friends, but...just totally disappointed in RCCL, If this is the caliber of your vacation, so be it....everyone has standards...and RCCL didn't even come close to living up to mine.

YO

Actually very often in traditional French onion soup, the cheese is browned not just melted. This makes the cheese crispy at times. Best soup is a combination of crispy and melting cheese. So your waiter was not completely wrong. It may have not been how you like your soup but it wasn’t “wrong”.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

OP, sorry for your disappointment. I think little things can be let go (like the lights). From the picture I couldn't tell what was wrong with the banana split, but I am surprised to see that they put those veggies/fruit on the plate like that. Also, I am like you, and think that the music is not appropriate and would be upset too if my kids were among it on a family ship, middle of the day. Having said that, I hope these didn't ruin your cruise.

I have to agree with Cadianmama3- Many times I have ordered French onion soup even in five star restaurants and the cheese was very hard as its browned on the top. I think your waiter gave you the comment she obviously made that comment because she knew it was made that way.

About the vomit, I sure hope you reported it to somebody, its very common that somebody vomit in a spot that is away and out of the open to people, I am sure no worker spotted it or it would of been reported and cleaned. ;)

Actually very often in traditional French onion soup, the cheese is browned not just melted. This makes the cheese crispy at times. Best soup is a combination of crispy and melting cheese. So your waiter was not completely wrong. It may have not been how you like your soup but it wasn’t “wrong”.

They were serving French Onion Soup and Green Lentil Soup in the Windjammer on the Liberty a couple of days ago. There was a dish next to both vats of soup with the "crouton and cheese" things in it.

I took a few and put them in my lentil soup.

They WERE hard as a rock.

I'm not surprised to read Yo's comments.

And I agree that rotting lettuce and those carrots and grapes are not only unacceptable but a health violation. RC supposedly follows very strict rules about how long things can be out, can be served, etc. These items show that those protocols were not followed.

The lights - meh - no big deal.

But a ship going into drydock is not any sort of excuse for bad service or unhealthy food.

I have to agree with Cadianmama3- Many times I have ordered French onion soup even in five star restaurants and the cheese was very hard as its browned on the top. I think your waiter gave you the comment she obviously made that comment because she knew it was made that way.

About the vomit, I sure hope you reported it to somebody, its very common that somebody vomit in a spot that is away and out of the open to people, I am sure no worker spotted it or it would of been reported and cleaned. ;)

He said that it was cordoned off. Obviously the ship's crew had seen it and nothing had been done to clean it up.

Hi Mom! Now that you use the terminology the cheese was hard as a rock, I changed my attitude about that to-:o:eek:

I agree, things should not be wilted, her last inspection was September 3, 2017, they are generally inspected twice a year so she should be inspected anytime now.

Wilted veggies are not what causes norovirus.

Exactly. FO soup is supposed to have a crispy crunchy cheese top.

He said that it was cordoned off. Obviously the ship's crew had seen it and nothing had been done to clean it up.

Cordoning is a start of cleaning it.

My son threw up at the grocery store once and it took a good 10 minutes for them to get towards the work of cleaning it up properly. And they sent us away before they started actually cleaning (bc of course my son was sick), so I don’t know how long it actually took.

My 3 and 5 year olds wouldn't care one bit about the song at the FlowRider. They wouldn't have recognized the lyrics anyways. We also don't shield our kids from such inane things like a curse word in a song. Sounds like they were playing some great music up there, makes me want to go - and I'll take the kids, too.

Please, don't complain to Royal and ruin it for the rest of us.

You are correct. The smaller kids didn't care nor bother with the song. They too probably didn't know any better. I don't shield my children from profanity either, but I don't put them in an arena with it. It's called being a parent. It's just not appropriate venue!

And yes, I personally like that song....but not for my 11 & 13 year old. I don't encourage that language. Will they learn it some day, probably...but hopefully I can instill enough values and morals in their life that they don't use it on a day to day basis.

YO

You are correct. it is browned and melted. Usually a combination. Coming from someone who cooks on a regular basis and caters on the side....IT WAS BURNT, plain and simple. The entire top cracked and fell into the soup. There was nothing stringy about the cheese.

YO

They were serving French Onion Soup and Green Lentil Soup in the Windjammer on the Liberty a couple of days ago. There was a dish next to both vats of soup with the "crouton and cheese" things in it.

I took a few and put them in my lentil soup.

They WERE hard as a rock.

I'm not surprised to read Yo's comments.

And I agree that rotting lettuce and those carrots and grapes are not only unacceptable but a health violation. RC supposedly follows very strict rules about how long things can be out, can be served, etc. These items show that those protocols were not followed.

The lights - meh - no big deal.

But a ship going into drydock is not any sort of excuse for bad service or unhealthy food.

You're right, the lights are NOT a big deal! But in the grand scheme of things, (the food, the service, the vomit, cleanliness, etc)...it's just poor management. That's what I was trying to convey. The fact that the ship was going into dry dock shouldn't make a damn bit of difference. I don't want to sit on stained chairs. I don't care to eat cold or overcooked food.

Again, we all have standards! Whether or not you agree with mine...makes no difference. Simply stating my opinion of this corporation and how they run things.

YO

I am curious OP, what specifically did you request for son in the teen center that wasn't provided, does he have special needs? I would also suggest you want the show Mega Foods on Netflix, episode 6. It would appear to me that the small things got you upset and it snowballed from there and turnes small easily rectifiable things, the sofa bed, the Nana split, the carrots for example into a self fullfilling prophecy for you that the cruise was disappointing. When you go looking for problems rather than solutions you will always find them.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

I am curious OP, what specifically did you request for son in the teen center that wasn't provided, does he have special needs? I would also suggest you want the show Mega Foods on Netflix, episode 6. It would appear to me that the small things got you upset and it snowballed from there and turnes small easily rectifiable things, the sofa bed, the Nana split, the carrots for example into a self fullfilling prophecy for you that the cruise was disappointing. When you go looking for problems rather than solutions you will always find them.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

Trust me, was not looking for problems. Not even one to really jump on the bandwagon of complaining. It was just one thing after another with this cruise.

YO

Just a note on #11 from your list of complaints - once you are within so many nautical miles of the coast, everything has to shut down per laws/guidelines. That is a common occurrence and not something that can be changed on any cruise line.

The unlit sign letters I too can understand and put down to being close to a dry dock visit. But it is unclear to me how a dry dock would fix issues related to rotting lettuce and dried out carrots.

Going into dry dock does affect a little bit of everything...from the lights being out to things like "rotting" lettuce and carrots. And that is because it is likely that a lot of the crew members contracts will be expiring as it goes into dry dock. So therefore their attention to detail is probably not quite what it was when they started, especially if they are not re-upping immediately. I took a cruise a number of years ago the week before it was re-positioning out of that region and we heard from a number of crew members that their contract was up...we did notice little things hear and there, but not enough to disappoint us or ruin our week. This does not make it okay...but it kind of is what it is...a bit of human nature I suppose. I am sure we have all had that last day before a vacation where our motivation at work was lacking.

Food is what the food is. I am not a foodie...so I am not picky and I find pretty much all food on a cruise to range from decent all the way to really good...some stuff is better than others...never affects my experience. Yes, overall quality has probably decreased as well as the service back from when I took my first cruise 18 years ago. It's the nature of these mega ships and cruising these major lines...which has been discussed at length on these boards.

I would not say the lettuce was rotting...wilted yes...as someone mentioned happens when warm food is placed on it. If I'm on a cruise ship and have banana split in my hands...the least of my concerns is the dish it is served on.

I would not be overly appalled with the vomit unless I walked back by a few hours later and it was still there. I would guess that not every crew member is properly trained on cleaning up vomit...as there are health and safety regulations in place for the employees safety. So I would have assumed that a wait staff employee was notified, they sectioned it off while the appropriate personal was notified. I would've walked by, thought it was gross...and probably never even given it a second thought for the rest of my trip or when I got home.

All that is pretty minor in my opinion. Carrots and lettuce were garnish. Neon lights are not exactly as simple as replacing a bulb. The Rage song shouldn't have been played (or at least the non clean version) but a simple complaint to the cruise director probably would have kept it from happening again.

I'm not saying that any of the above complaints aren't legit, only that they seem pretty minor to me and not something I would allow to ruin my cruise.

That's why nothing changes for the better. People can't except the fact that the line keeps cutting back and caring less because people don't say anything and keep on paying the outrageous prices. These are supposed to be 4-5 star cruise lines, you shouldn't have to point out their shortcomings, or live with them. You are getting a Dollar Store product at a Sax Fifth Avenue price. The saying "you get what you pay for" isn't relevant to cruising.

We went from 40-60 days a year to 0 last year, not just because of the price but the quality of the product as it is. They set the level of expectations when we started sailing 15 years ago and until about four years ago they met or exceeded it everytime.